A request to tournament organisers

Chikout

In light of the recent news about the discontinued order minis and the loss of green skins earlier this year I'd like to encourage tournament organisers around the world to ignore a recent gw faq. 

This particular faq states that any models which don't have a pitched battle profile in the most recent ghb are not eligible for matched play. 

In my opinion this is a very poor decision by gw. I strongly believe that any warscroll or battalion published by gw for use in AOS with a pitched battle profile should be playable in any matched play game so long as the most recent version of that scroll and the most recent points are used. 

Due to the lack of synergies and army rules old warscrolls will never be broken. Over time players will gradually move to new armies as gw releases cool new Aelf and destruction armies. You will probably never see more than a handful of these  old units or armies at a single tournament.

Please let players use their toys.

Edited by Chikout
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

From what I can tell a lot of major events already ignore what GW publishes. GW doesn't have any sort of control over the tournament scene, they pulled back from it a very long time ago and then went into community interaction silence for a good number of years under Kirby. So as a result the tourney scene got very used to running without GW's involvement. 

So you might well find many events from this year are not too affected or that many still allow legacy armies. However I would expect this to steadily change over the years as newer people join up and the time since those armies were last on sale increases; esp if a new edition comes out and GW doesn't update the legacy points. 

Remember GW already says that models are legal on the base they were sold with (including squares) and yet many events require round bases.

14 hours ago, Chikout said:

This particular faq states that any models which don't have a pitched battle profile in the most recent ghb are not eligible for matched play. 

I would not support this. A request to GW in order to make changes to the game is something I fully support. Requests to TOs to selectively alter matched play and ignore published FAQs is not something i personally am interested in at all.

I'd go one step further and say we allow people to use their old models in Cities armies as "proxies." Let Thunderers be Guild Gunners. Let Swordmasters be Greatswords. I say we band together and give people the chance to use their armies without having to resort to outdated, soon to be legacy rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Remember GW already says that models are legal on the base they were sold with (including squares) and yet many events require round bases.

They have moved away from that stance wiht the GH19: They did not fully commit and add it to the core rules or matched play rules. But they note their intent for events requiring rounds on pg 70. I included the bold section that also notes that TOs can do as they please.

image.png.02ff8dce5c59125d8742913f79f2429e.png

image.png.7fe72515f91f54c1113e8607030ea463.png

9 minutes ago, Mutton said:

I'd go one step further and say we allow people to use their old models in Cities armies as "proxies." Let Thunderers be Guild Gunners. Let Swordmasters be Greatswords. I say we band together and give people the chance to use their armies without having to resort to outdated, soon to be legacy rules.

If you ask your TO before hand I think this is 100% the best use for old models. Armies look nice. They arent even "proxies" since the models are not in production and can't be confused with there actual warscroll. I'd call them "count as". "count as" models have been legal at LVO forever and that probably wont change soon.