General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

I've planned to slowly build up hobby supplies, paints and models (silver lining in both Lumineth and Gargants taking so long to come out!) the coming few months. Because I've been "blessed" with poor eyesight even a decade ago I couldn't get details on my models right. So finally got today a magnifying lamp! Grabbed my yet unpainted Gotrek and it felt really amazing to be able to really see all details without having to keep it half an inch from my eyes! Although I dare not to paint him until I get more practice, been so long since last time.

I however am unsure what brushes of all things are most essential to get 'battle-ready' miniatures. If you'd have to suggest a handful (GW or not), which would they be?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I've planned to slowly build up hobby supplies, paints and models (silver lining in both Lumineth and Gargants taking so long to come out!) the coming few months. Because I've been "blessed" with poor eyesight even a decade ago I couldn't get details on my models right. So finally got today a magnifying lamp! Grabbed my yet unpainted Gotrek and it felt really amazing to be able to really see all details without having to keep it half an inch from my eyes! Although I dare not to paint him until I get more practice, been so long since last time.

I however am unsure what brushes of all things are most essential to get 'battle-ready' miniatures. If you'd have to suggest a handful (GW or not), which would they be?

I am also partially sighted, and a magnifying lamp is one of my most useful tools. I often use it to insoect and plan, but don't always actually paint under it, since that can be slightly awkward.

For brushes the usual recommendations might not work as well if you struggle to see. I use tiny 000 brushes for detail because i find trying to use just the point on a 1 or 2 to be a challenge. You get less paint, which is why a lot of painters say to use something larger, but like everything, its a trade off. I'd say try a few things, see what works, and don't be afraid to go with something which the conventional wisdom says is wrong. Every one is different, and different disabilities require different tools.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

however am unsure what brushes of all things are most essential to get 'battle-ready' miniatures. If you'd have to suggest a handful (GW or not), which would they be

The tw things that helped me tons in the last two year was learning to use thinner. Such a game changer for me. 
but recently I got a wet palette. (A redgrass one) and that’s again a game changer.

at the same time I bought a size 1 and 2 winsor and newton series 7. And they do help. But not as much as the wet palette though. 
the ease of blending and consistent paint vs water is brilliant. 

and what @EccentricCircle says is absolutely true. My brushes are slightly bigger than my friends use but dare to fly into conventional wisdom if it works for you. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 5:45 AM, Public Universal Duardin said:

So as mentioned this my not work for you if you have sight issues, but I have found that something like a GW basecoat brush works very well for me 90% of the time. Smaller brushes keep drying off too fast. The main thing is to take good care of the tip so that it stays sharp. Other than that, a large brush for washes and a soft flat one for drybrush make up most of what I use.

• Thanks 1

Where it all began... Nice bit of hobby history here, the initial letter/press release announcing the launch of Games Workshop. Just dug out by Ian Livingstone in the process of them writing 'Dice Men', the official history of the company's early years (hopefully finished soon and published later this year).

https://unbound.com/books/games-workshop/updates/dice-men-update

IMG_6724.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I had far too much fun adding a zweihander and a wight king crown onto a mangler squig loonboss for my Arthurian goblin knights conversion project. My big worry is how I'm gonna handle doing heraldry on my boingrot bounderz whether I just do them as one per squad or proper mix and match them like bretonnians. Probably the latter and keep the uniformity of the squad only in which colour squig they ride.

Themed army projects have definitely become an exciting prospect for me. Even if this one will be light on conversions.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bayul said:

Super nerdy questions, but at which percent air humidity is it okay to prime models with a spray can outside? In my town it was  63 - 92 percent today and I am sitting on pile of grey plastic.

If you let them dry inside, it should be fine as long as they don't get rained on or anything.

Just now, michu said:

All Gryph-Hounds fans, we have an emergency! GW has a survey on their FB site with Gryph-Hound and Flesh Hound and the Khorne mongrel is winning right now! That cannot stand!

I was hoping it'd swing back by now but the chaos cur is ahead. I'll have to alert my discords to help Azyr's finest!

Also the official Warhammer Underworlds Facebook posted this glorious Sylvaneth warband based on the seasons. Truly a gift from the goddess of life. :D

83996551_2669899289755551_16638049782480

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

18 hours ago, Bayul said:

Super nerdy questions, but at which percent air humidity is it okay to prime models with a spray can outside? In my town it was  63 - 92 percent today and I am sitting on pile of grey plastic.

Could you please ask this in a relevant thread man! 
the rumour thread maybe! 

• Haha 2

On 1/17/2020 at 6:23 PM, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I don't remember the exact title because I'm not a huge Stephen King buff, but Red Rose was a pretty awesome series.  It's the one where the House itself is the supernatural entity.

You are really close - the exact title is "Rose Red".  Good miniseries.  Trifle long maybe, but it was really cool regardless.

2 hours ago, Ryan Taylor said:

I have too many sprues. I have 8 17l really useful boxes filled with sprues. 

This is causing me analysis paralysis and really effecting my hobby. 

I am thinking of selling off anything bar 1 army and only buying when I get it all built and painted. Has anyone else been through this? 

I need two or three projects at the same time to switch between. So be careful to sell all but one project if the same goes for you. 
But yes I now limit my spending and got rid of a few things and that does help me get through it better.