Can you paint over varnish?

LoopyZebra

Hello!

I'm using Contrast heavily to paint the Untamed Beasts from Warcry. I plan to do highlights and touchup with classic paints after the contrast. I'd like to varnish after the contrast is done to give me a stopping point so I can play with them while not worrying about the Contrast rubbing off. Is it possible to paint on top of the varnish (munitorium spray) using the regular citadel paints?

Thank you for your help!

Yes you can paint over the varnish.  I'd give it a bit of extra time to fully cure so that all the solvents and propellant in the can will fully disperse, but the only issue will be if the varnish is slippery.  I don't know if munitorum spray is the gloss or the matte, but the gloss can be tricky to paint over.

I haven't used Contrast Paints yet but from what I gathered you're actually supposed to varnish after using them anyways, as they rub more readily off than classic paints.

If you varnish with a matte coat, paint will easily stick to it - matte paints a very porous, hence they break the light and make the finish duller than let's say gloss varnishes - that's also why a gloss coat makes washes/shades or even oil paints flow better and stain the whole mini less, as the surface is much smoother and the wash can flow into the crevices easily. :)

You might need to it again with a matte coat after you're done though, as many acrylic paints have at least a semi-satin finish, which is often reflecting light more than the varnished version. If your paintlayers are thin enough that won't hurt the overall quality of the paintjob though!