A place for trading kits/bits?

xWEEZYx

I live in Southern California where there aren’t a lot of Warhammer hobbyists but I love the game. Recently my mother-in-law purchased me the Sylvaneth start collecting box and another box of Tree Revenants as a birthday present. I’m not into them and would rather play a different faction/army. My question is: Is there a reputable website or community that trades kits/bits? I’d be willing to trade for Clans Pestilens stuff. Thanks 

2CEB1F70-4896-4E44-B5F1-25D8B47D9E38.jpeg

Hi @xWEEZYx and welcome to TGA!

As Overread quite rightly points out, we do have a trading post area that you can use once you've made 5 posts on the forum.  My suggestion would be to get involved in a few posts and then we can move this into the right thread 🙂  We have an "introduce yourself" area too, so you may be able to find some people local to you as well!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If you have not opened them at all, you could take them to a GW store and do an exchange! There are also various Facebook groups for swapping. 

Oh wow!  I didn’t know GW would do swaps. That’s nice to know. I’ll have to ask the next time 

I've never asked a GW store for an exchange*, I'd figure if they "can" do it then they will only do it for totally new, even any plastic outer coating would have to be fitted for them to take it. It can't hurt to ask though! If not then a 3rd party store might, however in general I don't expect it to work. From the GW stores point of view it might be hard on their data/sales entry system to take stock that they've no sold "back" even if they are only giving out existing stock (no monetary refund**)

*for products not bought from that store. 

**this would be impossible because you could easily buy cheaper stock on 3rd party sites then ask GW stores for refunds and pocket the difference. 

7 hours ago, Overread said:

I've never asked a GW store for an exchange*, I'd figure if they "can" do it then they will only do it for totally new, even any plastic outer coating would have to be fitted for them to take it. It can't hurt to ask though! If not then a 3rd party store might, however in general I don't expect it to work. From the GW stores point of view it might be hard on their data/sales entry system to take stock that they've no sold "back" even if they are only giving out existing stock (no monetary refund**)

*for products not bought from that store. 

**this would be impossible because you could easily buy cheaper stock on 3rd party sites then ask GW stores for refunds and pocket the difference. 

Most GW stores will exchange like for like - so one £50 Start Collecting box for another £50 Start Collecting box, regardless of where you got the product from (I imagine they've a clever way of adjusting their stock).  I've done this a number of times if I've picked up a pot of paint that's gone off.  The product must be "mint" however - including the shrink wrapping.  Some stores who know their regulars will sometimes facilitate a "swap" system too.

They'll also accept purchases of a product that has "just" become superseded - so if you bought the Ironjawz battletome this weekend and next weekend the new one went on sale, providing the one you had in your hand was either shrink wrapped or you had an invoice with a date on, they'll accept that.

I was once told by my local GW that their fairly friendly exchange policy caused them some problems. The Waterstones round the corner from their shop decided to put black library books into their 3 for 2 offer, and suddenly the GW store had loads of people coming in to try to swap BL books from Waterstone's fairly limited selection for ones from the GW store. They were getting a duplicate book free, and then trading it for one they actually wanted at the other shop. I think they had to demand proof of purchases in the end, so as to make sure that they weren't effectively giving away free books due to another shop's offer!

• Like 1

That's a good point and I know when I've done replacement parts with GW they've also wanted to see proof of purchase. I suspect because they've had a lot of people get kits off ebay and then asked for a replacement part. Ergo a duff part ends up costing them way more because whoever put it on ebay likely already got a replacement from GW to start with. 

GW has always been very good at dealing with problems in kits, its a shame that some people will try and game the system so a few protections on GW's end make a lot of sense so that they avoid being cheated. 

• Like 1