Battleline for a Mixed Destruction force

Lucio

I'm looking to build up my Ironjawz army on an expanded theme, rather than a pure Ironjawz force, as a more martial orientated force. This unfortunately means that I can't rely on having a single keyword other than Destruction, but does allow me to include choices such as the Idol of Gork, Gitmob Grot Artillery, and maybe even a motely collection of Squigs.

My difficuly comes however, with envisaging what my Battleline troop choices should look like, on the occassions where my opponent insists on full Matched-Play rules, rather than a simple points based choice.

My main options that I can see, to fit into the theme is

1) Greenskinz - Foot soldiers in training, effectively Yoof 'Ardboyz who have yet to earn their right to full armour and equipment, fighting as loose skirmishers, possibly even with bows to give my force a stronger ranged component.

2) Ogors - Actually, these would be painted green, and given large, Ork heads to represent especially strong, tough Ironjawz, effectively enhanced "super-soldier" experiemental types, Bigger and nastier than a typical Ironjaw, these would surge forward to soak up the enemy

3) Moonclan or Gitmob Grots - These would be slaves, pure and simple, forced into service to fight off enemy forces. Again, probably archers to provide a ranged component and help block enemy troops from reaching the backfield artillery.

Open to any other thoughts or suggestions though!

Moonclan grots with fanatics if you are looking for more strategy option in the battlefield. 

Ogors s warscroll are like ironjaws ws. nothing new in your army.

Greenskin may be an interesting option, they have the orruk keyword Like iriironjaws and you Can build many more sinergy with boss buffing orruk keyword.

Haha!! Ogors with Orruk heads seems to be a very popular modelling choice at the moment!! It does look cool and works well tbh.

We don't have many options available to us for generic Battleline units and actually I have had a post in mind for a while now where I run through each and discuss my thoughts on them, inc pros and cons etc (Inspired by @Terry Pike's awesome Chaos shooting thread), so keep an eye out for that early next week.

In short though, I think a lot depends on whether you are looking to make them an integral part of the army, complete with synergy and purpose or if they are pure "core tax".

Ogors, Savage Orruks and Moonclan Grots all have a place though for sure.

@Lucio - It sounds like you are keen to have them fit, at least aesthetically anyway. Of your ideas I probably like the Ogor one best, though Yoof Ardboyz is also a cool idea.

Sorry, bit of a nothing post there.

28 minutes ago, Sadysaneto said:

For bl, id go arrer boyz (now orruks with archs), over grots,

I do actually like this an idea for adding some ranged threat whilst still fulfilling Battleline requirements. However, this decision would be made solely for me on aesthetics. The Orc Arrer Boyz are pretty poor sculpts.

To fit in with my Ironjawz theme it would be great to have Grots with crossbows or something...now there's an idea actually. Hmmmm. I have a bunch of the 40k ones which are such great sculpts. They all look like right little *&^*$ with their bandanas and snapbacks, love 'em!

Might have to look into that actually.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I do actually like this an idea for adding some ranged threat whilst still fulfilling Battleline requirements. However, this decision would be made solely for me on aesthetics. The Orc Arrer Boyz are pretty poor sculpts.

To fit in with my Ironjawz theme it would be great to have Grots with crossbows or something...now there's an idea actually. Hmmmm. I have a bunch of the 40k ones which are such great sculpts. They all look like right little *&^*$ with their bandanas and snapbacks, love 'em!

Might have to look into that actually.

yeah, they are, but it seems the new orruks box, comes with option for bows. I dont think they are the same sculpt. But i cant say for sure.

or you can go to savage orruks archers - you trade hit for more attacks (up to 3) and still have a destruction bl :)

2 hours ago, Sadysaneto said:

yeah, they are, but it seems the new orruks box, comes with option for bows. I dont think they are the same sculpt. But i cant say for sure.

or you can go to savage orruks archers - you trade hit for more attacks (up to 3) and still have a destruction bl :)

I was not aware there was an option in the repacked Orruks for bows. Do you mean in the SC: Greenskinz box? Interesting if so.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) Savage Orruk Archers are not battleline, unlike the regular Orruks they actually have a separate scroll.

5 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I was not aware there was an option in the repacked Orruks for bows. Do you mean in the SC: Greenskinz box? Interesting if so.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) Savage Orruk Archers are not battleline, unlike the regular Orruks they actually have a separate scroll.

Damn, i thought savages were like regular orruks.

So, AFAIK, i was going to order some hedious arrer boys on ebay, and, I dont know why, prolly cos i hate those damn things, I went to look the orruks scrolls and try and convince me to drop ranged for cannon fodder.

Ta-da - they have an option for bows, with the same rules and stat as arrers, and min unit size of 10.

I havent got them yet cos im a cheapass, and ther were some good deals for arrers.

But then again, i hate those damn things

I'm definitely leaning towards Orruks with Bows, and adding a Waaaggh Boss in alongside them.

Had an interesting conversion idea too, take some of Kromlech's armoured greatcoat bodies, and mix in either punk, or 'Ardboy style heads plus bare arms, distress the edges of the coats for a more apoclyptic look and the end result should be something like they're wearing part leather, part iron plate for their armour rather than the full 'Ardboy or Brute plate, justifying their lower save

For me it totally depends on what you need points for, i.e. if you're wanting to spend more than the minimum points on battleline or not.

Moonclan Grots provide you with 20 models at a very low investment, which makes them solid for grabbing objectives. Similarly, 10 Savage Orruks bring 20 wounds for a mere 100 points, so I think those are both amazing options if you're looking for effective choices on minimal investment. If you want to beef up the units at all, then a unit of 6 Ogors is going to get work done. I generally tend to ignore regular Greenskinz, I prefer either Savage Orruks or Grots if I want the range.

Mhhh...when you mix orruks and grot there id a great problem...the bravery.

If you bring grots yiu must have the General behind with the commander ability "no shock" on the grots.

Without tge ability they ll disappear very fast. 

But if youplay orruks their warboss have a great command ability , so the General must follow the unit in combat and buff theur attaccks. 

Better use grots only in a grots army.

From my experience I can reccomend at least one big unit (40 models) of moonclan grots with 2 fanatics. It has incredible strategic uses:

1. You can extend them in a line protecting access to more important models

2. Fanatics block enemy charges!

3. They are suprisingly hard to kill- you can take both types of banners (+1 save against shooting attacks, +2 bravery if no enemy within 3"), some nets (-1 to hit for enemy in CC) and preferably Inspiring Presence. Such unit can hold big portion of enemy army for few turns.

4. They are good objective holders due to their numbers (i.e. the mission form general's handbook with 4 objectives that you control if you have more models within 6" than your enemy).

5. If there are over 30 they can do some real damage. Despite bad aim, they would wound on 2+!

P.s. You should be taking at least 2 fanatics becouse if you roll a double on charge, one will die. And you do want them to reach the enemy. And if there are 2 of them they can lash out a lot of damage, so it forces your enemy to pick this battle first preventing early deaths in more important units.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:27 PM, Lucio said:

I'm definitely leaning towards Orruks with Bows, and adding a Waaaggh Boss in alongside them.

Had an interesting conversion idea too, take some of Kromlech's armoured greatcoat bodies, and mix in either punk, or 'Ardboy style heads plus bare arms, distress the edges of the coats for a more apoclyptic look and the end result should be something like they're wearing part leather, part iron plate for their armour rather than the full 'Ardboy or Brute plate, justifying their lower save

This is interesting...I'll have to take a look at the Kromlech parts. A kinda industrial, post apoc look is what I'm aiming for and was looking for stuff to tie my generic Battline in with the Ironjawz when I branch out into Destruction.

It's difficult to look past Savage Orruks as investment in regards to minimal points for maximum benefit (wounds & models for scoring).

However a lot comes down to how you are planning your lists, are you treating Battleline as a Tax or are you building your army around them? There are options for both. Personally I was surprised when 'normal' Orruks didn't have 2 wounds each!

42 minutes ago, Cowboy Boots Matt said:

It's difficult to look past Savage Orruks as investment in regards to minimal points for maximum benefit (wounds & models for scoring).

However a lot comes down to how you are planning your lists, are you treating Battleline as a Tax or are you building your army around them? There are options for both. Personally I was surprised when 'normal' Orruks didn't have 2 wounds each!

I think its safe to assume they would if/when "Greenskinz" get an update, but yeh for now I don't see why you'd take them (unless for bows as at least they have some utility).

Moonclan Grots are a completely valid choice tbh as you have 20 wounds there as well and also the fantastic nets. The downside being they are more susceptible to battleshock (6 wounds to Savages, only -3 to battleshock, but -6 to Grots etc) and therefore probably drop a bit easier.

On 13/08/2016 at 0:45 AM, Orruk'sPizza said:

Mhhh...when you mix orruks and grot there id a great problem...the bravery.

If you bring grots yiu must have the General behind with the commander ability "no shock" on the grots.

Without tge ability they ll disappear very fast. 

But if youplay orruks their warboss have a great command ability , so the General must follow the unit in combat and buff theur attaccks. 

Better use grots only in a grots army.

Yeah, i dont think they mix well.

And I play moongrots.

It maybe just a misconception, but I cant see moongrots w/o skarnik or warboss.

What are people's thoughts on gitmob grits with bows as battleline? 

100pts gets you 20 guys with a decent shooting attack that can sit on an objective? For my ogors I think they could free points for more killy stuff and provide a little ranged support.

At 40 guys it becomes interesting with a +2 to hit making them much better.

3 hours ago, AmonRa said:

What are people's thoughts on gitmob grits with bows as battleline? 

100pts gets you 20 guys with a decent shooting attack that can sit on an objective? For my ogors I think they could free points for more killy stuff and provide a little ranged support.

At 40 guys it becomes interesting with a +2 to hit making them much better.

I'm not adverse to the idea of bog standard Grots, though I think Moonclan Grots work better due to their standards and syngery bonuses, and that the Ogor Grots have better models

7 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

This is interesting...I'll have to take a look at the Kromlech parts. A kinda industrial, post apoc look is what I'm aiming for and was looking for stuff to tie my generic Battline in with the Ironjawz when I branch out into Destruction.

Kromlech are always worth looking at for anything that isn't pure fantasy, most of my "Bonesplittas" army is actually a mix of GW and Kromlech cybernetic parts as the concept behind them is a crazed Orruk "Necromancer", rebuilding dead or near dead Orruks back as cybernetic copies. I always used the Savage Ork rules to represent their "warpaint" as the effects of the cybernetics, and now they're two wound models, it works even better.

Admitedly, not very Monster huntery, but can't have everything when you're doing far out conversions.

Archived