General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

@michu yeah as I said it wasn't entirely thought through!

I agree I struggle to see how people can not understand narrative games either but I've seen it come up time & time again that people just don't. whether it's something simple like thinking you can't use points with narrative games down to them being games where people pick up models and go "ok on this turn each of the 6 Nagashes I'm fielding can cast 6 magic rhubarbs bombs, zap zap pow. ok lets say 5 of your people have been killed. OK your turn to make something up"

in a way I suspect points are the big thing. because points are introduced in the rules as a matched play thing, it seems like people think you can't or will never use them in any other style of play, and because the idea of playing without points is so anathema to many they instantly disregard it or just go straight to the most ridiculous scenarios "so what I can just field 30 Archaons against my opponents goblins? HERP DERP this makes no sense".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, michu said:

@Beastmaster I think in the Narrative and Open Play section here

https://www.tga.community/forums/forum/4-narrative-and-open-play/

this is actually one of my, very, minor beefs with this forum that narrative play is silo'ed off to a dusty sub-forum, whilst the main & busiest 'Age of Sigmar Discussions' forum then becomes by default the 'matched play/competitive game' home. I know I should pay a lot more attention to that section but when you're just dipping in and out (even if it feels like I'm here too much already) it's easy to just go where the action is and that creates a, perhaps, false sense of the importance of each mode of play.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

In my experience once users have been on a forum for a week or so they tend to start defaulting to "new posts" or the "new activity" as its called on this site. So active threads are more important than where they are located. Location tends to be more of an issue in sections where the threads themselves don't generate much posting activity to get bumped up the new activity list. 

So if a subsection doesn't generate much chatter it sort of self perpetuates the issue. Which means if there's even just two or three people who want more activity in a section all they need to do is talk in a couple of threads in that section (typically in a positive and engaging manner) 

• Like 1

For wargaming in general, I think narrative sections will always be in the shadow of the "official" way of doing things (unless it's historicals). Your average creative player/collector will often be found in his man-cave, garage or small gaming group, paying little attention to online toy soldier opinions as the topics discussed will rarely add value. On the contrary, I think it is quite obvious that people interested in crunching numbers and netlisting will want to engage in endless discussions over the internet, as it offers a way wider public and disparity of opinions, enriching their interest. 

This probably makes narrative/open/testing/indie games/etc...  invisible by default. Not necessarily because it's better or worse, but rather the people behind it are less prone to voice and share their way of hobbying, or sometimes lack the tools. On the contrary, a mastodontic corporation will make sure every corner of the internet knows what they are doing. Visibility is key. Happens on this forum and every other too. This also has a consequence that I'm not a big fan of, such a creating a tunnel vision that will make some perceive one way to play more popular/better based on a completely insufficient metrics (ex: number of posts on a forum), contributing to the false split between "narrative vs match play" and that sort of nonsense (as if you had to choose, right? 9_9 ).

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Since some of you in this thread seem pretty experienced when it comes to custom terrain, I was wondering if you could give me some help/advice. I bought a bunch of balsa wood (plus some similar stuff for platforms that is a little more sturdy). I plan to build a fort for my goblins inspired by some of the stuff in the old skirmish book from the 90s I think.

I watched a couple videos about working with balsa wood but I'm still kinda lost. What tools should I use? Does the wood need sealed/treated with anything? Any other tips?  Thanks in advance.

Besides the tips already given, I wouldn't say balsa require any particularly treatment. PVA glue should work fine (it's referred to as wood glue for a reason :)). For cutting, if it's not too thick, the average cutter should work. A saw otherwise. For painting, buying cheap acrylic paints/spray cans at a craft store is the best option, as large sections will be covered. Then, spraying varnish to protect is fine. Pretty much the same process as miniatures.

I would also recommend practicing craft skills if you don't have much practice. For example, a full fort is very ambitious. So maybe starting with a totem or some barricades is a good start to have a feeling of how things work. The first terrain I built as a kid was a big abandoned fortress, and it was terrible! I had no skills. 

Another youtube channel I love and has awesome content is "Lukes Aps". Videos are quite straight to the point which is most welcome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

In my experience once users have been on a forum for a week or so they tend to start defaulting to "new posts" or the "new activity" as its called on this site. So active threads are more important than where they are located. Location tends to be more of an issue in sections where the threads themselves don't generate much posting activity to get bumped up the new activity list. 

So if a subsection doesn't generate much chatter it sort of self perpetuates the issue. Which means if there's even just two or three people who want more activity in a section all they need to do is talk in a couple of threads in that section (typically in a positive and engaging manner) 

Well if a couple of you are interested, I’m down to commit to posting regularly on the narrative subforum. Let’s make it happen :D

• Like 2

Always keen to see what people are doing with narrative games. Its great for inspiration if nothing else! Competitive players may love to share optimised lists, but we share actual ideas!

In unrelated news, I'm slightly concerned that I may have deve loped a goblin addiction. It started innocuously enough with a unit of Shooters, and a  unit of stabbas, then I figured that I'd need a few more in order to field all of my fanatics. I figured I must be able to get some older skull pass goblins fairly cheaply, and I was right! But now my goblins didn't line up into nice neat blocks of twenty any more, and I'd started trying to track down some of the older 90's models as well.

I've just bought another box, with the intention of building a few of each type to fill in the holes in my units and make a nice round number, and have spent the past hour or so sliding empty bases around to figure out how many of each sort I need to make. Its largely been successful, but I would still be left with a few "spare" including some standard bearers.

At this point the little demon-goblin on my shoulder starts saying: "If you had fifty more goblin archers, then you'd have two more units of shootas!"

The little angel-goblin replies "don't be ridiculous, thats already more than a thousand points worth of troops, you are literally never going to play a game of warhammer large enough to need to field all of them!"

The demon-goblin yells "Challenge accepted!", and while the angel-goblin is trying to explain that actually its someone else who would need to accept a challenge to a 5000 point game or something silly I'm still sliding bases around, and I guess I'm getting fifty more archers for some reason.

Send help?

IMG_9257.JPG

Edit: Nabbed 30 warhammer quest archers off ebay for a tenner!  I'm doomed...

They're a bit monopose, but a few in each unit and it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I love the skull pass goblins so much, they are so easy to find for as old as they are and I personally like them better then the new ones. Their faces just don't seem as vicious as the current models. 

Yeah, they are great! For single piece models that just slot into their bases they have so much character, and variety. I also love that the warboss has a little squig, and the shaman has a puppet on his staff, its those sorts of little characterful details that are really the point when it comes to goblin armies.

@EccentricCircle that’s so cool. I think goblins are the only faction where I like all the models, no matter the era. For a generic fantasy creature, warhammer goblins actually have always had a strong and consistent identity.

On other news, this whole discussion inspired me to start a thread in the hopes of reviving (reforging?) the narrative / open subforum. Let’s make ourselves heard! After all we’re supposed to be the talkative ones!

@JPjr @VBS I’m counting on you ;) (and everyone else of course, this is not some old boys’ club...)

• Like 2

Had the house to myself this weekend, and thought I better crash through as much as possible so I can somehow justify the Feast of Bones box arriving tomorrow (hopefully) and maybe a SC Chaos Warriors set for Christmas and some Warcry monsters and...

Anyway finally finished the scenery from the Warcry & Kill Team stater sets and a bonus stormvault base I bought! This is what is known as a major achievement here in procrastiland.

That means I’ve just got all the Warcry starter set troops, the Ravaged Lands Shatteted Stormvault set, an extra Warcry bell tower, a Bone Tithe Nexus, an entire Sector Imperialis Basilicanum, the Rogue Trader KT box, all the original KT Ad Mech Units, some Soul Wars nighthaunt, some Myrmourn Banshees, Arkhan the Black, Lady Olynder, the entire Loon Curse box, the Blackstone Fortress models, a Mangler Squig, 20 more various Squigs, some Gryph Hounds, a Chaos Noise Marine, Haarkan Worldclaimer, Inquisitor Severina Raine, several Nightvault Warbands, Forbidden Power spells & Engine, Nightvault Arcane Hazards, some Azyrite Ruins, a Dreaded Ambull and the Shattered Dominion Objectives to go! 

Should have that all done in the next day or so... 🤔🤔🤔 

D4A9B94E-0C0C-4B73-8371-4C62BF0B0C5C.jpeg

F2C26D95-81D1-4487-A1ED-92FD38077318.jpeg

0C22BD2C-43AE-4159-8F3B-7BBC1B9EA4A1.jpeg

24E1AD15-B1A8-4961-B745-A5DD7B93CED0.jpeg

CEF53148-6B71-4BDD-B089-F2FD13842EBC.jpeg

E4DFEF83-2F8F-41B3-9B55-6BADBBC77E18.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Really impressive and must feel great to get a huge bunch of terrain like that build and painted up and ready to go! 

I've also managed to totally scupper my plans for "owning less boxes of unbuilt stuff". See I figured if I sold a load of boxes then I'd own less unbuilt stuff. Makes sense right. Of course it doesn't help when you sell stuff and then replace it with MORE boxes of unbuilt stuff. 

Right now I've got:

1 Arch-Kavalos Zandtos
1 Soulmason
2 Vokmortian (will either sell the spare or sacrifice him to painting experimentation)
1 Boneshaper
1 Soulreaper
40 Mortek Guard (I'll probably go for 2 units of 20 with swords)
3 Stalkers 
3 Guard
10 Deathriders (probably spears)
8 Morghast (no idea yet, though in theory I could make one unit of 2 of each configuration)
2 Gothizzar Harvester
1 Mortek Crawler
3 Endless Spells
1 Bonetithe Nexus

And a new hope that I can finish all of them barring the crawler before Christmas (since the Crawler is going to be one of those things that will have to be painted in stages)

• Like 1

Not sure if I mentioned my plans earlier in this thread but here's the basics.

1) They released a Gotrek model.

2) I can't not build a force that let's you play Gotrek on the table

3) They released a great sandbox of a Battletome that let's you create a City in the Mortal Realms

4) I have been wargaming for 24 years and have a mountain of kits from different game systems and Kickstarters.

So I've got the basics figured out where my City will be a population of Dispossessed who through their dealings with the Kharadron have autonomous mechanical golems and a Druidic caste of Aelves who reluctantly turned to skinshifting to survive the Age of Chaos (I might have a ton of Warmachine and Hordes kits laying around ;) )

So here is my first test build. This is my Hurricanum (I am thinking of getting those cool 3D nameplates made to make things clear in game.)

IMG_20191104_175014.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

FYI people, tangentially related to GW there's under two hours left on this Kickstarter for a new range of Fighting Fantasy minis...

Those of us of, let's say, a certain age might not want to miss out on grabbing a Blood Beast, Shapechanger, Lizard King or the like...

On 11/6/2019 at 10:38 AM, JPjr said:

FYI people, tangentially related to GW there's under two hours left on this Kickstarter for a new range of Fighting Fantasy minis...

Those of us of, let's say, a certain age might not want to miss out on grabbing a Blood Beast, Shapechanger, Lizard King or the like...

I’m of a certain age and have fond memories of getting through Khare city port of traps on another fruitless quest to reclaim the crown of command! Or hours lost wandering around the damn labyrinth in firetop mountain.

so fond in fact that I bought a load second hand to give to my son, that will teach him...

Edited by Praecautus
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1