General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

Well, having seen the individual unit prices I finally caved & grabbed a Lumineth box set before they were all gone.

Now whilst the ltd edition battletome is a lovely piece of work I really don’t know why I thought my brain would find this even vaguely tolerable...

EA807133-A6A1-40A3-ADB1-01250A549EC0.jpeg

If I'm honest, that was the main reason I didn't go for that boxed set. I was very tempted by it, since it has most of the models I really like, but I knew that the "wrong" battletome would stick out just as much as it does in your photo, and I like my book shelves to be tidy!

On an unrelated note, I never knew the Realm of Chaos books were so huge! Those are still lacking from my retro warhammer collection, but perhaps one day...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oh, just 15 hours left to get the WFRP 1edition bundle of holding deal (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1E, Middenheim: City of Chaos, Marienburg: Sold Down the River, Shadows Over Bögenhafen, Death on the Reik, Power Behind the Throne, Something Rotten in Kislev, Empire in Flames).

Assuming you don't already own it all or have swiped it off the net this so worth picking up, just as a piece of RPG history it's essential but that main rulebook is such a wonderful thing to just spend an hour or two with every now and then.

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/2020WFRP1E

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Mad max on Netflix. Great new esher  models. Great necromunda models in general. Seems like a great match. 
What would be a cool faction to convert to that theme? 

idk, bikes for eels, big rig for turtle. 
KO, three seizes of ships. Balloon bois as the pole vaulting warriors 

Dok, rigs for the altars. 
Skaven, Max doomwheels, warpfire throwers with electric guitars, 

beastclaw raiders. Mournfang bikes, monsters as the bigger cars. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Okay. Mad max on Netflix. Great new esher  models. Great necromunda models in general. Seems like a great match. 
What would be a cool faction to convert to that theme? 

idk, bikes for eels, big rig for turtle. 
KO, three seizes of ships. Balloon bois as the pole vaulting warriors 

Dok, rigs for the altars. 
Skaven, Max doomwheels, warpfire throwers with electric guitars, 

beastclaw raiders. Mournfang bikes, monsters as the bigger cars. 

That's certainly quite a tall task, anyone who can do this is an absolute legend.

I've just finished painting my latest blood bowl team. At the moment it's taking me a month for each due to limited time and currently not enjoying painting as much as normal.

As soon as they were done though, they went straight in a box and into my cupboard, as with the other blood bowl teams I've painted this year that have also taken a similar time. I can't put them in my display case as I have one and it is full. I just find it so disappointing to spend so long painting something then put it in a box and it doesn't get viewed for ages, it almost feels like why did I bother in the first place.

Anyone else got any disappointing hobby moments?

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Rodiger said:

Mostly due to time constraints. I was really excited about trying a bright and colourful paint scheme. But as I didn't have the time to really explore it, it never really clicked. But when I enjoy the painting I don't really mind if anybody ever sees it. 

Reading your story it seems you didn't enjoy the process, that sucks. If you get satisfaction from other people seeing your work, maybe ask a FLGS if they want to display a team and switch them every so often. Here at least the stores would be happy to display models from different ranges. And if you have the teams to switch them around a bit even better I assume. 

• Like 1

My disappointment was going t the hospital for a week then coming home to find they forgot to lock the cat out of my bedroom where I left my models on my display shelf. Months later I was still discovering plastic arms and swords under my furniture.

Hobby stuff though:

Well first September was pretty hype for me between Alarith mountain units and Nintendo news(Stormground, Silver Tower & Mario) so I did two sketches.

aos_fanart_lumineth_alarith_stoneguard_b

mario_and_aos_crossover_2021_release_hyp

Then there's this awesome Stormcast post on twitter of Anvils embracing their spooky side for October:

https://mobile.twitter.com/zac_cady/status/1312017098730807297

Started a new project for October: Spookcast Eternals! #WarhammerCommunity #AgeOfSigmar"
EjU4VsTWoAAhkOx?format=jpg&name=small

Realm of Plastic made a Lumineth army name generator that could be useful to the illuminated narrative players here.

"Realm of Plastic
We've tried to reflect the Lumineth Realm-Lords' juxtaposition of enlightenment and arrogance in this army name generator - we only hope the result is worthy of the sons and daughters of Teclis!"

And finally an awesome custom narrative campaign map of a group's adventures in their parts of the Realm of Fire. Great map, cool scenario and awesome background of why those boiling realmscapes are even more heated up than usual.
w7p5kfnd98l51.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 10/4/2020 at 7:56 AM, Rodiger said:

I've just finished painting my latest blood bowl team. At the moment it's taking me a month for each due to limited time and currently not enjoying painting as much as normal.

As soon as they were done though, they went straight in a box and into my cupboard, as with the other blood bowl teams I've painted this year that have also taken a similar time. I can't put them in my display case as I have one and it is full. I just find it so disappointing to spend so long painting something then put it in a box and it doesn't get viewed for ages, it almost feels like why did I bother in the first place.

My suggestion would be to rotate what you have on display. Make one shelf the new models shelf, and put some older stuff away to free up space. Then have an "old favourites" shelf in pride of place, for the models you always want out. The rest can be rearranged as you go, to free up more room when your new models shelf fills up. You'll still be putting models in boxes, thats inevitable, but they will be ones you've had on display tor a while, and they can always come back to the cabinet at a later date.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

Reading your story it seems you didn't enjoy the process, that sucks. If you get satisfaction from other people seeing your work, maybe ask a FLGS if they want to display a team and switch them every so often. Here at least the stores would be happy to display models from different ranges. And if you have the teams to switch them around a bit even better I assume. 

No, it's not that, I don't really show my stuff to anyone, I've only put it on here occasionally, I don't do instagram or anything, I'm a pretty average painter really.

It's more like baking a cake then not bothering to eat it. I've got completely painted 2nd and 4th editon copies of Space Hulk, Dread fleet, various armies and loads of other models all sat in boxes in my cupboard that only ever see the light of day once in a long time. The solution would be to buy some shelves but the Missus isn't so keen on that idea.

25 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

My suggestion would be to rotate what you have on display. Make one shelf the new models shelf, and put some older stuff away to free up space. Then have an "old favourites" shelf in pride of place, for the models you always want out. The rest can be rearranged as you go, to free up more room when your new models shelf fills up. You'll still be putting models in boxes, thats inevitable, but they will be ones you've had on display tor a while, and they can always come back to the cabinet at a later date.

I do try to do that, I like to try and make little dioramas out of it, on average it's about a year for each on the shelf. But I also have various big models that can't go in boxes so they're all stuffed on a shelf just because there isn't anywhere else to put them. 

41 minutes ago, Rodiger said:

I do try to do that, I like to try and make little dioramas out of it, on average it's about a year for each on the shelf. But I also have various big models that can't go in boxes so they're all stuffed on a shelf just because there isn't anywhere else to put them. 

Yeah, I know that problem well. I have a whole "dragon shelf" full of big models who don't easily fit anywhere else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodiger said:

No, it's not that, I don't really show my stuff to anyone, I've only put it on here occasionally, I don't do instagram or anything, I'm a pretty average painter really.

It's more like baking a cake then not bothering to eat it. I've got completely painted 2nd and 4th editon copies of Space Hulk, Dread fleet, various armies and loads of other models all sat in boxes in my cupboard that only ever see the light of day once in a long time. The solution would be to buy some shelves but the Missus isn't so keen on that idea.

Oh than I mis understood. I thought you also got enjoyment from other people enjoying your work. 
what would be eating the cake for you? 

I like the rotating your own displays. Maybe little diorama’s even. 

weird suggestion? What about painting for other people. Than it’s also not full armies and big projects. But maybe that guy in your flgs who never gets around to painting their Warcry warband.  That would be a cool thing to paint, just do it for fun and let the other player pay for your paints. Then they will actually see play. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

That's a good idea. Some friendly  painting of teams/warbands  for eachother is a fun challenge and with their stuff painted it helps get people into games.(no excuse not to try if your guys are all assembled and you got free hobby time on your hands ;) )

Or if you're really desperate I have some guys that need to be assembled and painted ;) 

#beatingthebacklog

On 10/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, Rodiger said:

Disappointing moments... how about every time i finish a model and the result doesnt match the Eavy Metal standard in my head.

I recently found some really good miniature paint stripper ( 99% isopropyl alcohol). But it’s  been both a boon and a bane.   When ive made a mistake, or felt unsatisfied with a finished product ive stripped and started again.   Its easy to lose motivation when attempting the same model for the umpteenth time.  Ive made an effort to increase my painting time in the last couple of months, but ive probably achieved less per hour than ever before.

Not to get too Marie Kondo on you, but are you painting teams that ‘spark joy’ or is more about completionism - All the teams for bloodbowl, all the expansions for Blackstone etc ?    With a new season boxset coming this year, i guess there’s going to be a lot more new teams in the near future..

20 hours ago, Kramer said:

weird suggestion? What about painting for other people. Than it’s also not full armies and big projects. But maybe that guy in your flgs who never gets around to painting their Warcry warband.  That would be a cool thing to paint, just do it for fun and let the other player pay for your paints. Then they will actually see play. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't even have a flgs though, there isn't one in my city, and I barely have enough time to paint my own. I've basically got time for one or two painting sessions a week. 

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Not to get too Marie Kondo on you, but are you painting teams that ‘spark joy’ or is more about completionism - All the teams for bloodbowl, all the expansions for Blackstone etc ?    With a new season boxset coming this year, i guess there’s going to be a lot more new teams in the near future.

It's only completionist in the sense I want to finish the teams I own, I don't own all of them. As for enjoyment I want to paint some other things, I have 3 Imperial Knights I'd love to start on, but no where to put them when finished. I think I need some mental preparation for starting Blackstone. Seems like it would be tough to keep going with. 

Btw,I had to Google Marie Kondo, I've never heard of her.

And wow you strip the models,(phrasing) I've never done that. I don't think I could put myself through painting the model again. 

1 hour ago, Rodiger said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't even have a flgs though, there isn't one in my city, and I barely have enough time to paint my own. I've basically got time for one or two painting sessions a week. 

I meant instead of your own. Because that's not fully satisfying you. 
No flgs sucks though. 

24 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I meant instead of your own. Because that's not fully satisfying you. 
No flgs sucks though. 

Oh sorry, we're not doing a very good job of communication in this thread ha ha. 

Yeah, I'd love to have a flgs, I've got a couple of mates to play games with, but having the option to have pick up games would be fantastic.  For instance I really want to play Adeptus Titanicus at the moment, but my mate isn't that interested, so I have an un opened box of Titans. 

I'm a teacher and I would like to indoctrinate some of my students into warhammer, it'd be great to set up a club for them and maybe I could get some more game time or even get them to paint some of my models, but their Mums make them study so much, I can't see them being behind funding an expensive and time consuming hobby. 

48 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Do you have space for a second display cabinet? That's only a short term solution of course, and probably unlikely, but would give you more display space!

I've got my eye on a bookcase, I have the room for it. The Missus is the big stumbling block though. She's not the biggest fan of my warhammer hobby and she is pretty anti me buying one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Rodiger said:

I've got my eye on a bookcase, I have the room for it. The Missus is the big stumbling block though. She's not the biggest fan of my warhammer hobby and she is pretty anti me buying one. 

Good luck!
I'm planning to move house in the next few months and am really hoping that I can arrange everything in order to have space for two display cases, one for warhammer armies and one for model spacecraft. We shall see...

• Like 1

Whoa Nelly this is awesome!

https://mobile.twitter.com/groje/status/1313542132578295809

"jörg frey

@groje

"Sorry but I cannot wait for next #miniaturemonday to show you my just finished Stoneheart King!

I guess this was the most challenging but also most rewarding miniature I painted so far #ageofsigmar #paintingwarhammer #WarhammerCommunity #luminethrealmlords"

Ejqjmm7WkAEOfjX?format=jpg&name=900x900

And it looks like his next project might be the Mega-gargants. What a mad lad. :D

"I am sorry but I guess I will be busy painting Gargants next. Or my second cow. Let’s see"

• LOVE IT! 1

47 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Whoa Nelly this is awesome!

https://mobile.twitter.com/groje/status/1313542132578295809

"jörg frey

@groje

"Sorry but I cannot wait for next #miniaturemonday to show you my just finished Stoneheart King!

I guess this was the most challenging but also most rewarding miniature I painted so far #ageofsigmar #paintingwarhammer #WarhammerCommunity #luminethrealmlords"

Ejqjmm7WkAEOfjX?format=jpg&name=900x900

And it looks like his next project might be the Mega-gargants. What a mad lad. :D

"I am sorry but I guess I will be busy painting Gargants next. Or my second cow. Let’s see"

Holy cow!