Monsters and Mercenaries!!!

Wraith01

41 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Damn it was hopping for the beastof nurgle to become a chaotic beast. Really just needed a good excuse to paint one up.

I figure things like beasts and fiends might appear if/when GW releases the demon armies into Warcry. Because what nurgle worshipping warband wouldn't want their own festering, slobbering happy little labradour of a beast! 

• Like 1

Cauldron of Blood comes in a similar price to two regular Heroes and gives you the Hag Queen and the Slaughter Queen. Additonally you will have an awesome model to field as an alternate Blood Sister Gorgai. Sell off the charriot and avatar, I think this way DoK players will have the most budget friendly heroes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ference89 said:

Cauldron of Blood comes in a similar price to two regular Heroes and gives you the Hag Queen and the Slaughter Queen. Additonally you will have an awesome model to field as an alternate Blood Sister Gorgai. Sell off the charriot and avatar, I think this way DoK players will have the most budget friendly heroes.

Yes but its not listed in the allies currently, could mean nothing or it could mean they don't get them.

GMG review is up covering the whole book. Seems like the balance concern with heroes was covered by just making them much weaker than expected. Still powerful, but definitely not a direct port from AoS. Pretty cool overall, I'll be picking it up if I can get some consistent narrative gaming in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enmitee said:

Are they going to be viable for matched play?

From what I can gather yes, with the proviso that some of the monsters will be very high in points and thus might well prove to be a huge gamble in smaller games and could even be a weakness in very small engagements for certain objectives. Meanwhile many of the mercenaries appear to be being fully re-statted for the game which is great and means that they can slot into the regular forces without much trouble.

It's surprising that they didn't just roll all this into the core book for launch, but whatever GW's choices on the matter its a worthwhile addition to the game and its going to be a lot of fun seeing things like terrorgiest and such. Heck its even going to be a fun twist of fate when you're the big monster in a game and get to play out as a might beast against a player eager to kill and win them for their campaign warband. 

The only downside, in my view, is that the new beasts are all limited to specific blocks. So my Untamed can't tame themselves a zombiedragon. So I now have to hope that when GW expands the races in the game they add in the Bonereapers! 

I always knew that slaughterpriest I got in a White dwarf so many years ago would come in handy! Time to add him somewhere into my untamed beasts and hope it's a good addition. 

And, this will give my iron golems even more flavor, allowing me to show that they are tzeench aligned and worthy of the blue steel painscheme! 

now I wonder what fluffy merc I can add to my future splintered Fangs...

Honestly the review makes it seem like a decent book. The mercenaries look like decent additions and it won’t be too hard to print out their stats and make custom cards as needed. Plus the fact that it’s cheaper than the main rulebook, I think I’ll buy it as it adds some interesting stuff to the game.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Moldek said:

Honestly the review makes it seem like a decent book. The mercenaries look like decent additions and it won’t be too hard to print out their stats and make custom cards as needed. Plus the fact that it’s cheaper than the main rulebook, I think I’ll buy it as it adds some interesting stuff to the game.

Totally agree. Delighted to see Beasts of Chaos and Everchosen warband rune marks. It's exactly what the game needs going forward. Also happy with the Allies list. I would love a Forgeworld monsters supplement where you could add in Skinwolves etc but so far so good imho.

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Totally agree. Delighted to see Beasts of Chaos and Everchosen warband rune marks. It's exactly what the game needs going forward. Also happy with the Allies list. I would love a Forgeworld monsters supplement where you could add in Skinwolves etc but so far so good imho.

Yeah I’m definitely doing a beastmen warband as soon as I can, heavy old-school realm of chaos influences 🤓

also I have a bunch of chaos hounds I was planning to use as furies since I don’t have the starter set, but now I think they are getting their own profile!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zedatkinszed said:

Oh heck yes, I was looking for an excuse to buy skin wolves! I think I would just use them as spawn anyways, just because they are such great models and would awesome in an untamed beast warband

• Like 1

So I watched the full GMG review of the new book, and I'm a bit confused. In the book Everchosen and Beasts of Chaos are shown as "FACTIONS", but at the moment they do not exist in terms of playable warbads.

So is GW going to print two more "non native" gangs for Warcry? Or are those gangs ment only for campaign purposes ad NPS warbands? 

1 hour ago, tupavko said:

So I watched the full GMG review of the new book, and I'm a bit confused. In the book Everchosen and Beasts of Chaos are shown as "FACTIONS", but at the moment they do not exist in terms of playable warbads.

So is GW going to print two more "non native" gangs for Warcry? Or are those gangs ment only for campaign purposes ad NPS warbands? 

I mean, I would happily play against those two warbands, even if they are challenges. The varanguard  centered warband seems like it would be an expensive army to field, but it could be fun to play with them.

I just wonder why the mist weaver and tanabral shard are not individual heroes you could use? are they still for sale?

Despite the Chaos focus, GW has always said that Waracry is to AoS what Killteam is to 40K. So yes I fully expect to see packs for ALL the main races in the game to appear for Warcry. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this slot was supposed to have Bonereapers released this month and then have a second cardpack wave appear including Bonereapers. However with the knockon effects of Sylvaneth it might be that Warcry still has its slot but Bonereapers got pushed a month on. So instead of a new wave of cards we get an expansion of the rules with the card wave appearing next. That would explain why mercenaries includes races that don't yet appear in the card packs like skaven .

17 hours ago, Overread said:

Despite the Chaos focus, GW has always said that Waracry is to AoS what Killteam is to 40K. So yes I fully expect to see packs for ALL the main races in the game to appear for Warcry. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this slot was supposed to have Bonereapers released this month and then have a second cardpack wave appear including Bonereapers. However with the knockon effects of Sylvaneth it might be that Warcry still has its slot but Bonereapers got pushed a month on. So instead of a new wave of cards we get an expansion of the rules with the card wave appearing next. That would explain why mercenaries includes races that don't yet appear in the card packs like skaven .

Actually I was at the Warhammer Fest this year when they spoke for the first time about Warcry (they announced it earlier that year but the very first chat about Warcry was at the fest), GW designers said, I'm quoting here:

- "Warcry is after all, all about Chaos"

- "Warcry is a game like no other, but it will be supported as Kill Team"

I even had a chance to speak with Batistotti, the designer who sculpted the new wonderful Furies and he also said that Warcry was entirely Chaos based as far as he knew (at that time no one knew the mechanics of the game).

Edited by tupavko