General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

I saw some really great Chosen for Slaanesh using the 40K Sisters of Silence kit. The Sisters of Silence kit even comes with two handed swords as an option so most of the work is done for you. Give them some converted heads and the like or even just paint them up and they'd fit right into a fantasy army. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Overread said:

I saw some really great Chosen for Slaanesh using the 40K Sisters of Silence kit. The Sisters of Silence kit even comes with two handed swords as an option so most of the work is done for you. Give them some converted heads and the like or even just paint them up and they'd fit right into a fantasy army. 

I've also seen them as greatswords. They are excellent sculpts, but I don't know what scale they are in (Kairic humans? Sisters of Battle humans? Freeguild Guard humans?). Could also easily be Executioners, and would be a better Freeguild General than the Freeguild General.

In the included picture, I can't tell whether it's an AoS or 40k unit!

gamesworkshop_1584117409299.jpg.18081143333e1ce5608f75ee9237d522.jpg

Edited by zilberfrid

41 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I've also seen them as greatswords. They are excellent sculpts, but I don't know what scale they are in (Kairic humans? Sisters of Battle humans? Freeguild Guard humans?). Could also easily be Executioners, and would be a better Freeguild General than the Freeguild General.

In the included picture, I can't tell whether it's an AoS or 40k unit!

gamesworkshop_1584117409299.jpg.18081143333e1ce5608f75ee9237d522.jpg

Oh Wow, those are amazing. I would not have guessed they were hiding away in the 40k section!

6 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Oh Wow, those are amazing. I would not have guessed they were hiding away in the 40k section!

There is one sad thing about them, they are 68 euro per 10.

Inquisitors would also work if you have a bit of steampunk/magitech/etc in your city:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Inquisitor-Greyfax-2018

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Grey-Knights-Inquisitor-with-Inferno-Pistol-Power-Sword

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Crusaders

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Ordo-Xenos-Lord-Inquisitor-Kyria-Draxus-2020 (though changing the right arm)

Edited by zilberfrid

Since Corona-numbers go up again in my area, I changed direction. An AoS game outside the house may be inadvisable for the next months anyway. So I decided to make my collection playable at home. Next project: A nice Hinterlands playing area, with multiple warbands to choose from, a 4x4 battlemat and lots of things to clutter it with. 
First clutter ready to go: 

E91790BC-75EF-410B-9F35-8097B4AB2B84.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

Since Corona-numbers go up again in my area, I changed direction. An AoS game outside the house may be inadvisable for the next months anyway. So I decided to make my collection playable at home. Next project: A nice Hinterlands playing area, with multiple warbands to choose from, a 4x4 battlemat and lots of things to clutter it with. 
First clutter ready to go: 

E91790BC-75EF-410B-9F35-8097B4AB2B84.jpeg

If you're up for a lot of terrain building, Rangers of Shadowdeep is a miniature based solo/coop game.

That would put your minis to work quite nicely!

• Thanks 1

I noticed that normal paint isn't "holding" well to sprayed / airbrushed gold  or metallics in general. It is kinda flowing like a wash but not so extreme.

Could I stop this from happening when I matt varnish the parts I want to paint over with another color? Or is it me having wrong paint consistency once again :D?

1 hour ago, schwabbele said:

I noticed that normal paint isn't "holding" well to sprayed / airbrushed gold  or metallics in general. It is kinda flowing like a wash but not so extreme.

Could I stop this from happening when I matt varnish the parts I want to paint over with another color? Or is it me having wrong paint consistency once again :D?

I do notice the Vallejo Airbrush metals have something similar even when brushed, but it's also quite smooth. Similar when I took the wrong spraycan and sprayed black metallic on my Kharadron instead of flat black, though I attributed that to just the wrong kind of paint.

Made some progress on my AoA chaos lord that will be mounted atop a hellcannon. Hellcannon has been sprayed and will need painting soon then will need to do crew.

Not too happy with how the face came out but it will do, it's fine for tabletop quality at least, gotta finish her cloak still.

20201017_005306.jpg

Edited by Lightbox

11 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Hey guys quick question, I'm sub assembling my Gargant to make painting easier. Question is when I go to reassemble would it be better to use Plastic or Super Glue?

When I do sub assemblies I like to test fit and then place tacky glue dots at the points of contact before priming. That way i can peel them off exposing the plastic underneath after priming.

After that it's just a personal preference on Plastic/Super glue as you've avoided the trap of primer on primer connections.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

When I do sub assemblies I like to test fit and then place tacky glue dots at the points of contact before priming. That way i can peel them off exposing the plastic underneath after priming.

After that it's just a personal preference on Plastic/Super glue as you've avoided the trap of primer on primer connections.

What's the trap with primer on primer?

I figured having these boxes on my desk would shame me action but instead they just became a towering monument to depression.

anyway a small victory for the sullen as after months I was spurred into action today and built them, now they can join their mates in the miserable ‘to be painted’ pile.

huzzah

26842F51-1EE3-45CB-93F4-6B635844DF0A.jpeg

75C68047-86E3-4126-AFF1-9A3F4D53D9B2.jpeg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, JPjr said:

I figured having these boxes on my desk would shame me action but instead they just became a towering monument to depression.

anyway a small victory for the sullen as after months I was spurred into action today and built them, now they can join their mates in the miserable ‘to be painted’ pile.

huzzah

Not bad going to build all that in one day, quick spray of primer and that's another hurdle cleared :)

I've been working on a unit of blightlords after starting and abandoning them a couple of months ago. I haven't painted larger models before and found it difficult to get the highlights and shading looking good on the fly. So, when I came back to them I started on the riders and completed the armour and cloth, it's given me more motivation to keep going.

It's not something I have heard before, but if I was starting another large model, I would start and finish one section/detail before moving onto the next. It makes it feel like less of a struggle to me anyway!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JPjr said:

huzzah

26842F51-1EE3-45CB-93F4-6B635844DF0A.jpeg

Take it step by step and you’ll get there. 
next step undercoating one warband? 
that way you can either undercoat or paint whatever you fancy at that time. 

at least that works for me at the moment.  I have several kits on the table in various stages of ready to build, ready to undercoat, ready to paint, ready to base and in the middle of painting.

whenever I feel or have time to do one of those things, I have no hurdles to make a little progress. Although it’s a pain that I can’t really have the building stuff lying around as my daughter can no climb on the table by herself ☹️

• Like 1

I’ve been building a new Khorne list based on slaves. WIP shot . Once these are done I plan to get a chaos lord on daemonic Mount (or convert one with a spare horse)

I have also continued exploring the vast range of excellent board games out there. Recently getting War of the Ring. in the pic, Saruman is smashing Rohan, but Pippin is in fangorn - what could possibly go wrong.

There are 205 minis! The quality of the plastic is bad but I am contemplating using different contrast paints and picking out key details to help distinguish the armies.

7C286067-FB59-45DC-A7B9-29A4A0038492.jpeg

73AE4D3C-C6F5-4A12-9F34-C6A191A47313.jpeg

1552B562-3380-4044-B0E6-4CCCB019AC21.jpeg

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 1