General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

I don't remember the exact title because I'm not a huge Stephen King buff, but Red Rose was a pretty awesome series.  It's the one where the House itself is the supernatural entity.

In more hobby related news, took my daughter to our LGS where she picked out her first mini, a Tomb Banshee.  Pretty excited to paint it together.

• Like 3

I'm not a huge King fan as such so I can't compare it to other series or films. It's a very quirky series and it takes a good while to get going. All I can say is that I've enjoyed the story, the quirks and the presentation and style. It's a bit of a puzzle at the start, but it provides a healthy rate of answer and fresh questions which I think engages the viewer. 

@Koradrel of Chrace sounds great that you're painting it up together. Hopefully that Banshee is the first of many models! 

On 1/18/2020 at 12:23 AM, Koradrel of Chrace said:

more hobby related news, took my daughter to our LGS where she picked out her first mini, a Tomb Banshee.  Pretty excited to paint it together.

That’s lovely stuff! My daughter, 13 months, keeps grabbing paint bottles if I don’t pay attention and collecting them in a corner. I’m guessing she’s figuring out a paint scheme. 😂
Have fun painting together 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Heh I remember those days!  I actually wish that was my problems these days.  My daughter is good now, but my son keeps trying to taste-test my models.

Haha play slaves to darkness. Surely all those spiky models are a deterrent ;) 

• Haha 2

Another absolutely fabulous conversion seen in the wild. I seriously love just how much creativity we’re seeing from Cities of Sigmar players at the moment.

Those who are really embracing the concept and all the possibilities really are becoming the platonic ideal of AoS players. 

I doff my massive floppy, floppy, feathered hat to them all.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

listophiles might be interested in checking this out, the organiser of the upcoming Hammer & Bolter tournament here in Belgium has just published all the army lists (97 AoS / 100 40K).

An interesting snapshot perhaps of how the game is played in more civilised countries than the barbaric theocracy that is the US & dismal inbred little old Airstrip One.

OBR & Hedonites obviously well represented but a pretty decent showing by most factions. I was actually planning on making this my first ever tournament (with pure Squig nonsense) but sadly will be driving back from Austria on the Saturday now. Tempted to go on Sunday with my camera though and just take pics, there’s a guy at my local GW store who has been building the most incredible conversion heavy 40K Ork army that I’d loved to get action shots of, I mean check out his Stompa AT-AT. Insanity.

Talking of tables... just grabbed a copy of ‘Dreamlands’, a little book collecting Steve Foote’s Inktober sketches of fantastical wargames boards. So good, would be a dream to play on some of these, erm lands?... Only a few copies left I think, grab one for yourself here:

https://www.footeworks.co.uk/dreamlands

2719E22B-9CF7-46EB-8B89-13F3B5783EC0.jpeg

5C2F16E8-1CC4-4D5B-B7EE-0EE20328863B.jpeg

EF211A42-8AFB-487F-A4A7-2BDFEC487C9E.jpeg

5786003C-0679-4B80-8E20-62D65A0ECBE7.jpeg

5ED3428C-9804-4A28-8B4A-C6CE3922FF43.jpeg

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm having a hard time getting hobby time these days, and it's bumming me out. 

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - my kid is 9 now and almost at the age where she can go entirely unsupervised.  And I'm settling into a more managerial position at work which means less overtime/design work which should help. 

But it's just not coming right now.  I can see all my squiggos from my bed but I haven't touched them in a couple weeks.

Sometimes I find that hobby time shouldn't be forced and that you've got to fully put it to one side mentally for a bit to refresh the part of your brain that wants to do it. 

Other times simply sorting out the hobby area can help. I find my motivation goes up when I clean the desk area up so that its neat, tidy. All tools and paints and stuff in their right places; replaced any broken/worn items; lighting checked; models tidied up so that stuff I'm working on isn't all in a heap whilst stuff I'm not yet getitng too is packed away not glaring at me in a heap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I'm having a hard time getting hobby time these days, and it's bumming me out. 

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - my kid is 9 now and almost at the age where she can go entirely unsupervised.  And I'm settling into a more managerial position at work which means less overtime/design work which should help. 

But it's just not coming right now.  I can see all my squiggos from my bed but I haven't touched them in a couple weeks.

Get one model or terrain project that does get you excited and start there. 
And then switch between them. At least that’s what works for me. 
currently I’m Doing stormcast and already I’m excited to get back to ogors. So that helps me through the finishing touches. Which usually is the thing that kills my drive. 

Just now, amysrevenge said:

I *think* my problem is actual lack of time and not lack of motivation, but when I say it out loud, it might be that I'm not feeling motivated to *make* the time.

In that case do the other things. It’s a hobby and if other things are more fun now. Do those 

Not sure if this counts as "hobby chatter," but I won a game for the first time last night and had a great time! My opponent had excellent sportsmanship and we both had lots of fun. It really energized me after feeling a little demoralized about painting my gigantic Leviadon.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1