General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

11 minutes ago, The_Tallest_Ork said:

I just assembled a set of Cypher Lords for warcry, and I'm a little nervous about painting them since some of their arms and weapons flex really easily. Will GW paint/varnish crack and flake off if one of their spears catches on some scenery and bends a little? Are there any special steps y'all take to protect your extra-spindly figures?

A good way to protect then is magnetize for transport.

Other than that, matte varnish wont help much imo.

Also never seen it cracking

A friend and I were hoping to make a game board for Armies on Parade, and while we have an idea in mind, we're struggling with how to make city walls? A guard tower would also be nice. I don't suppose anyone has some good tips on how to build city walls, or a good place to buy them?

2 hours ago, Enoby said:

A friend and I were hoping to make a game board for Armies on Parade, and while we have an idea in mind, we're struggling with how to make city walls? A guard tower would also be nice. I don't suppose anyone has some good tips on how to build city walls, or a good place to buy them?

There are plenty of places to buy, like TTCombat. Guess it requires a more in-depth google research.

For DIY on the cheaper side, I'd like to try the GreenStuffWorld rolling pins: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/51-textured-rolling-pins

Seems to be easy to make your own walls or even whole city. This is a cool tutorial: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/creative/en/projects/221/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes an idea is so dumb, that you just have to do it. Hence... Riding on the Witch King of Cankerwalls monstrous mounts wrecking ball... The Nurgling... 

Smiley Virus: 

GKnurgling.jpg

(He's sitting on this guy, I forgot to take a pic with the nurgling added): 

GK3.jpg

Please tell me you get the joke. Otherwise, I'm too far gone into "dad-joke-country". 

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 8/31/2019 at 3:12 AM, Enoby said:

Search black magic craft stone walls on YouTube. 

On 9/2/2019 at 10:08 PM, GuitaRasmus said:

Sometimes an idea is so dumb, that you just have to do it. Hence... Riding on the Witch King of Cankerwalls monstrous mounts wrecking ball... The Nurgling... 

Smiley Virus: 

GKnurgling.jpg

(He's sitting on this guy, I forgot to take a pic with the nurgling added): 

GK3.jpg

Please tell me you get the joke. Otherwise, I'm too far gone into "dad-joke-country". 

Its amazing that in all your horribly wonderful conversions... that smiley nurgling makes it NSFW ;) 

On 9/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, amysrevenge said:

Tried the white contrast paint. Not impressed. It's just gray? I mixed it very well, including stirring the stuff up from the bottom manually with a stick.  And it's just gray.

(I'm no beginner, and I have used and loved other contrast colours).

Which base did you use for it? Apothecary White was literally the only contrast paint I was excited for but was seriously disappointed by it’s performance. I tried it on a grey seer base coat and just ended up with a cool grey which needed layering to bring up to white (which defeated the purpose of even using the contrast paint white). I’m still holding out hope that using Wraithbone as a base may give it more of a white look but so far haven’t had to energy to attempt it. 

16 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

Which base did you use for it? Apothecary White was literally the only contrast paint I was excited for but was seriously disappointed by it’s performance. I tried it on a grey seer base coat and just ended up with a cool grey which needed layering to bring up to white (which defeated the purpose of even using the contrast paint white). I’m still holding out hope that using Wraithbone as a base may give it more of a white look but so far haven’t had to energy to attempt it. 

I've been using Apothecary  white a bit, and I've had pretty good results using it over Corax white, though I'm thinking it might look good over white scar/ceramite white

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

Ok friends. I am getting my Cities project rolling while we wait on Gotrek and the book to finally drop.

First up is Maleneth. I have most of the mini figured out but the right head bit eludes me. 

So any thoughts on one that would work?

517abLvlW8L._SL500_.jpg

Maybe the head from the Dark Elf Sorceress? Most other female elves don't quite have the right look.

I'd suggest looking at the Eldar range and see if there's a head there that might suit, though they've not many plastics and it might be that a good head is going to be too adorned with mechanical stuff to work. 

You might be able to remove a crown or tiara with some careful blade shaving and such. Then rebuild with a bit more hair as hers is quite wild, but short cropped for a witch aelf (who mostly are rocking with huge hair styles like they all grew up fans of Team Rocket  from Pokemon ;))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Ok friends. I am getting my Cities project rolling while we wait on Gotrek and the book to finally drop.

First up is Maleneth. I have most of the mini figured out but the right head bit eludes me. 

So any thoughts on one that would work?

517abLvlW8L._SL500_.jpg

If you don't mind looking outside of GW for heads, these would work pretty well.  I have a lot of these figures and they are really well done.  Heads are almost always a separate piece so moding should not be a problem

ASHARAH_DE_FI_blister-card_Resin_2000x.jpg

darkelf_woman.jpg

Death_Dancer_13_1f14b2ef-6b93-405e-aab5-48653dc002b4_2000x.jpg

She's not an elf she's a demon - who clearly learned combat from watching superhero and anime fight films. Raging Heroes have some really neat stuff and some stuff I don't like - like I don't like their "squished together bodies" alternate fiends. 

That said their new "Female Untamed Beasts" look fab and they are getting an elk rider for them too which is even better 

Did they just give Archibald his own cloak!?! :)

And yes I think many a gamer has a Vale of Sprues at least until the great Cleansing Wind comes to sweep it all away unto dark worlds beyond even the limits of the Mortal Realms; carried aloft in the Chariots of Dennis (at least most in the UK are still a Dennis rubbish truck)