Monsters and Mercenaries!!!

Wraith01

I do sort of agree it seems a tad early to have extra warcry stuff, I mean people are still trying to figure out the game methinks!

Either that or GW got PTSD from the Necromunda drip feed strategy! Heck even Imperial Aeronautica immediately released a campaign book with extra rules.

(plus seems odd they JUST announced this book, yet the 2 upcoming "faction reshuffle" AoS Battletomes are still nowhere to be seen)

But it is good they are vested in warcry. I also wonder if the upcoming Warcry event at warhammer world will include warcry announcements.

• Like 1

As a local TO..ive been holding off on planning a tournament for the game,mainly due to the balance with some factions,SCE for example being much stronger than most all other warbands.Last thing I want is to have half my players show up with the same warband.

Really hoping introducing these new features into the game brings balance more inline,,actually thinking that this could be the reason they are rolling this out now instead of later.

• Like 1

New preview up. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/02/monsters-mercenaries-awesomeness-for-everyone/

Man they went crazy with the allies/mercenaries. FIFTY to choose from (examples include Skullgrinder, Grey Seer, Bray Shaman, every member of the Gobbapalooza)! But for non campaign games (so matched/open), you only get 1 to balance it out.

As for monsters it appears to primarily (if not only) campaign based, with warbands embarking on hunting quests kind of like Norsca in total war.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

New preview up. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/02/monsters-mercenaries-awesomeness-for-everyone/

Man they went crazy with the allies/mercenaries. FIFTY to choose from (examples include Skullgrinder, Grey Seer, Bray Shaman, every member of the Gobbapalooza)! But for non campaign games (so matched/open), you only get 1 to balance it out.

As for monsters it appears to primarily (if not only) campaign based, with warbands embarking on hunting quests kind of like Norsca in total war.

If thats the case the expansion is probably fine. Looking forward to see what else they reveal XD. I was almost done painting the current stuff. Really fast release. I hope this isnt going to happen every 2 months.

I'm curious to see if we'll be getting a card pack for the book or not. One thing I like about the game so far is rarely ever needing to look at the book, compared to constantly going back and forth with killteam. But unfortunately if we were getting one I think we'd know by now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I'm curious to see if we'll be getting a card pack for the book or not. One thing I like about the game so far is rarely ever needing to look at the book, compared to constantly going back and forth with killteam. But unfortunately if we were getting one I think we'd know by now.

i'm curious to see if it will be an online PDF or not either! wouldnt have to worry about production of cards then?

but I am curious to see how they pull this off. I hope it is not super overpowered in terms of gameplay to have a warqueen or such in your army.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

i'm curious to see if it will be an online PDF or not either! wouldnt have to worry about production of cards then?

but I am curious to see how they pull this off. I hope it is not super overpowered in terms of gameplay to have a warqueen or such in your army.

A pdf would probably work well enough, but then less people might buy the book so who knows if GW would actually go that route. Hopefully they do something at least.

Yeah tossing in 50 new models seems... Dangerous for balance. 50 new heroes doubly so. Plus with the way points are capped I think balancing powerful heroes will be really tricky. Take a the ironjawz megaboss for example. He'll probably have tons of health, tons of damage, but be really  slow. How do you point that? He can't possibly be cheap, definitely more that a flayer if we go by AoS, but too many points and your force will be too small trying to fit him in and you'll lose board presence, so he'll never get taken. 

Edited by Grimrock

35 minutes ago, JoyousOne842 said:

Any way of knowing if ogors will be playable? Forgive my ignorance, new to the game and forum.

At the moment they're not a playable faction, but we could definitely see some of them acting as mercenaries in the new book. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if the didn't include maneaters.

There's also a chance that GW might add other AoS factions down the road, but they haven't said anything about that yet.

On reddit I see a lot of people complaining about it being too soon, ruining the game etc. It’s a bit tiring sometimes seeing so much negativity; makes me understand why tga has pretty strict moderation...

I wonder how many people actually play that much. It’s the same about complaining about factions being OP based on calculating a best case scenario damage output. I doubt a lot of people are going to show up with a terrogheist and demand to play it against someone’s starter box warband!

The card problem is what I’m wondering about the most. A free pdf seems like the most convenient solution, even if it’s nice to actually have a pro quality printed card. I doubt they’ll do a reboxing of 60+ units, and I’m not sure I’d want to buy a 15$ pack with all the cards just to be able to use a single model (not saying I wouldn’t, but I sure as hell would moan about it on reddit!).

If I do get the book, this will probably be my excuse to buy a cygor kit down the road. Or minotaurs...

what models are you guys interested in?

37 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think the only "too soon" problem is that they've not released the second wave of armies for Warcry. Some forces (eg Skaven) still don't have a warband set of rules for the game. 

Well to me having rules for aos factions is a bonus. I would have been fine with only exclusive chaos factions. I think the audience is split between seeing it as a necromunda-like, heavy on narrative and campaign play, and as a killteam-like, with a focus on matched play and one off games.

I love being able to play my SCE but I do worry that having all those factions could lessen the atmosphere (and maybe balance) of the game.

• Like 3

I think anything which adds options for people to enjoy the game is good!  I think most of the concern stems from balance (of those items coming in the book and the perception that the non-Chaos warbands may not be as balanced), having to spend more money so soon, and disappointment for not getting the other 2 Chaos warbands or AoS warbands first.  All are valid feelings/concerns. 

Personally, I think we need the FAQ out shortly to help answer some outstanding questions and potentially balance the current set of warbands (as needed)!  Would it great to have the other warbands out first?  Sure, but Monsters and Mercenaries is something which can be added at any point, so they don't "have" to be out before this expansion.  It is also something in which people can add stuff from their own collection or encourage them to work towards something as they play games.

I am personally looking forward to the day when we have rule sets for all AoS warbands.  Not necessarily because I want them in the 8-points, but because then we can use this nice, tight, fast-paced rules set to play skirmish games anywhere in the Realms, with whichever armies we want to tell the story.  

• Like 3

I would like more information on some more mercenaries, just to see what else is available for us. As it stands now though, I could see adding a tzaangor to iron golems or some beast of chaos to an untamed beast warband fairly naturally, and i’m Very eager to see how it would turn out!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dew said:

GW let's you filter search for Warcry Allies and Monsters now on their site.

So here are the characters and monsters:

Pretty good! Hopefully that's also a preview of what other non chaos factions they're planning on adding.

Anyone else getting a frostgrave vibe from warcry given the contents of the new book? They're both narrative/campaign driven games with a big bestiary. From a marketing perspective they're a great way for GW to push slow selling kits like the chaos beasties and various heroes.

Really hoping the next books after this will be quest compilations, or additional loot tables. Possibly base rules! Anything to liven up the campaign a little bit more. (It's fine, but I'd love a lot more options now that I'm about to finish my first quest.)