AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Hey everyone, 

I tried answering  my own question from earlier in the thread about dealing with a strong static shooting and magic list like hallowheart. But using mostly what I had / minimal new stuff until my Kata and crawler arrive and are all done. I thought about going for a double batallion list of Shield Corps and the Katakrosian Deathglaive. My idea is to hit hard right away with the battalion units and the liege. Throw in a lot of RD points for the offense and still have a point and the free shieldwall in case there is combat for the mortek guard first round.

Basically looks like this: 

• Liege Kav 
    • Helm of the Ordained
    • General
  • Bone Shaper
    • Godbone armour
  • Bone Shaper
    • Artisans key
  • Mortek Guard x 20 - Swords
  • Mortek Guard x 10 - Swords

• 1 unit Morghast Harbinger 
  • 1 Unit Stalker 
  • 1 Unit Stalker

• Mortek Shield Corp
  • Katakrosian death glaive
  • Prismatic palisade
  • Soulstealer carrion
  • Bone-tithe shrieker

There is still tweaking to be done, like if the bone-tithe shrieker is worth it. My idea is to project the +1 to hit in more places. As i am not taking the soul mason (which is another consideration). 

The idea with palisade is block the line of site to move up. But against something like hallowheart I'm not sure its worth it. They would easily dispell it their next turn with its low cast value, but my thinking would be the -1 to hit from it. Although it would need the 5+ and then they would have their own 5+ save on top. Might not be worth it. 

What do you guys think? What about the double battalion? Its only "80" but with added endless spells that nees taking it does add up. Could easily add another mortek unit. However it does provide a nice extra benefit and extra RDP. 

Edited by Heijoshin

Hey guys!

I'm new to the Ossiarch Bonereapers, having only played Stormcast previously. I'm currently building up my army but can anyone let me know what they think to my list? any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated whilst I learn the army. Thanks :)

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers - Legion: Mortis Praetorians

LEADERS

Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500) - General

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)

Mortisan Boneshaper (130) - Artefact : Artificer's Blade - Lore of Mortisans : Reinforce Battle-shields

UNITS

10 x Mortek Guard (130) - Nadirite Blade and Shield - 1 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

40 x Mortek Guard (440) - Nadirite Spear and Shield - 4 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

40 x Mortek Guard (440) - Nadirite Spear and Shield - 4 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 126

I'm completely new to playing AoS but I love the look of the bonereapers and it's got me wanting to play.

My only issue is I have no experience with building lists or anything I've only ever been a painter for both 40k and AoS models, never found any gaming clubs which were local to me in order to learn how to play.

I have the feast of bones models for the bonereapers and also a Harvester because I liked the look of the model and I'm going to start painting these this weekend but any tips I could get on building lists would be greatly appreciated.

I'm completely new to playing AoS but I love the look of the bonereapers and it's got me wanting to play.

My only issue is I have no experience with building lists or anything I've only ever been a painter for both 40k and AoS models, never found any gaming clubs which were local to me in order to learn how to play.

I have the feast of bones models for the bonereapers and also a Harvester because I liked the look of the model and I'm going to start painting these this weekend but any tips I could get on building lists would be greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, KhaosOP said:

I'm completely new to playing AoS but I love the look of the bonereapers and it's got me wanting to play...

Sounds great! Finding people to play with is half the fun too, wargamers are usually easy to approach and talk to and more than happy to share knowledge and ideas.

For list building, your first stop should be the builder here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

You can start with a 1000 point list for example, choosing the bonereapers as allegiance and faction as well to draw units from. You will get handy lists with point costs and simply click to add the unit to the list.

As you will see for 1000 pts 2+ battleline units are required and 1+ leader is required. With the feast of bones box and a harvester you got a lot of heavy hitters and lack some battleline, as only the 10 mortek guard in the box are battleline. Your only leader from the box is a named character, and while cool he is not really that great, I however proxy his model as a soulmason, which uses the same base size and is much more flexible.

Here is an example of a 1000 point list, this requires you get a Liege Kavalos model and a box of Mortek guard:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Units
3 x Necropolis Stalkers (200)

Behemoths
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 54

I would like some input on a peculiar problem caused by an upcoming event in March I am attending. It is a weekend campaign, starting with lists of 1200 points with potential to increase most likely up to around 1600 across games.

There are some limitations, such as no artifacts at all being used and no named characters being the most important for list building.

There is also a general pointer advocating fun and maybe not taking absolute beast meta lists.

Now I want to use my bonereapers, and with the restrictions above, that limits some options as well. My main concern is Petrifex, as obviously that makes a HUGE difference. If I make a mixed list instead of just guard spam as petrifex, would that still be "that guy"? I don't really think so myself, but I would like some opinions on the matter. My idea of an initial 1200 pts list is:

Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
3 x Immortis Guard (200)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)

Total: 1200 

I split the Mortek into 2 to not just make a wall, also taking deathriders and immortis instead of stalkers. This is a funny thing though, as I am knowingly taking suboptimal choices here, but I think running without petrifex especially with the restrictions in place at this point level, there is just no point in using other legions.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Kavalos Lance (120)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

- OR -

Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
6 x Necropolis Stalkers (400)
2 x Morghast Harbingers (210)
Mortek Crawler (200)
Katakrosian Deathglaive (80)
Soulstealer Carrion (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 115

Which list has the better 'bones' to start with? I'm not necessarily looking for an optimized list, just something that's a bit of an all comers list to make use of the most models I've got, and get experience with the rules of each. *I'm just starting out*

I decided to try a scheme inspires by the Eternals of Magic the Gathering's more recent sets. I think I found a new scheme to repaint all my stuff with 😅 Though I should find a better way to do the purple glow from the eyes

IMG_20200108_231636.jpg

Edited by Arcian
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

12 hours ago, Jackwinfield1990 said:

Hey guys!

I'm new to the Ossiarch Bonereapers, having only played Stormcast previously. I'm currently building up my army but can anyone let me know what they think to my list? any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated whilst I learn the army. Thanks :)

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers - Legion: Mortis Praetorians

LEADERS

Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis (500) - General

Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)

Mortisan Boneshaper (130) - Artefact : Artificer's Blade - Lore of Mortisans : Reinforce Battle-shields

UNITS

10 x Mortek Guard (130) - Nadirite Blade and Shield - 1 x Soulcleaver Greatblades

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 126

I think you have too few units and too many points tied up into 2 heroes.  I would personally drop either Katakros or Arkhan and take some smaller heroes and/or a support unit like a harvester or a catapult.  I would also only do 1 big blob of Mortrek (40) and make the other 2 units 20.  I think defensively the 20s are a lot easier to hang around and need less baby sitting.  If you want to take 10 imho you want to just spam 3 units of 10 and pump points elsewhere.

If you can balance out the points more in your list I think it will be a lot better.  If however you are after more fun lists then by all means pump points into your favourite models (although I would still try and get an extra unit in and balance out the guard)

18 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Sounds great! Finding people to play with is half the fun too, wargamers are usually easy to approach and talk to and more than happy to share knowledge and ideas.

For list building, your first stop should be the builder here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

You can start with a 1000 point list for example, choosing the bonereapers as allegiance and faction as well to draw units from. You will get handy lists with point costs and simply click to add the unit to the list.

As you will see for 1000 pts 2+ battleline units are required and 1+ leader is required. With the feast of bones box and a harvester you got a lot of heavy hitters and lack some battleline, as only the 10 mortek guard in the box are battleline. Your only leader from the box is a named character, and while cool he is not really that great, I however proxy his model as a soulmason, which uses the same base size and is much more flexible.

Here is an example of a 1000 point list, this requires you get a Liege Kavalos model and a box of Mortek guard:

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)
Mortisan Soulmason (140)

Battleline
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)

Units

Behemoths

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 54

Thanks so much for the reply.

Looks like a good starting point for an army there, now all I need to do is find someone willing to show me how to play and somewhere to play lol 

Can someone point out what "Pall of Doom"? It seems to be a spell that soul reapers can cast, but I dont see it anywhere.

For reference the Luminscythe artifact gives a a soul reaper-1 to hit in melee and plus one to cast when casting Soul Blast, Pall of Doom, or any of the Mortisan Spells.

2 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

Can someone point out what "Pall of Doom"? It seems to be a spell that soul reapers can cast, but I dont see it anywhere.

For reference the Luminscythe artifact gives a a soul reaper-1 to hit in melee and plus one to cast when casting Soul Blast, Pall of Doom, or any of the Mortisan Spells.

It is the realm spell if you play in Shyish

So I'm confused. People are saying that Bonereapers are this S tier army and yet my play group is not worried about playing against me. I have lost more games than I've won. My play group plays at 1500 points with Ogors, Khorne, and FEC and I feel like even with Petrifex and rerolling saves I still lose more Mortek than I can bring back and I just get wrecked. After i lose a squad of 20 mortek guard i feel like i have nothing really threatening anymore and with no presence on the table.

TLDR I feel like I might be playing the army wrong. What are the general ideas for playing this army? How do I make my army this S tier powerhouse that everyone fears? If its helpful I own 1 liege, 1 of each unnamed mortisan, 40 guard, 5 kavaloi, 2 harvesters, and 6 Stalkers.

2 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

So I'm confused. People are saying that Bonereapers are this S tier army and yet my play group is not worried about playing against me. I have lost more games than I've won. My play group plays at 1500 points with Ogors, Khorne, and FEC and I feel like even with Petrifex and rerolling saves I still lose more Mortek than I can bring back and I just get wrecked. After i lose a squad of 20 mortek guard i feel like i have nothing really threatening anymore and with no presence on the table.

TLDR I feel like I might be playing the army wrong. What are the general ideas for playing this army? How do I make my army this S tier powerhouse that everyone fears? If its helpful I own 1 liege, 1 of each unnamed mortisan, 40 guard, 5 kavaloi, 2 harvesters, and 6 Stalkers.

What's the list you brought against your opponents, and if you're fielding harvesters are you using your guard to bubble wrap them?

8 hours ago, Bryan I Guess said:

Sounds like a solid enough model base, but the factions you mention do have quite some mortal wound output which hurts a lot, to counter that you could do something like the list below. If you are playing modified vanguard and not battlehost you can potentially replace the Kavalos with a unit of Stalkers.

Use guards as screens and then counter attack. Discipline points will be low, might want to go with arcane command spell, which is not so hard to cast either if you got the shrieker up and getting more +1 rend commands, +3 move or reroll shield saves will be worth more than any of the other spells.

Leaders
Liege-Kavalos (200)

Battleline
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)

Behemoths

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)

Total: 1460 / 2000

8 hours ago, Arcian said:

What's the list you brought against your opponents, and if you're fielding harvesters are you using your guard to bubble wrap them?

I've run two lists at 1500. .

- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
Mortek Shield-corps (120)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Wounds: 79

Or. . 

- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
Mortisan Soulmason (140)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
10 x Mortek Guard (130)
Bone-tithe Shrieker (30)

Total: 1470 / 2000
Wounds: 84

On 1/9/2020 at 5:45 PM, Scurvydog said:

but I think running without petrifex especially with the restrictions in place at this point level, there is just no point in using other legions.

Sadly this sentence makes you kinda „that guy“. 

You write a whole paragraph about restricting yourself and whatnot just to come to the conclusion that you need petrifex to compensate for your „weaker choices“ (which really they are not, its OBR after all). 

Why not just pick a fluffy Petrifex list with min. 10 sized Morteks, Mortisans as only Heroes and the rest big guys like Harvesters and Stalkers. 

Its described in their background that they dont fight as disciplined as the other legions. 

Example: 

Boneshaper, General 130

- Godbone Armor

10 Mortek 130

10 Mortek 130

3 Stalkers 200

3 Immortis 200

Harvester (with Bludgeons) 200

= 990

Add Morghasts and you have 1200 on the nose with your fluffy „Colossi“ Legion and people cant blame you for taking them. 

If you go for 08/15 Liege, Guard, Cavalry list people will always say „Yeah he is just playing them for the CA and +1 Save“ (Which again is fine, but seems to make you feel uncomfortable)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Sadly this sentence makes you kinda „that guy“. 

You write a whole paragraph about restricting yourself and whatnot just to come to the conclusion that you need petrifex to compensate for your „weaker choices“ (which really they are not, its OBR after all). 

Why not just pick a fluffy Petrifex list with min. 10 sized Morteks, Mortisans as only Heroes and the rest big guys like Harvesters and Stalkers. 

Its described in their background that they dont fight as disciplined as the other legions. 

Example: 

Boneshaper, General 130

- Godbone Armor

10 Mortek 130

10 Mortek 130

3 Stalkers 200

3 Immortis 200

Harvester (with Bludgeons) 200

= 990

Add Morghasts and you have 1200 on the nose with your fluffy „Colossi“ Legion and people cant blame you for taking them. 

If you go for 08/15 Liege, Guard, Cavalry list people will always say „Yeah he is just playing them for the CA and +1 Save“ (Which again is fine, but seems to make you feel uncomfortable)

The problem I found with petrifex is not that is much stronger than the other legions (it is), but that the other legions feel... wrong, and it isn't by comparison, petrifex is that strong because the battle trait and command ability, and the reason the other legions feel wrong are the command traits and artifacts. All of our generic heroes are support, even the Liege-Kavalos is taken for the RD points and CA, so you don't want combat focused command traits or artifacts, and the only ones that aren't combat focused are the Petrifex and Mortis Praetorians command traits and the Petrifex Artifact (and the Stalliarch Lords if you don't take an artifact in a Liege-Kavalos).

And even if we ignore that except Petrifex and Crematorians the others have extra problems in how they feel:

Mortis Praetorians have the feel that you have to take named characters

Null Myriad have the feelthat you will completely shut yout opponent (against heavy magic list) or that you will be playing without legion

Stalliarch Lords feel cavalry oriented, but there is only one cavalry unit, and the batallion already gives that CA so the utility of Stalliarch is for... Nagash?

Ivory Host is just bad xD

So day 1 of a 40 man tournament is over and I'm about to go to day 2.

Game 1 - I played a friend running Skaven in Total Conquest. The mortal wound spam is real. I managed to barely squeak a win.

Game 2 - I played against Stormcast in Battle for the Pass. He just couldn't deal enough damage and my damage output was insanely high. Stalkers ate four units on thier own. 11-31 victory.

Game 3 - This was against Tzeetch in Ulgu, Better Part of Valor. This was probably the worst game I've ever played, highlighting just how unbalanced this game can be.

I zoned out the backfield, moved up the table. In the small corner gap between my zoning models and front line he used the teleporting realmscape rule. He spent a bunch of time killing his own dudes and summoned from the teleporting dudes.. then banked on the double.

He won priority. A little magic work and he took all three objectives from me and burned all of them. Game over having played one turn.

Not having the models to properly zone the backfield is a major weakness of the army. 

I had the 20 Morteks sitting 9.5 from the rear board in a single line. They should have been across the objectives.. but either way, I'd have summoning in my backfield. With Mirrors, he could have easily shredded them.. but I might have got another turn.

I'm pretty salty about it. I miss Skaven.

My next game is against another OBR player. He's running 10 Cav with lances, minimal Morteks. I'm interested to see how the game goes.

• Like 2

• Liege Kav 
    • Godbone Armour
    • Mighty Archaeossian
    • General
  • Soul Mason
    • Gothizzar Cartouche
    • Spell: Arcane Command
  • Bone Shaper
    • Artisans key
    • Spell: Drain Vitality 

• 1 Unit Stalker w/ Dread Falchions

• Mortek Shield Corp
  • Katakrosian Death Glaive
  • Nightmare Predator
  • Bone-tithe Shrieker
  • Petrifex Elite

I ran this list against a 2 Stonehorn, 1 Frostlord BCR list today. Took first turn and sent a unit of Stalkers and Harbringers into the center of his frontline to wreak havoc. I sent my second unit of Stalkers down a heavily terrained left flank. My opponent was forced to spend 3 turns dealing with the threat with his heavy hitters while I was able to rack up some objective points. I've had trouble against this BCR list before as it's a hard counter to Petrifex Elite. My opponent beat me with a minor victory (by 130 points), I was one wound away on his Butcher from getting the minor victory myself. This was only my second game using OBR, in hindsight I could have won a major with some better maneuvering with my backline Mortek Guard. 

Edited by KK9T

3 hours ago, KK9T said:
  • Liege Kav 
    • Godbone Armour
    • Mighty Archaeossian
    • General
  • Soul Mason
    • Gothizzar Cartouche
    • Spell: Arcane Command
  • Bone Shaper
    • Artisans key
    • Spell: Drain Vitality 

• Mortek Shield Corp
  • Katakrosian Death Glaive
  • Nightmare Predator
  • Bone-tithe Shrieker
  • Petrifex Elite

I ran this list against a 2 Stonehorn, 1 Frostlord BCR list today. Took first turn and sent a unit of Stalkers and Harbringers into the center of his frontline to wreak havoc. I sent my second unit of Stalkers down a heavily terrained left flank. My opponent was forced to spend 3 turns dealing with the threat with his heavy hitters while I was able to rack up some objective points. I've had trouble against this BCR list before as it's a hard counter to Petrifex Elite. My opponent beat me with a minor victory (by 130 points), I was one wound away on his Butcher from getting the minor victory myself. This was only my second game using OBR, in hindsight I could have won a major with some better maneuvering with my backline Mortek Guard. 

Pretty much the same list I was thinking and wrote at the top of this page to counter some heavy shooting or magic. What are your overall takeaways from this list? Is the double battalion too much? 

What do you feel about the deathglaive battalion? Did your opponent deploy a lot deeper knowing you would be taking first turn and going straight in? How did the deathglaive units fair after your opponents first round? Did they survive? 

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get an idea of how well a list like ours would hold up. 

So I went 3-0 today, making me 5-1. I finished 4/38. Which I'm pretty happy with, having played a total of 3 games with OBR beforehand.

I got a major vs Hammerhall in Knife to the Heart.

A major vs OBR in Focal Point.

And another major vs OBR in shifting objectives.

Stalkers are great, Drain Vitality is amazing and Morteks in forests are omfg good.