Khorne bloodbound (1000) points

Jamie

Hello I'm beginning war gaming again after a three year break, would like some advice on a new army list I'm planning on building and playing, I have around of the miniatures at the moment need to start painting, I've read some of the realmgate wars series and have decided Khorne is the way I want to go, 

Leaders - 260

Mighty Lord of Khorne - 140

Bloodsecrator - 120

Battleline - 740

Blood Warriors x10 - 200

Blood Warriors x10 - 200

Blood Warriors x10 - 200

Skullreapers x5 - 140

This is just a small force with plans of expanding into a 2000 army, I'm very slow at painting so want to get some games out soon

The plan is to run the Blood Warriors forward with a semi circle set up with the Lord and his retinue of skullreapers behind to move into any gaps in the lines and face flankers, the bloodsecrator will hang back as far as the portal of skulls rule will allow him, the reason for 3 units of 10 blood Warriors is to make the best use of the Lords command ability 

What does everyone think ? I'm not taking reavers as I simply don't like the models 

Sounds good. Blood warriors are very strong. Remember take the guys off the front when in close combat,  and make the unit champion the guy with the goreglavie and remove him last, or if you feel like you'll fail the battleshock (if the banner guy is dead) remove him then. 

Don't forget the banner affects the skullreapers unit champion on both weapons. So he gains 2 attacks so make sure he an 1 other guy gets into combat an same again,  remove champion last 

Ok thanks for the advice :) 

I was thinking of arming the Warriors with gorefists and the skullreapers with goreslick blades 

I feel that if the secrator dies that the whole army will fall apart as the bravery isn't much to shout about, or is this not a problem ? 

14 hours ago, Jamie said:

Ok thanks for the advice :) 

I was thinking of arming the Warriors with gorefists and the skullreapers with goreslick blades 

I feel that if the secrator dies that the whole army will fall apart as the bravery isn't much to shout about, or is this not a problem ? 

Personally it's not as big a problem as you would think although it will hamper your damage potential - Blood Warriors do take a bit of effort to remove (Bloodsecrator even more).  I think the worst case is if you go against an opponent that reduces your bravery.  If you're more worried consider an Aspiring Deathbringer who's command ability adds +1 attack to all units within 6" although you would loose the Gorelord ability.

I tend to arm my Blood Warriors with Gorefists too, although they don't trigger that often, throwing out odd mortal wounds is quite useful in 1000 pt games.  Although you could argue you should get more use out of a to-hit re-roll, I just like the idea of possibly punching the person who's just hit me in the face :D

I really like that list, I always love lines of basic troops!

I am also building my first 1000 points army and I am going to build something similar. I only arm my Blood Warriors with the extra axe, it just looks cooler and rerolls are always a good thing.

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

If the gore fists gave +1 armour when attacked in close combat I'd take it. But the save and then a 6+ for a mortal wound.. but hard to get tbh. Likely to be off a 5+ save not good chances.

I think if they wounded on a 3+ rather than 4+ I'd likely have all of them with paired axes.  That said it's down to personal preference and means two people's armies aren't verbatim :)  I'm likely going to arm my next unit with paired axes so will then have a mix of the two.

9 minutes ago, LordDrakonus said:

I'd go wrath-mongers over skull-reapers, its a scary unit that can really mess with monsters if you see any at 1k.

That's not a bad thing to consider.  Wrathmongers are a little more expensive (180 vs. 140) and they're 5+ save is pretty soft.  Plant them behind a line of blood warriors where you can take advantage of their 2" range while still being somewhat protected and feed your blood warriors that extra attack with Crimson Haze.

Skullreapers are excellent though at mowing through large units of weak models.  Push them into a big unit of weak models and ramp up Trial of Skulls and they become really potent.

On 11 August 2016 at 6:31 PM, Arkiham said:

Sounds good. Blood warriors are very strong. Remember take the guys off the front when in close combat,  and make the unit champion the guy with the goreglavie and remove him last, or if you feel like you'll fail the battleshock (if the banner guy is dead) remove him then. 

Don't forget the banner affects the skullreapers unit champion on both weapons. So he gains 2 attacks so make sure he an 1 other guy gets into combat an same again,  remove champion last 

There are of course tactical exceptions to this, I have been known to voluntarily remove my gore glaiver in certain situations in order to get him a second attack for the turn, obviously the circumstances are pretty specific, but the no respite rule can be handy if you're on the last turn of the game and really need to kill something.

On 12 August 2016 at 9:53 AM, Arkiham said:

If the gore fists gave +1 armour when attacked in close combat I'd take it. But the save and then a 6+ for a mortal wound.. but hard to get tbh. Likely to be off a 5+ save not good chances.

The way I play Khorne Bloodbound is all about attack ramp, stack the bloodsecrator with an aspiring deathbringer with Wrathmongers and your blood warriors will be kicking out 5 attacks per model. At that point you get far more our of rerolling 1s to hit because it scales with your buffs while the gore fists don't.

On 12 August 2016 at 2:59 PM, LordDrakonus said:

I'd go wrath-mongers over skull-reapers, its a scary unit that can really mess with monsters if you see any at 1k.

Yes me too, wrath-mongers are a force multiplier while skull reapers are just another beatsticks in an army full of beatsticks. They do require some clever placement though, you don't want to be giving your enemy too many free attacks.

• 1 month later...

If it was me, I'd get a hold of a slaughter priest asap. You need some kind of anti magic out there. And any player who knows what he's doing is gonna shoot the c--p outa that bloodsecrator. You might want to look into something else to add more attacks as well. Just sayin'.

I'm playing something similar since a while, and I had few to no issues with that until I found more than 1 shooting unit.

Against 2 units shooting or just a strong one like kurnoth hunters, it's really, really hard to win as they will delete a unit every turn...

So I now play a unit of 3 skullcrushers. 

Anybody else found the same "problem"?

i use 1 unit of 30 always, they are a good unit to take points per number, their "defense" are on his point cost, and if the enemy shoot him with rending atacks you win this. If only 10 of them go in they split 30 atacks... anyway you can play 3 units of 10 too, and use them as a shield to die bcause they are only 60 point cost, but.... take care 3 atacks per barb xD. A lot of stormcast heroes can have bad moments if 10 of them atack first in this state.

Anyway bloodsecrator is necesari for this, if ur enemy kill him the party is done xDxD. Thats cause i'm proving the marauders with khorne mark too, they are awesome too.

Archived