Stormcast Extremist Viable in Matched Play

LordDrakonus

It depends on situation. In 1,000 pts army I only include 2 Concussors and a Lord-Celestant on Dracoth at a maximum. The rests are either Judicators or Liberators with some Paladins. Concussors work quite well againts enemy hordes or average heroes. But this way if you lose both Concussors and Celestant, you mostly certainly lose battle because half of the points is lost.

Other units in Extremis Chamber cannot see use much in 1,000 pts IMO. I think 2,000+ pts they can be useful as a fast hammer like other heavy cavalries.

NOTE I've not played anything other than an LCoD and an LCoSD myself! So the following is conjecture.

If you went pure Extremis you'd be hard pressed to fit in all the models in 2000.

LCoSD 600

Drakesworn Templar 500

Concussors 280

Desolators 240

Fulminators 240

Tempestors 240

Total 2100

Without battlelines or formations! And the formations for the dracothian guard are quite cool.

So drop the Drakesworn and focus on either lightning or thunderwave echelon. Tough choice. Two v good once per battle abilities. You could save 100 by taking the templar instead of LCoSD but in THIS force, the LCoSD's command ability is actually super sweet. For once:

LCoSD 600

Liberators 100

Liberators 100

Liberators 100

Concussors 280

Concussors 280

Desolators 240

Desolators 240

Thunderwave Echelon 140

Total 2080

I'd let you play that at 80 over. Even matched. Even tourney. I'd love to face it or wield it. It's going to be quite weak for a lot of scenarios tbh. But fun.

I think the lightning Echelon can exactly match 2000!

LCoSD 600

Liberators 100

Liberators 100

Liberators 100

Fulminators 240

Fuminators 240

Tempestors 240

Tempestors 240

Lightning Echelon 140

Total 2000

There you go! Legal Extremis 2000 point force.

That'd be great fun to play actually. You'd not win more than a more balanced SC force tbh. But what a sight. And the double penetrating charge - oof! Timed right it'd be awesome. I might get me 4 more boxes... except painting them is like 2 weeks of work each for me.

But sure great things aren't easy to attain!

I think when they come to do allegiances and so on for SC they'll not address Extremis as a custom faction (with battleline to the guard for example). So you won't be able to go pure extremis. 

I don't think these separate chambers are really designed that way. They're support to an overall SC force. We'll see that more with ruination, sacrosanct and auxillary I think.

I've been playing about with the following,

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth who is Reckless and armed with a Relic Blade.

Lrod-Relector or Lord-Castellant

4 units of 5 Judicators 

4 Dracothion Guard Concusers

4 Dracothion Guard Fulminations

This comes out to 1980/2000 depending on the hero choice, it is very good in most match ups but it falls down hard vs mortal wounds. The lists that can lay those out have taken it of very quickly.  

It's a powerful build but will need to ride it's luck in a Torniment environment with how the draw falls. 

Archived