How to avoid duplicated models in your army

Sonnenspeer

While building my second squad of Thralls I realized that only 5 of the 10 models have a alternative build. This would not be a problem for stoic Chaos warriors, but for the dynamic Thralls it is. Therefore, I tried to modify the other 5:

Spoiler

20190818_130457.jpg

Now I´m interested in how you handle this topic. What do you do with 18 eels in your list? Do they all look the same?

Edited by Sonnenspeer

Greenstuff and clippers, to be fair I mostly make monster units so its easier. Currently doing some Gavespawn Gors/Bestigors. The original unit I had which was made from the gor box was just too idebtical for what I’d see gavespawn Gors looking like. So I’m assembling and disassembling lots of beast sized foot troops. Again, much easier with Chaos but no reason why you couldn’t clip weapons, remodel poses, cut at the waist and reposition or attach to different legs or even just do a head swap. 

I generally do the same. I hate having repeated models and avoid them at all costs! If i can't do something like a head swap i try to vary the paint scheme so even if the parts are the same they have something to make them look unique.  Doing extensive work on 60 plus dryads is exhausting so i try to keep it simple.  Also adding something to the base can be another way to customise a model in a unit

But on larger models I will spend the time to come up with some different poses and invest in some greenstuff . For example my Kurnoth Hunters: 

(sorry i don't have a pic of the second unit painted).

IMG_20181210_223902.jpg

IMG_20190314_224326.jpg

• Like 3