General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

1 hour ago, chord said:

Where in the core rules does it say which way to denote wounds?

It's just right in the Wounds section.  You allocate Wounds to a target model.  Once the Wounds taken equals the model's Wounds trait, it dies.   There's no subtracting - it's always adding up a total.

This is an important distinction for Ironjawz - especially the Maw Crusha and his ability to increase his Wounds total.  It doesn't actually HEAL him, exactly.  It just let's him take more wounds before dying - basically making his last wounds bracket longer.  A fact that becomes confusing if you follow the "counting down" method.

Pretty sure there was some FAQ follow up on this as well, but I'd have to look that up.

Edited by mikethefish

1 hour ago, mikethefish said:

It's just right in the Wounds section.  You allocate Wounds to a target model.  Once the Wounds taken equals the model's Wounds trait, it dies.   There's no subtracting - it's always adding up a total.

This is an important distinction for Ironjawz - especially the Maw Crusha and his ability to increase his Wounds total.  It doesn't actually HEAL him, exactly.  It just let's him take more wounds before dying - basically making his last wounds bracket longer.  A fact that becomes confusing if you follow the "counting down" method.

Pretty sure there was some FAQ follow up on this as well, but I'd have to look that up.

Ah, its not explicitly saying count up, but implies it.  

35 minutes ago, chord said:

Ah, its not explicitly saying count up, but implies it.  

That and the fact that some game abilities don't work in a count down environment.

EDIT - Understand that this is not some weird logic leap I am making here - this is how it's done.  It's been ruled that way lots of times at competitive events.  Pretty sure Vince was just talking about this on his Warclans review show.

Edited by mikethefish

4 hours ago, mikethefish said:

That and the fact that some game abilities don't work in a count down environment.

EDIT - Understand that this is not some weird logic leap I am making here - this is how it's done.  It's been ruled that way lots of times at competitive events.  Pretty sure Vince was just talking about this on his Warclans review show.

I don't see how those abilities don't work.  They still work 

Don't care about tournaments and have no idea who Vince is.  

It's not a big deal about counting up/down.  But good to know the rule implies it.  They should just state it if that's how they want it done. 

24 minutes ago, chord said:

Don't care about tournaments and have no idea who Vince is.  

It's not a big deal about counting up/down.  But good to know the rule implies it.  They should just state it if that's how they want it done. 

Well I don't particularly go to them either, but the thing about tournaments are that if you want to know how a particular rule really works, look to the tournament scene.  They HAVE to know how the rules work, since the stakes are a bit higher than your average game at the local shop.

• Like 1

I recently got rid of most of my AoS stuff. My family is moving to a smaller abode and I decided that, as I don't really play much, I didn't need to bring it. I brought a few models for Nostalgia's sake, specifically a unit of Glade Guard, a Waywatcher, and what passed for a single tree-kin (A Mage-Knight-Dungeons model on a Warhammer base). The good thing is that this all leaves me to start anew and choose a fresh army to go with.

18 hours ago, chord said:

Some of them only sort of work.  Consider a Maw-krusha.  It's got a little dice next to it with a 7 showing, and you've been counting down and not up.  What entry on the Damage table should you be looking at?  Well, on the warscroll it has 15 wounds, so you have taken 8, which means the 7-10 table.  But wait, it's had 3 glorious wounds added to it from its command ability, so it actually has 18 wounds, so that 7 means it has actually taken 11 wounds, so you have to look at the 11-13 table.

If you've been counting up instead of down, it will have an 11 on the dice next to it, and you look on the 11-13 table.  It just doesn't die until the dice gets to 18.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Some of them only sort of work.  Consider a Maw-krusha.  It's got a little dice next to it with a 7 showing, and you've been counting down and not up.  What entry on the Damage table should you be looking at?  Well, on the warscroll it has 15 wounds, so you have taken 8, which means the 7-10 table.  But wait, it's had 3 glorious wounds added to it from its command ability, so it actually has 18 wounds, so that 7 means it has actually taken 11 wounds, so you have to look at the 11-13 table.

If you've been counting up instead of down, it will have an 11 on the dice next to it, and you look on the 11-13 table.  It just doesn't die until the dice gets to 18.

Why wouldn't you just adjust the wound marker,  to represent it has more wounds to go till it does.  

In an example the die shows 7 wounds till it dies (since it had 15 and took 8 damage).  Then it gets 3 glorious  wounds bringing the total up to 18.  Well since it took 8 damage then the die showing 7 would get adjusted to show 10, meaning it has 10 wounds left.   People I've played against who count down and have run Iron Jawz do exactly that, adjust the wounds remaining die, since the wounds remaining has changed. 

32 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

Anyone have any tips for magnetizing a Chaos chariot/gorebeast chariot? Never magnetized before, this generally looks like one of the easier ones to magnetize since the steed is the main difference and that's its own unit, but how would you switch them in and out of the base? 

If you want to swap animals then the best bet is to get a second base, and base the two sets of animal s separately. Then you just build the chariot to swap between the two bases. If you want the riders to change too then obviously magnetise their feet to the chariot.

11 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

If you want to swap animals then the best bet is to get a second base, and base the two sets of animal s separately. Then you just build the chariot to swap between the two bases. If you want the riders to change too then obviously magnetise their feet to the chariot.

Ahhhh so does the chariot itself not get glued to the base? Like does it get magnetized you the base instead?

1 minute ago, smartazjb0y said:

Ahhhh so does the chariot itself not get glued to the base? Like does it get magnetized you the base instead?

Precisely. The animals are glued to the base, then the chariot is magnetised as a separate piece that can swap between the two bases. How will vary, but possibly magnets in the yoke and harnesses.

• Like 1

Our area just got a Warhammer store about a month ago, and now I'm the guy who sells people on Age of Sigmar because I collect the models, visit here, and know just about how the game is played. I've spent two of the last three weeks teaching games (We skip most of.

Best part is we've jumped from (as far as I knew) just myself two months ago, to four players three weeks ago, to roughly 10-12 players because two new people walked in and everyone else went and bought an army for their kid/SO.

• Like 1

Did you like 40 facts about AoS in October WD? Phil Kelly has more on his twitter - https://twitter.com/philkellywords.

The best for me is that one 

The Kharadron Code says to ‘make use of all the gold in the sky’ - referring to aethergold. Under Chaos attack, Cptn Hrolf Alespitter ‘interpreted’ it to make alliance with a nearby force of winged Stormcast, who were a) gold and b) in the sky. The alliance still stands

• Like 3

Well I've almost worked out tomorrows shopping list:

Feast of Bones
Ossiarchs Battletome
Ossiarchs Endless Spells
Print on Demand Inferno - all (this is making a serious dent in my Ossiarch budget)
Blood Angels Red contrast 
Iyridian Yellow contrast
Small Layer Brush 

That's all my must-gets for the day. After that I'm tempted to pass on the terrain feature for now (even though it is utterly awesome looking) and perhaps pick up the second audio novel for Gotrek. 

7 hours ago, michu said:

Is it something close to "The code is more like... guidelines"? 

I put it more akin to how laws are treated in Louisiana:

- I can't scalp tickets. I can however sell you a cheap dollar store pen for an exorbitant dollar amount, with the side deal of throwing in tickets for a game you may/may not want to go see, for free.

- If I sell you a Hurricane (alcoholic beverage) in a cup, you can't drive around with it because that's a beverage in an open container. If there's a lid on the cup, it's a closed container and you can and it's legal. If it has a straw in it, it's an open container and illegal. If the straw still has the wrapping over the top, it's a closed container and legal. And we all know you can't remove either the straw wrapper or lid and partake in the contents of your beverage and replace them, so there's nothing to see here.

Yes, we have this book of laws, but we have plenty of ways of doing what we want without "violating" the law.

Blast from the past - a somewhat indulgent post, feel free to skip it. :) 

Hi guys - not much news on the painting front, but I was up in my parents attic a week or two ago, and I stumbled upon my first ever miniatures. :)

First, a prelude. In 1990, Tiny-GuitaRasmus (then 8 years of age) was rumbling through the kids section of my local library (my parents were always good at dragging me along, giving me a lifelong passion of books) and I stumbled upon a small book called (in danish) "Figurer til Rollespil; sådan maler du dem" (Miniatures for Roleplaying; how to paint them):

s-l200.jpg

(Fun fact; back then there were actually serious newspaper articles being written about roleplaying and Dungeons and Dragons leading young people to devil-worshipping! :D )

Tiny-GuitaRasmus was immediately blown away by the pictures of the tiny monsters, orcs, warriors and other miniatures, and took it home. I remember poring over the pictures again and again, and being completely enamoured with these small worlds you could build. My dad, who was (and still is) an avid model train enthusiast, quickly seized the opportunity to get his son interested in model building, and took me to a giant (at least it was to me back then) model kit shop in Copenhagen, where they had racks upon racks of miniature blisters. 

I spent a long time trying to choose the coolest miniatures in the shop, and eventually decided upon a a pack of (then unbeknownst to me, they were just cool) Grenadier Fantasy Lords Dragon Men: (picture from ebay)

s-l1600.jpg

I remember going home and getting straight to work - ripping the miniatures out of the box, being completely oblivious of the concept of mold lines, and choosing a few of my dads Humbrol Enamel paints (when we wasn't walking to school in the snow, that's what we used back then! And we liked it! ;) ) and got to work: 

dragonman1.jpg

Please note the exquisite sense of colours - the bright vivid green, the beautiful shading made with a fine point sharpie, and the orange used on the inside of the tail - clearly didn't have the patience to let the green dry first. ;) Also the decision to use brown on everything that isn't green or armour - horns, bow, arrow, quiver, belt, weapon handle - you name it. I didn't have a concept of undercoat either, so the paint is just applied (one thick coat of course!) in enough amounts to cover the metal. For a finishing touch, you can spot the remains of the classic modelling flock (which I think was coloured dried, cut up grass bits) on the base. 

Oh well, we all have to start somewhere. :D

Some months later I got hold of some actual Citadel acrylic paints, and decided to repaint one of the models (an 8 or 9 year old isn't the most nostalgic of creatures), just painting over the existing paint job, making the coat even thicker, and not really making any significant improvement: 

dragonman2.jpg

At least I used a proper metal colour for the armour, some red for the eyes, and, apparently, some weird decision to highlight the wings using a darker green? I believe the green is the legendary Goblin Green paint.

I think it's safe to say that these models started it all for me; I LOVED it from the moment I started slapping paint on. I used to play with these for hours, and spent countless hours making my own games with them. I think it was during the autumn I got them and for Christmas my parents gave my HeroQuest - which took this from the start of a hobby to an outright obsession. I loved that game - the miniatures, the furniture, the board - everything. I spent so much time painting those models, and trying to make them look just like the painted models on the side of the box - of course, failing miserably, but making progress in the process. From then on I think I wished for some miniatures for every birthday and Christmas for many years, aside from the many times my parents to me to a model store to get some (they could see I was really enjoying it) and I used to sit for hours in my room, trying to make the small monsters come to life with paint and brush. I even remember getting Space Hulk (1.st ed) for Christmas the year after, and realising the rules were in english, I sat down with my dads Oxford English to Danish Dictionary, and basically taught myself english to be able to play. :DI went on to getting into a gaming club, and immersed myself completely in the universe of Warhammer, both 40k and Fantasy - it really was an all consuming passion.

Flash forward to me starting in high school at 15, discovering that girls were interesting, so was playing music (and the latter could help me with the former!) I put aside the miniatures for many years. When I was 28 or 29 I was working at a youth club, and some of the boys there were getting interested in Warhammer, I was asked if it was something I could help them get into. "Sure, why not", I said, and started searching the web for ideas and miniatures - I was blown away at how far the hobby had come in the 15 years I had been away from it - plastic miniatures had gotten soooo good, the models were better than ever, there was plastic terrain (we used to build everything ourselves from polystyrene sheets, cardboard, etc), the paint range was a lot better and the washed made painting miniatures much easier - and there was a huge amount of background material (books, audiobooks, and so on) to dig into - well, like an old drug addict, I relapsed big time. I started buying a few miniatures here and there (you know, just professional interest!) and enjoyed painting and especially converting them so much, that I joined a local gaming club, where I met lots of cool likeminded adults, and evolved a lot painting and conversion wise.

Flash forward 9 years to today; the arrival of my son this summer has meant that there isn't nearly the same hobby time as there used to be (not that I would trade parenthood for the world), but I still love the hobby just the same, if not even more, as when I was a kid. I would love for my son to get into the hobby himself - but really, I think the lesson to take from my parents example is that if you see a spark of interest or passion in your kids, no matter what it is - you take it and run with it.

So, thanks mom and dad, for indulging me in my weird interest back then - it meant the world to "Tiny GuitaRasmus". :)

PS: I love to hear some stories about how you guys got started.

Edited by GuitaRasmus
  • Like 8

Not a story on how I got started (yeah, that's not too interesting :P ) but I recently got back into building terrain. I made a 24"x24" table which is perfect for skirmish and warband games. Mostly just different types of flocking and some tufts for a nice grass field-like table. Also made some jungle-themed terrain after dusting off the magnificent Lustria supplement. Overall, I think it looks half decent :)

image.png.5ab94228a7e25b9e5888a54d6347ef13.png

While building the table, it got me thinking how DIY attitude is no longer promoted, as the terrain and gaming mats industry exploded in the last years. I thought it was cool to have tips on how to make your terrain unique. The 1996 "How To Make Wargames Terrain" book is a goldmine (back in the days at least), and the kind of thing I'd love to see done again. I know that GW sells every hobby necessity from A to Z and so will never tell you to make a landspeeder with a deodorant anymore :D, but the organic feel of playing on a table careful built and customized is fantastic, while gaming mats and plastic terrain always has that sterile feeling, especially when a store or club have all tables looking so similar. Maybe a simple reflection of a hyperconsuming/instant gratification society? Longbeard grumble grumble!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Actually the DIY attitude for terrain creation is arguably bigger now than it was in the past, largely due to the advent of 3D printers.  More and more players are printing off some really cool and unique looking pieces that many would not have had the courage or wherewithal to even attempt a decade ago.  

The DIY attitude is alive and well - it's just changed forms a bit.  This is especially true for Star Wars Legion.  That community had taken to 3D printing their own terrain like no other game community I have ever seen.  Things like wrecked TIE fighters or tipped-over AT-AT's are being printed and file-shared all over the place.  It's pretty encouraging, actually.  Do yourself a favor and check out the Star Wars Legion Terrain Builders Facebook group.  Cool stuff.

Oh and PS - your game board looks pretty boss!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1