General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

That’s cool! How much colour do you think you can give them without losing reflection? Because you need so green tints in the terrain to match the artwork colour palette. 

Probably not much without losing the mirror shine.

I'd be willing to sacrifice the green tint in favor of the mirror effect.  Either that, or they do make those sheets in different colors.  There might be one that matches better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

That sounds amazing. I'd never have considered using actual mirrors in scenery design!

I feel like it'd be pretty easy?  My current thoughts are...

1) make a funky shape out of foam

2) use hot glue to cover the thing in crumpled up tin foil, just to get a cool surface texture

3) prime and drybrush the tin foil-covered surface.  Maybe a greenish gray color?

4) cut out a ton of triangle and rhombus shapes from the mirrored cardstock

5) the shapes have been cut with scissors, so I'll take a black sharpie and darken all the white edges.

6) glue the mirror shards all over the terrain piece.

I am thinking they should look like some sort of funky abstract Tim Burton shape with mirrors.  Might look cool

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, fellow on reddit finished his Kharadrorkz complete with balloon squigs to proxy as Skyriggers.

He gives some pointers in the comments but that's an excellent way for people to get inspired for their own Orruk Scrapfleets and Grotbags to get an early start to the skies. :D

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 1/3/2020 at 1:33 AM, Koradrel of Chrace said:

I have to ask: what is Kingdom Hospital?

2 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Still don't know what Kingdom Hospital is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCYWlvhyLQ

It's a Steven King TV series that sadly only got one full season (which did complete its primary story arc, it just never got to finish continuing the story). It's not so much horror as it is closer to creepy/ghosty. Set in a hospital setting where the veil between life and death is a bit thinner than it should be. 

My diminuative Hallowheart army is growing. Odd to put clothing on something to make it resemble a Sorceress. (For reference, eye level is at about 16-18 mm for all these, Greatswords are at 30 mm).

Next up: building a full sized Celestial Hurricanum so I can make a small one.

IMG-20200115-WA0005.jpeg

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

Ok over the last few months ive accumulated the slaves to darkness battleforce, feast of bones, gloomspite battleforce and aether war. Do i do a whole box at once or a big from each, and in either case where do i start!?

I would pick a faction from all of that. Then pick one kit. Prep build paint and repeat.

I know for me having a million projects leads to nothing getting done. Break it into small manageable pieces.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Overread said:

It's a Steven King TV series that sadly only got one full season (which did complete its primary story arc, it just never got to finish continuing the story). It's not so much horror as it is closer to creepy/ghosty. Set in a hospital setting where the veil between life and death is a bit thinner than it should be. 

It’s actually a remake of the series „Riget“ from Lars von Trier. I only saw the original. Really weird.

8 hours ago, Eldarain said:

I would pick a faction from all of that. Then pick one kit. Prep build paint and repeat.

I know for me having a million projects leads to nothing getting done. Break it into small manageable pieces.

Good advice, I think. 
To keep myself motivated, I broke it into playable chunks: Started with a Mordheim Warband, from there to a 1000 point Vanguard/meeting Engagements army, next is 1500 p Battlehost. 
In that way you don’t have to paint 50 of the same Unit at once 😄

I have had quite a busy hobby start to the year. I have done the following

Introduced my club to Zombicide Invader, and had many fun games with them as well as with my son and his mate

Painted scenery for my club

Started a slow grow Slaves to Nurgle army

Played several games of slow grow and have a 2k game tonight where my new manticore lord gets an outing.

Some pics

38C8337A-CDDE-4467-B0BC-88AEFD7584D1.jpeg

91592071-183C-4104-A62A-D49A3234EF60.jpeg

0CA3A40E-E415-444C-8718-D54FF3D2FCF2.jpeg

E149F851-C8B1-4264-9954-8FD92AE923A5.jpeg

A2CA4983-61C8-40EE-BBDA-93BF51F2BF9B.jpeg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

On a general note, I was building (pinning and glueing) a metal model for a friend last night, and I am never touching metal models again. They are a pain and a half to make.

Also, plastic glue does not work on finecast, should have known, but still.

Yeah, you need to be very careful what glue you pick for what material. For Finecast there is really no substitute to Superglue, assisted with a little blob of greenstuff. The superglue sets first, and holds everything in place which the greenstuff cures. It can be very tricky to get right and I hate it, but with some practice it acheives good results.

For small scale metal models it is pretty much the best option too, although it is a lot more fiddly and you really have to clean the model well before hand to make sure you get rid of any oils etc.

For large scale metal models, I really think that fast setting Araldite or a similar two part Epoxy is the best solution. Get one which sets in five minutes, so that you can hold everything in place while it cures, otherwise it can be tricky to pin and clamp everything in such a way that it will hold together overnight. Warhammer models are not designed with clamps in mind!

My biggest revolution with metal was scoring the joint areas (both surfaces) with a blade in a cross hatch pattern. Before that it was always a battle of holding bits together for AGES for the glue to get tacky enough to hold it on its own. After learning to score joints that time holding went down dramatically. 

It even now is at a point where I don't even use the greenstuff trick with metal joins when I assemble metal models.

The Greenstuff trick is that when exposed to superglue, greenstuff sets really fast. So you put a tiny slither in the join area, a REALLY tiny bit. The glue fuses to both sides and to the metal and forms a bond good enough to hold the parts together whilst the metal on metal bits glue up. The greenstuff has to be tiny though as if it covers out over the whole join area its then a weakpoint as whilst the glue holds it tight to the metal, the greenstuff holding to itself is a weaker bond. 

I don’t know why, and maybe it’s just Warmahordes and Guild Ball models (I haven’t done a GW metal model in forever) but from my experience, I found that washing the pieces in soap and water increased the ability to glue from 0% to 99% (there were still some joints that never glued). Think it has something to do with the mold process.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:23 AM, Overread said:

Is it anything like any of the other Steven King TV series? IT was okay (the end of that book was weird anyway), but I’ve heard bad things about the rest.

I don’t know why, and maybe it’s just Warmahordes and Guild Ball models (I haven’t done a GW metal model in forever) but from my experience, I found that washing the pieces in soap and water increased the ability to glue from 0% to 99% (there were still some joints that never glued). Think it has something to do with the mold process.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:23 AM, Overread said:

Is it anything like any of the other Steven King TV series? IT was okay (the end of that book was weird anyway), but I’ve heard bad things about the rest.