[HOMEBREW] Greenskinz Released! Dispossessed Updated!

soak314

mainpost.png.e2e751ddea2b043504555036957af1a7.png

Attached are my custom Warcry rules for Dispossessed and Greenskinz!

Both factions are designed to work off their basic faction boxes, incorporating as many of those units as possible into the rules,  hopefully letting you get a warband made with one minimum sized battleline box!

If anyone would like to volunteer photographs of both the basic* and boss** variant of the Gitmob bow grots, I'd be happy to use them in the pdf (with credit!)
*bow grot currently has no photograph on their card

**boss bow grot not yet included in rules

While I'm comfortable writing rules to represent their fighting tactics, I'm not quite as quick to come up with something fluffier! So if someone would like to help write up short campaign quests for the dwarfs and greenskinz in the default warcry format, it'd be much appreciated feel free to also make your own artefacts, command traits, and rewards!

Warcry - Greenskinz 1.00.pdf Warcry - Dispossessed 1.02.pdf Design Doc.docx

Edited by soak314
Updates!
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 8

Wow i was just starting to work on this for my myself. Ty.

Overall amzing work. Almost exactly what i wanted to write myself. Sooooo happy you included slayers and miners. Cannon was a bold choice. Also enjoyed your notes.

Few ideas.

I would trade Gromril Forged armor for a Quareller/thunderer leader with an abilty to buff range. As you said punchy range makes up for low movement. 3move is very low. Lower than the chaos dwarf from Iron Golems. This will also create very different builds when choosing a range or melee leader.

Rune of accuracy might be more thematic if you reword it to deal more dmg to higher toughness enemies. In lore slayers and cannons target tough enemies. Grudgehammer Torpedo should have this as well

Love the miner ability.

Love the resolute in defense ability. Requiring first action as wait is good wording.

Id like to see the leadership abilty be a big aoe toughness buff. Being super tanky is my fav aspect of dwarfs. 

Edited by Oath Stoned
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Oath Stoned said:

Overall amzing work. Almost exactly what i wanted to write myself. Sooooo happy you included slayers and miners. Cannon was a bold choice. Also enjoyed your notes.

Cheers! I had to include miners and slayers because I wanted to include all of the old dwarf infantry options. Part of the goal of homebrewing dwarfs in particular is to let people with old collections still field em in the cool new system. If GW ever makes dispossessed rules for warcry, I'm sure it'll be around the Ironbreakers/drakes. This way I'll still have a ruleset for the classic stunties even if I have to pull out the fancier duardin.

I would trade Gromril Forged armor for a Quareller/thunderer leader with an abilty to buff range. As you said punchy range makes up for low movement. 3move is very low. Lower than the chaos dwarf from Iron Golems. This will also create very different builds when choosing a range or melee leader.

Tying into what i just said about future proofing, it might be a good idea to not tie one whole ability to being one of the newer models. However, I've actively avoided buffs that work in a bubble that increase range/enhance shooting. This is because people have tended to be very leery of shooting in this game (i.e. people dogpiling on stormcast for being broken because of shooting + toughness). Something that increases range also ups the potential for shooting alpha strikes to be a thing, and that's the last thing I want my rules to do is feel like it's brought that back in from AoS/40k/KT.

You'll mention the leader quad later, and that's my stealth group shooting buff. Along with rune of accuracy, they're the only true offensive abilities I've given em. You'll find that if they work in tandem it can deal a pretty ridiculous amount of damage, especially when you also gang up on the grudged unit.

I'm definitely going to look at Gromril forged armour, though. I think I can work it into something more group defensive (Shield Wall?), that doesn't exclusively belong to the newer models. That'd mean them dropping the bulwark keyword, or potentially giving it to the basic warrior.

And I've definitely considered the Quarreler leader. I think I'll give him the same range band as the rank and file, a longer range, maybe slightly cheaper option to the thunderer veteran. Tradeoff for the range would be the inability to shoot into melee, and str 3.

Rune of accuracy might be more thematic if you reword it to deal more dmg to higher toughness enemies. In lore slayers and cannons target tough enemies. Grudgehammer Torpedo should have this as well

Yeah I was thinking of giving both shooty leaders the Destroyer keyword so they get access to the big triple. I'm not sure what to call the ability itself, but I was definitely considering renaming it. Giant Slayer was what I was first thinking, but that's already a model name!

Id like to see the leadership abilty be a big aoe toughness buff. Being super tanky is my fav aspect of dwarfs. 

Going back to this, I'm thinking of replacing the Gromril double with a triple that works off either leaders or champions. 6" radius, +1 toughness, -1 damage to all hits. Further incentive to take longbeards! And going off my bonesplitterz, I'd say just the +1 tough by itself can be an immense PITA paired with a cheap 4t chaff unit.

• Like 1

Hey if no one else has proffered to help with the fluff I’m in the midst of a work lull so have some spare time, happy to have a crack over the next week and a bit. Just picked up the WC set so only just reading it but should be able to create something ok in a similar theme to the official ones.

Edited by JPjr
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, JPjr said:

Hey if no one else has proffered to help with the fluff I’m in the midst of a work lull so have some spare time, happy to have a crack over the next week and a bit. Just picked up the WC set so only just reading it but should be able to create something ok in a similar theme to the official ones.

That'd be awesome! Campaigns are a great driver for play and narrative motivation, and the warcry ones can get pretty involving despite their simplicity.

7 hours ago, Pagan said:

Thanks for doing this, I am now super excited to paint up some 6th edition warriors and quarrellers for another warband! I will add some of the newer miners also

Lovely to hear!

6 hours ago, tom_gore said:

I would say they are way overcosted for the most part. Should tune up the stats or lower the costs for most units to have some kind of chance against the official warbands.

Noted, but for now I'd like to run some personal tests on em (or wait for people to weigh in after some games on their end) before making any big point or statline changes.

A little peek at what I'm working on next:

Spoiler

322373507_PAGEGREENcover.png.e7e73b4aec76bb771a1996e3caf34e33.png

• Like 1

Main post updated with a quick fix to the Dispossessed PDF.

Spoiler

A bunch of the cards had the wrong wound values on em, and are now fixed.
Gromril Armour has been changed to Shield Wall, an area of buff that increases toughness and decreases damage taken.
Bulwark runemark has been dropped from the faction, as the new ability works off the Champion runemark exclusively.

Testing battle reports coming soon!

Edited by soak314

Testing Battle Reports!

GAME 1: vs Bonesplitterz (me as orruks)

Spoiler

Deployment: Refused Flank
Victory Condition: The Raid
Twist: None :(

Dispossesed @ 1000
Dagger (Thunderer, Warrior x3)
Shield (Vetran, Cannon, Thunderer x2)
Hammer (Miner)

Bonesplitterz @ 945
Dagger: (Shieldboy x2, Big Stabba)
Shield: (Arrowboss, Big stabba, Totem boy)
Hammer: (Shieldboy x2)

The duardin got to pick defender for this one, and it's clearly where they shine. Every thunderer got to double shoot from turn one. The orruks had to sink triples into Waaagh! every turn to help clear the gap and get to points, but they also had the deployment advantage, forcing the dwarfs into blue deployment.

The cannon, the veteran, and a warrior all helped in dropping my now routine turn 1 big stabba alpha strike. The dwarfs holds the line throughout the game, doing some micro repositioning with their 3 inch movements to keep on points.

The warriors are quite tanky against the s3 shieldboys,forcing 5's to wound, only ever getting instagibbed on three sixes.

The juju stick is a massive pivot in my bonesplitterz list, and the dwarfs know it. As soon as he tries to pop out of hard cover to get a buff down, he's focused down by every thunderer on the board. His 3 inch melee range didn't mean much of anything in this matchup.

The orruks raze a point turns one and two, but can't keep their numbers up to get the last one turn 3. Once the first big stabba was dropped, and the second one screened, the cannon was free to make two more shots, vaporizing a shieldboy each. Even in my custom board which has tons of cover, Rune of Accuracy makes it so the cannon only needed to roll two 3's on 4 dice to wipe a boy out.

The dwarfs take this game, with the orruks just short of one body on the third point to claim victory. The arrowboss could have easily stolen it, but he was body blocked by the miner who made a photo finish 6 inch engagement to deny the orruk boss his full move.

DWARF LOSSES: 2x Thunderers, Thunderer Vet, 1x Warrior
ORRUK LOSSES: 2x Shieldboyz, 1x Big stabba, 1x Totem Boy

NOTES:

Spoiler

> Cannon feels awesome. Needs triples to work to best potential, but can easily dictate a game's flow if taken. Counterplay is crystal clear and taking it is a massive risk since the game has so many anti-shooting twists.
> Classic Dwarfs feel pretty awesome to use. New Shield wall ability lets warriors go up to t5, which makes them very hardy as far as 8 wound chaff models go. Thundererers provide constant punchy, threat but with very little room for placement error on the dwarf players part (slow models).    

Game 2:vs Flesh Eater Courts (me as dwarf)

Spoiler

Deployment: ... i forgot to note, it's 'dueling' something or other
Victory: Domination (kill each other's shields)
Twist: Apex Predator (1x Fury)

Dispossessed:@1000
Dagger: (Longbeard, Irondrake)
Shield: (Ironbreaker x2, Ironwarden)
Hammer: (Longbeard, Irondrake)

FeC @ 990
Dagger: (Flayer, Ghoul)
Shield (Flayer, Infernal, Ghoul)
Hammer: (Ghoul 3x)

Dwarfs get priority, which let them pick the deployment that didn't have em sat in the middle. Straight out the gate the warden drops a grudgin' on the infernal, and sinks a few wounds into him. The flyers move up, encircle the duardin shield, and force em to engage or lose to the 4th turn danger zone conditon.

Fury ties up a flayer, which saves an ironbreaker from getting smacked early on.

Turn 2 sees both sides lose one of their shield models each, a ghoul for FeC and an ironbreaker for the dwarfs. The leader gets another quad off, grudging the second flayer but getting lopped down to 4 wounds. Both relevant flayers also get blasted by the ironbreakers in melee, and the irondrakes from the far edges of the board.

Fury goes into an irondrake, and deals a little damage.

Turn 3 starts, the FeC player gets initiative, and tears apart the warden(2 of 3 down.) This gives the last irondrake an opportunity to double attack him, which takes him down to 15 wounds. Both drakes open fire on him but it's not quite enough. The cover saves his butt and he's left standing with 5 wounds left.

As the drakes were shooting two ghouls got to the last Ironbreaker and whittle off some wounds. Once the drakes go, the fury flies up, and deals the last wound to take out the breaker for the win.

If the dwarfs had gone first and gotten a shield wall down, that last turn might have gone differently!  

Duardin Losses: 2x Irondrake, 1x Ironwarden
FeC Losses: 1x Flayer, 1x Ghoul

NOTES:

Spoiler

>Changing gromril armor to a tanking aura buff was a damn good call, cheers @Oath Stoned, I honestly don't know why I didn't have it in for the first set.

>The Irondrakes are excellent, best deployed split so a single gunline is never compromised by a fast moving enemy. The moment they're closed on they lose so much of their efficiency.

>Ironbreakers are alright, I think they hit too hard and die too fast so expect em to get changed after a few more tests (T+1 Attacks-1 likely)

>6 inch minimum range on the warden is massive, but I won't touch it for the moment. I want him to function like a backline artillery piece, a cannon on legs that can grudge things.

>Longbeards are funny, I don't know why I gave them the spread and pointage they now have. Will soon rework as they're way too cheap for the potential damage output and utility. Same thing with hammerers, these two cards are a mess lol.

>Considering a cheap 45pt banner unit with the Champion runemark, will probably be the musicians/standard bearers off the warriors kit.

That's all for right now,  I've got a couple more games lined up soonish, one with all all classic slayers list vs squigs, one with thunderers spam vs all brute Ironjawz!

Edited by soak314
  • Like 1

@soak314

Cool stuff.

Glad to hear about the cannon pushing the action. Creating No-zones is prolly the best compensation for low mobility. I was worried about 3 movement on the army, but Ill make that trade.

I havent tried any ganes yet but I do intend on using your rules only for science.

One more note. Maybe cut most of the leaders. Its to many leaders to balance. I think we only need 2. Longbeard and a range leader.

10 hours ago, Oath Stoned said:

@soak314

Cool stuff.

Glad to hear about the cannon pushing the action. Creating No-zones is prolly the best compensation for low mobility. I was worried about 3 movement on the army, but Ill make that trade.

I havent tried any ganes yet but I do intend on using your rules only for science.

One more note. Maybe cut most of the leaders. Its to many leaders to balance. I think we only need 2. Longbeard and a range leader.

Yeah the movement isn't so big an issue when you realize you can shoot at the entire board, even with a mixed loadout. It also pushes people to drop points into miners, and not just take more guns.

If you do use em I recommend going for the classic dwarfs (warriors, thunderers, slayers, miners + their leaders) as I feel they're in a fantastic place atm.  The irondwarfs, not so much. I'll likely be focus testing the modern models for a longer period of time.

Leaders, especially duardin melee ones, actually aren't all that big an issue to play around with. You'll find that for most factions the footslogger leaders have the exact same spreads, essentially behaving as the same frontline buff vectors with varying toughnesses and max wounds. The biggest one to pay attention to for me was the Ironwarden, and potentially the smashboss Slayer leader. Both feel like they're pretty alright at the moment, though I need to play em both maybe half a dozen more times each to get a really good say on it.

Additional prospects are a Quarreler leader (just a tweaked thunderer leader with a different range band and damage swing) and maaaaaaaybe a Prospector once I square everything else off.

Final note, I'm trying to get as many options in as I can because the primary goal of the homebrew is to let people play with as wide a range of their toy soldiers as they can. Balance is something I pay attention to, but it's always with deference to options.

• Like 1

I been doing unit testing on the coffee table.  Just small groups such as infantry vs infantry or shotters vs shooters. No abilities. I tried a lot of fights at relative pts cost. I own NH and Gitz so thats what im testing against.

Overall great job. The shooters and elite infantry seem where they should be. Which means they won in flat open battle. They should win this kind of fight vs NH and GG which are squishy and pay points to have abilities such as horde attacks and flying. 

Warriors are to weak. Need +2 HP

Longbeards and hammerers are very strong without an ability. I think they both need to drop to maybe 12 hp.

Ironbreakers are right where they should be. Maybe small point increase.

I still want +1 toughness on all infantry. Nh-gg have low attack, so most attacks were on a 5+ already, but thats how it should be against everyone.

Here is a huge list of Dwarfs runes. These can be used as Runemarks to streamline the cards a little more.

http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/45114-khazalid-runes/

Ill keep editing this reply as I start proxy testing against other factions.

Edited by Oath Stoned
  • Like 1

@Oath Stoned Thanks for the feedback!

A lot of my statline decisions have been predicated on Grudgebearer, and now Shield Wall. Especially on the warriors. I've made it so you can get em to 5T reliably through doubles. 4T's a great baseline, but 5T is where you get rank and file hurting you on 5's only. I didn't want to push this further than that however as it'd invalidate a lot of the other faction's 5Str options vs our chaff. Don't forget Resolute in Defense used in conjunction with Shield Wall also lets them add a total of +2 to their tough, meaning any one warrior can get to 6T, and -1 to all damage for two doubles provided they got a champ/leader nearby.

Bumping warriors and miners up to 10 wounds however is something I've been considering, and will now likely put in with 1.02.

Hammerers and Longbeards are wonky atm, and will get a good looking at. The longbeard is meant to be a support model that can attack from the rear, ala the bonesplitter totem boy. The hammerer is meant to share a similar spread tweaked for 1 inch punchy burst, sort of the irondwarf equivalent of the classic slayer.

Ironbreakers are getting -1att +1tough, because I actually would like ironbreakers in particular to easily invalidate everyone else's 5str.

More Battle Reports!

GAME 1 vs IRONJAWZ (me as dwarf)

Spoiler

Dispossessed:
Dagger: Thunderer x3
Shield: Thunderer x4, Thunderer Veteran
Hammer: Thunderer x3

Ironjawz
Dagger: Brute w/ Double Choppas x2
Shield: Brute w/Double Choppas, Brute Boss (no claw ver)
Hammer: Brute w/ Double Choppas

Totally forgot the deployments on these next few reports! But the victory condition for this one was realmstone hunt. Shield comes out turn 2 for this game.

Turn 1, the dwarfs squat on high ground and secure two realmstone. The orruks have to spend two doubles to get their two realmstone secured. Four thunderers pop into one brute, and manage to do 1 wound total.

Turn 2, one brute, despite carting around some realmstone, charges headlong for the dwarfs on high ground. Everything able focuses him down, and gets him to 12 wounds taken. The opposing shields come out, and the five thunderers + leader focus down the other realmstone laden brute, who hunkers down in cover. The boss brute + choppa brute eviscerate two thunderers on the opposite side of the map.

Turn 3, Up on the rooftops, the charging brute closes in on the dwarfs, halving their attacks, chopping one down, and forcing one with realmstone to relocate. His buddy backs him up and takes down another tunderer

Down on the ground, the boss calls a waagh and gives his brute buddy +4 to move. This lets Charge on his turn and easily catch up to the second dwarf with realmstone, who's soon turned into paste.

On the other side, the leader calls for a grudgin' and lops off 11 wound on their target brute just on his shots. But after he does that, the brute moves into LoS blocking cover and forces the 4 other thunderers to move before shooting. The round ends with the brute on 3 wounds left, a win to the Ironjawz!

Dispossessed Losses: 5x Thunderers
Ironjawz Losses: None    

NOTES: Gimmicky list with the ten thunderers was pretty easily countered by a high T warband, though I imagine squishier factions (the chaos ones in particular) won't have a good time with it.

GAME 2 vs GLOOMSPITE GITZ (Me as Gitz)

Spoiler

Dispossessed:
Dagger: Slayer x3
Shield: Slayer x3, Gargant Slayer
Hammer: Slayer x3

Gitz
Dagger: Boingrot, Herder, Cave Squig
Shield: Boingrot Boss, Herder, Cave Squig
Hammer Herder, Cave Squig

This was a target assassination game, with the squigs on the defensive. Also a bit of a bloodbath, as we rolled the +1 attacks twist!

Turn 1 was some relatively safe slapping and jockeying to cover engagements for when the defender declares the model-to-murder.

Turn 2 sees bodies start to drop, including the slayer boss who brings the boingrot boss down to 5 wounds after some clever positioning and a decisive use of Rune of Accuracy.

Both sides' hammers pop up on opposite board corners, and I declare it's squig to be the target. The remaining slayers are miles away at this point, and start moving to box in the target.

The next two turns is the most Bloodbowl-esque I've seen this system behave! The remaining non-objective squigs try to take out as many slayers as they can while the rest are body blocked by sacrificial herders. I end up with 10 wounds on the squig, and all but three slayers killed.

Dispossessed Losses: 6x Slayer, Gargant Slayer
Gitz Losses: Boingrot, Boingrot Boss, Cave Squig, Herder x2     

NOTES: I was expecting  a stomp here in favor of the gitz, but I made the slayers punchy enough to deal with the dreaded squig knights in a couple of turns. I think they're in a pretty good place atm!

Hey all, I've released my rules for Greenskinz, and have updated the Dispossessed rules

Dwarf update includes:

Spoiler

Hammerers and Longbeards redone
Ironbreakers down 1S up 1T
Gargant Slayer damage down to 3/6 from 4/6
All Leaders except the Gargant Slayer now have the Champion runemark (for access to shield wall)
Standard Bearer/Musician added

Testing and feedback is as always greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...