Vallejo Still Water | Mixing

Hey y'all, 

I'm currently working on my Vampires'bases - a bunch of them is manifesting out of pools of blood on the ground. I mixed my Vallejo Still Water with Blood for the Bloodgod and a tad of Abbadon Black. After applying the first layer, the black from the ground was nicely shimmering through, so I thought I'd go a tad brighter to suggest depth - now my pool is looking solid through and through, although I didn't take more colour than I used in the first layer. Should I have gone with a transparent layer instead of a second one with coloring? 

The one with the leaves is the final result. Any suggestions on how to save this and don't have it happen a second time? 

GqS7tDR_d.jpg

VPlemK3_d.jpg

YvB6xjs_d.jpg

Edited by AHexInScarletRed
  • Like 1

Blood for the blood god isn't actually very transparent, so you're going to lose the illusion of depth you're trying to achieve if you apply multiple layers of it.  The way I would have likely done it would have been to have painted blood for the blood god at the bottom of the pool, layered up with the still water (not mixed with anything) and then added a very thinned glaze of blood for the blood god to the top, that way your depth illusion is created using the clear resin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 9:38 AM, RuneBrush said:

Look forward to seeing how you get on!

Following your advice, I finished them this weekend and after doing the horses, I also finished my dragon - there's still a bit of work to do, but the bases are done. 

I've added a thinned mix of Army Painter's Crusted Sore and Abaddon Black on top of the Still Water, then added a layer of Still Water with one drop of Crusted Sore and finished them with one layer of Still Water without any colour (but with some leaves). 

Thank you for the help :)

aOxImHUr.jpg

oNBtxrhr.jpg

M24s7sdr.jpg

ToE2xIlr.jpg

0GPfo1Vr.jpg

XNjiKUIr.jpg

JqritxSr.jpg

PXYBYkIr.jpg

Edited by AHexInScarletRed
  • Like 1