Hi everyone, this is my first post here (long time reader though). A couple of weeks ago a few of us decided to start a Path to Glory campaign, having not played a game of either WHFB, AoS or 40k in about 10 years I was quite excited to get cracking on my warband (I have still been painting a lot of during those 10 years though).

Initially we were going to play a game of Skirmish using the updated rules from January's White Dwarf, which being a bit more flexible on what you could take meant I went to town on an Aelf/Tree soup of 5 Dryads, a Spellweaver (converted Tidecaster aka the Treecaster) and 3 each of Sisters of the Watch, and Shadow Warriors. This was the status as of Tuesday:

0.jpg.74ee2ba1273498beae77442fbc8e1a14.jpg

That was 250 renown, but then we decided to go Path to Glory which complicated things with the Allegiance choices. First off I needed to pad out the Dryads to a legal unit of 10:

0.2.jpg.1f440f5d2d3d1f52a5fd029fbcba5a1d.jpg

As there are no Path to Glory tables for Wanderers I modified the Sylvaneth one and added illegal 5 person units of Shadow Warriors and Sisters of the Watch (later these will be merged into a 10 strong unit of Sisters), so I assembled up 2 more each of the those, painted them and added them to the force:

1.jpg.a0df53eb212b4f1bc707d91fa300f277.jpg

With the Spellweaver having 3 unit choices/rolls on the follower table that's the first game's models sorted, but I was really getting into painting these guys this week and wanted to paint some more. Cue the Kurnoth Hunters:

2.jpg.3cb853b2c1d01b19b8903d583b4096b6.jpg

Painted in the same scheme as the Dryads and with the same coloured (thanks Aethermatic blue)  weapons as the Aelves I think these guys fit in well with their friends:

2.1.jpg.f1c5d4eadf5e97d90a8df74df4d3c651.jpg

And today I decided to paint up the Treelord from the Start Collecting box in the same scheme (he wasn't finished when I took the group shot above) but here he is in all his snowy happiness:

3.jpg.4aa710a816708aba93cf07726fc4cc3c.jpg

All these guys were painted in the last 10 days using mostly contrast paints with a few highlights (I did a write up on the painting method and some background stuff here: https://www.goonhammer.com/tale-of-3-warlords-campaign-for-the-northern-wastes-age-of-sigmar/ ).

Next week I'm looking at painting up some Eternal Guard and a Waywatcher (converted from one of the Eternal Guard and spares from the Sisters box, as I decided to start the army days before GW pulled the Waywatcher from the store), just waiting on an OOP metal Eternal Guard from ebay to arrive to replace the plastic one I converted to the Waywatcher.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 12

Took a picture of the full gang earlier, according to the Warscroll Builder this is 900pts on the nose (Spirit of Durthu being a good 3rd of that). I'm about 1/2 way through the first half of the Eternal Guard and the Waywatcher kitbash so they should be done tomorrow hopefully, and then the bits for the 2nd half will arrive later in the week.

20190811_161254243_iOS.jpg.eb83e1731c3a5f10c6a3c3bc4a895a02.jpg

Edited by richyp
  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks guys. I did the first 5 Eternal Guard, and just bought another Start Collecting Sylvaneth box to max out the Dryads and to add Treelord to join Durthu :)
20190813_114250490_iOS.jpg.7aa31bfb2dd6f47b9533427365313ea1.jpg

I converted up a Waywatcher from one of them too, as I decided to start this army the same week GW pulled some of the the line 🤦‍♂️

20190813_114307342_iOS.jpg.73f67558aa1d950db7191d770c23dbb4.jpg

I've just got an older metal one from ebay to make up for the pilfered parts.

There's more tutorials on the site too, it's mostly 40k stuff but I did do a piece on simple OSL too, the painting articles are here https://www.goonhammer.com/category/painting/ if anyone else want's to check them out.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

I decided to add a Knight-Azyros from the Stormcast range to give a nice +1 to hit Aura to the gunline (the auro is for all friendly units and not limited to Stormcast) she'll help boost the Sisters of the Watch and Kurnoth Hunters.

Problem is a Knight-Azyros would look out of place so I kitbashed a suitably angry Winterleaf alternative:

20190829_193928404_iOS.jpg.b48886fcaf495a873d6c81d4688ba71e.jpg

The Stormcast head will be the glowing lantern bit, figured I'd have some link back to the actual model in some way :)

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Red_Shift said:

Are the heads on your archers all from the stock kit? It's all looking great.

Thanks.

The heads on the Sisters of the Watch are the standard ones, on the Shadow Warriors one is from the Dark Elf Blood Bowl team and another is an old Eldar Guardian head. The Eternal Guard are just using the Rangers hooded heads from the alternative build option (Wildwood Rangers).

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Not painted much Sigmar stuff recently but I've got a Skirmish game coming up on Friday so I decided to add a few more guys to the army in the guise of some Tree-Revenants, here's the unit:

IMG_2167.jpg.63effec812fed72076722091eb452344.jpg

They were really quick to do with Contrast paints, the brown parts are Wyldwood thinned over Wraithbone, the blue parts are Aehtermatic blue.  Brown washed with Athoninan Camoshade and highlighted with Kreig Khaki, and the blue highlighted with VMC white.

All in about 3hrs painting for all 5 guys.

Here's the Skirmish force:

IMG_2168.jpg.6978aae1d81517db26b065b97cfa4d49.jpg

You can spy some Idoneth in the background because that's my next big project (Alliance of Wood and Sea).

I bought Yithari's Guardians today too, so they'll probably get some paint at the weekend.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Bailed on Ythari's Guardians, as I went to Warhammer World on Friday where I played a game with the above Skirmish war band and grabbed some more bits. 

An Awakened Wyldwood, some more Kurnoth Hunters and a Branchwraith.

IMG_2235.jpg.3ab6b59bc3cef313d91a7df6966cf40f.jpg

She's painted more inverted than normally seen (the blue / green bits are normally wooden coloured). I'll be working on the first Awakened Wyldwood, the Hunters and some of the 2nd Start Collecting box over the next couple of weeks. The goal is to phase out the non-Sylvaneth units and make it a pure Winterleaf army.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 1/8/2020 at 3:14 AM, ThalmorRepresentative said:

This army is so glorious! I rather like that you've kept the scheme colors relatively simple. You're far more disciplined than I :D.

Thank you, having a really quick scheme makes the next 10 dryads in the queue a lot more palatable.

10 hours ago, Arnied3 said:

How did you do the treelord bases - the water effect is class! 

Cheers, its just paint and varnish, What I did was paint the whole base in Wyldwood, then where I wanted water I added a very watery layer of Incubi Darkness and dotted in some green in various patches so it'd bleed into the watery incubi for some variation. Once that's dried I brushed 'Ard Coat over it to give it the wet look.

I wrote an article on Goonhammer where I used the same process for slime bases on my Nurgle guys: https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-base-everything-pools-of-slime/

• Like 1

In model painting news, I've painted up 3 more Kurnoth Hunters today bringing the total number of Bow guys to 6

IMG_2267.jpg.c1e9f6ae26977137a2df4b3d0c7ff4b2.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg.54e2a4cd207c08429c2c050dbc2d7ca5.jpg

And a group shot

IMG_2272.jpg.c51806cd5beac1fd659302e9c8e9ab72.jpg

They're a little more blue here, the actual colours are as above.

Need to do 10 more dryads, 6 more Kurnoth (Swords this time) and 1 more Awakened Wyldwood (3 more regular trees) and I've got my 2000pt list ready to take to battle.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1