General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

I've been once again distracted by a new project in realm of metal themed sons of Behemat. Because I'm not the greatest fan of the regular mancrusher gargant it's been a wonderful excuse to dip into some cool different third party models and get nice sculpts I'd otherwise have no use for in order to create a very eclectic tribe ;) This of course was mostly started by that damn Gargant sale over at Mierce… On the bright side it's not going to be a project that will take too long to complete. I've already got: 2 mega's and 2 mancrushers built and ready with an extra 1 that's WIP. 2 more on the way to me (some lovely Yedharo Models sculpts) and my 6th spot will likely be covered by an ebay rescue I'm winning the bid for. (Will look at getting pics up once more models and bases are built)

Never been this excited for a destruction army ;) 8 models total very much appeals to me for movement phase and unpacking / packing up! Now I have to see if I'll actually get them painted any quicker than the big model projects... (Hopefully once I learn to use our airbrush without clogging it) It's also been pretty great for using up some of my spare chaos/imperial knight bits ;) (hence realm of metal)

Been laughing and freaking out about this for about an hour now it’s  like someone went a bit too wild rolling on the Chaos Champion mutation tables from the old Realm of Chaos books

Ok so I’ve got... Bestial Face, Cloven Hooves, Furry, Hopper, Irrational Hatred, Long Legs, Powerful Legs, Razor Sharp Claws, Strong & Tail... spawndom awaits

Hopefully next time BoK get a battletome we’ll also get Khornegore kangaroos rather than just angry goats

• LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

Been laughing and freaking out about this for about an hour now it’s  like someone went a bit too wild rolling on the Chaos Champion mutation tables from the old Realm of Chaos books

Ok so I’ve got... Bestial Face, Cloven Hooves, Furry, Hopper, Irrational Hatred, Long Legs, Powerful Legs, Razor Sharp Claws, Strong & Tail... spawndom awaits

Hopefully next time BoK get a battletome we’ll also get Khornegore kangaroos rather than just angry goats

Sweet Jesus and this thing is real!!!!  Roo’s are supposed to be adorable but JPjr is right. This has been playing with the mutation tables. 
Awesome! Kind of reminds me of that damion dog 😺

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Artobans Ghost said:

Sweet Jesus and this thing is real!!!!  Roo’s are supposed to be adorable but JPjr is right. This has been playing with the mutation tables. 
Awesome! Kind of reminds me of that damion dog 😺

Kangaroos, random fact incoming, actually flex their muscles to attract mates 😂

All that’s left off my pile of potential. 

E9D45B7F-3507-41C1-9017-47F01A783D24.jpeg.a51bd66fd21e8eb13901e078b6d6bf06.jpeg

everything else is either painted or on its way as well. Nothing build as grey plastic 💪

although I should take out the things I’m never going to paint or are just there for bits I guess. Further reduce the stack. 

anybody else doing an winter cleaning/inventory?  

• Like 3

I really want to throw out my historical minis still on the sprues. And i'm bad at selling stuff (i'm really lazy whit that kind of things).

But i'm good on the warhammer stuff,  nothing i want to get rid of. If anything maybe the untamed beast and iron golem i want to trade now that they are painted, because i don't play with them. Maybe they can be useful if i want to introduce someone to the game , I dont know.

I'm almost done painting the Silver Tower box and only chaotic beasts are left from the Warcry box. I can't wait to finally be able to play a game of Silver Tower, I got the box almost 4 years ago, time flies it's crazy. I've been so lazy with that

• Like 1

I've been doing some sorting out, since I'm just about to move house. Mainly putting assembled work in progress models into proper carry cases, and organising sprues more compactly into fewer large boxes rather than lots of small ones. Now I just need to find a good way to transport larger work in progress models (like things which I'm painting in sub assembly. I usually have them on the desk in trays, but need something more secure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sance said:

I really want to throw out my historical minis still on the sprues. And i'm bad at selling stuff (i'm really lazy whit that kind of things).

But i'm good on the warhammer stuff,  nothing i want to get rid of. If anything maybe the untamed beast and iron golem i want to trade now that they are painted, because i don't play with them. Maybe they can be useful if i want to introduce someone to the game , I dont know.

I'm almost done painting the Silver Tower box and only chaotic beasts are left from the Warcry box. I can't wait to finally be able to play a game of Silver Tower, I got the box almost 4 years ago, time flies it's crazy. I've been so lazy with that

You can easily use your historicals as basing materials, having the same scale isn't as important when they are being crushed underfoot.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

One day after being proud of my diminished pile of opportunity I can home with this 😂

96F17F4A-61D5-4AD4-B577-44F6B05E4879.jpeg.dd5167ef7622e7217487a8bbc2c3f5be.jpeg

I'm so in love with the scions of the flame models from that set. Especially when I learnt one could be built with a flaming flail!! Something that I need to source more of so I can convert a hero with one XD (I love flails)

1 hour ago, Lightbox said:

I'm so in love with the scions of the flame models from that set. Especially when I learnt one could be built with a flaming flail!! Something that I need to source more of so I can convert a hero with one XD (I love flails)

if I decide on the alternative arm I’ll send you the flail. 
dont know which models it is though. First the terrain then the models. 

but I’ve already built one Mulan’s worth of terrain yesterday:

image.jpg.eb06c713b567090df7e2bf059b1be585.jpg

37 minutes ago, Kramer said:

if I decide on the alternative arm I’ll send you the flail. 
dont know which models it is though. First the terrain then the models. 

but I’ve already built one Mulan’s worth of terrain yesterday:

image.jpg.eb06c713b567090df7e2bf059b1be585.jpg

That's a very kind offer.

And woah! Speedy on the terrain! Nice thing with it is it looks quite drybrush friendly, lots of nice raised details. Any clue what sort of colours you might do for it? I've seen cool terrain using incubi darkness as the stone colour instead of the usual grey, though I often go for grey drybrushes myself with stonework on models, it's a good neutral tone.

Edited by Lightbox

5 hours ago, Lightbox said:

That's a very kind offer.

And woah! Speedy on the terrain! Nice thing with it is it looks quite drybrush friendly, lots of nice raised details. Any clue what sort of colours you might do for it? I've seen cool terrain using incubi darkness as the stone colour instead of the usual grey, though I often go for grey drybrushes myself with stonework on models, it's a good neutral tone.

I’m going to do the pillars from a incubi darkness base as well and the outside walls with wraithbone -> Aggoros dune and then a dry brush. Don’t know what yet. Both match the ruined jungle temple colours I used on the basing of my stormcast and Ogors  

Wood will be a mix of three contrast browns and some weathering. 

everything else I’m doing after that to see how and what is needed. So it’s all going to be drybushes and contrast and maybe a few details in regular paint.  

with a bit of luck that allows me to finish the terrain for New Year’s Eve with friends. 

• Like 1

Anybody tips on weathering wood? 
I painted up the first wooden stairs from the Warcry set. just basic contrast wyldwood so far.

im thinking off:

- a lighter brown in all the cracks and damages

- a splotchy wash in several places  

- diluted nurgles rot in places 

- a little drybrush over the centre of the stairs where people are most likely to walk. 

- typhus corrosion on the bottom support beams where they touch ground. 

any suggestions or feedback? 

Sorry i don't know how to paint Woody ...

But i got pretty excited today.

I Built my 3 sneaky snuffers from the warcry box and noticed there was an extra bonus sneaky snuffer sprue !

Yesss ! More squig-piggy for the Moon good !

IMG_20201219_170353.jpg

Edited by Sance
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I finished my thundertusk conversion today, very happy with the final product. 

Im finding ogors an absolute joy to paint and build an army, I've painted 10 models so far which amounts to just under 900 points, so I've been able to really invest time into giving each the best paint job I can. Meanwhile my wife started a tzeentch army at the same time and has painted 40 horrors so far, 4 times the models and technically this units not even finished (10 pinks to go) 

IMG_20201221_033910.jpg

IMG_20201221_034043.jpg

IMG_20201221_034218.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, Kramer said:

Anybody tips on weathering wood? 
I painted up the first wooden stairs from the Warcry set. just basic contrast wyldwood so far.

im thinking off:

- a lighter brown in all the cracks and damages

- a splotchy wash in several places  

- diluted nurgles rot in places 

- a little drybrush over the centre of the stairs where people are most likely to walk. 

- typhus corrosion on the bottom support beams where they touch ground. 

any suggestions or feedback? 

For my Warcry wood, I did dread bark, agrax earthshade, and drybrush gorthor brown on the bark. On the planks, I did steel legion drab, agrax earthshade, drybrush taller sand with some drybrush of ushabti bone to break it up. I liked how it came out. I wanted my terrain to look dry, but you could add blotches of athonian camoshade to give a mossy look. I tried adding blood splatters but I didnt like how it came out.

4 hours ago, LoopyZebra said:

For my Warcry wood, I did dread bark, agrax earthshade, and drybrush gorthor brown on the bark. On the planks, I did steel legion drab, agrax earthshade, drybrush taller sand with some drybrush of ushabti bone to break it up. I liked how it came out. I wanted my terrain to look dry, but you could add blotches of athonian camoshade to give a mossy look. I tried adding blood splatters but I didnt like how it came out.

Picture please 😬

yeah I thought about blood spatters. But right now the wood is all quite dark. So I expect not liking it either. But i did add some colour by deciding that If blood rain are a thing, so some of my trees bleed as well. 

image.jpg.5ad729f0d37fca39f9e5c773dd251d4d.jpg

the weathering starts today 💪

• Like 2

Hey everyone, 

I will confess I am always a little nervous posting in the hobbyist sections as despite it being my favourite part of Warhammer it is also something that I know I am at a fairly entry level (I like what I do, but I am simply blown away by everyone else here).

So this is potentially a random question but I found some preserved moss at my local dollar store and picked it up for some possible flocking material. However, I am not sure if this is decent material for this purpose? I think it is sometimes also referred to as reindeer moss? Has anyone used preserved moss and have any tips?

I will confess I have always sucked at basing and have left it until the very end, but I thought this looked really good to do some small bits of spot flocking. Beyond that I am think of using astrogranite and painting it a dark brown with a lighter brown highlight to look like rough soil with some sparse patches of green. 

Edited by Neverchosen

On 12/14/2020 at 10:14 AM, Kramer said:

All that’s left off my pile of potential. 

E9D45B7F-3507-41C1-9017-47F01A783D24.jpeg.a51bd66fd21e8eb13901e078b6d6bf06.jpeg

everything else is either painted or on its way as well. Nothing build as grey plastic 💪

although I should take out the things I’m never going to paint or are just there for bits I guess. Further reduce the stack. 

anybody else doing an winter cleaning/inventory?  

Didnt know you got warhammer at hema i tthought only worst and saucijzenbroodjes

Edited by ChillTuup
  • Haha 1