General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

22 hours ago, DatHomieSilverSurfer said:

congrats! I've got a moderate 2500pt + skaven force but still haven't picked up the Verminlord. The idea of putting him together is so daunting! May the blessing of the Great Horned Rat be with you in you endeavor

I've done both the Corruptor and the warbringer and both were fairly easy to build :) Painting the mane can be a bit annoying tho, depending on the level of quality you're going for.

10 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Great stuff, but I wouldn't add much more terrain of any kind.  This game isn't Necromunda - it's not designed to have a board choked with terrain.  Aside from the bridges you mentioned, you are already running pretty terrain heavy as-is.

It's way sparser than you'd think!  The current layout lets certain warbands pretty much keep on the floor for the whole game, and I'd prefer people actually move onto things because they have to, and not just because it looks cool.

Skittles project first Step:

The prerrogative is : easy, quick and colorfull models.  Simple black primer, gray drybrush, Random skin color with a wash, random spear tip. Brown wash over silver for the shields.

Will glue aquarium colored pebbles on the bases to look like crystals. The Squigs will also have random colors but with highlights and such. So far i am pleased with the test models.

20190811_193533.jpg.8005a8040f2777c2d83884e9b4a3ee22.jpg

• Like 2

I have washed a bit too much, and the models no longer really pop, what's the best way to remove the washes? I think Dettol works to remove that first, but maybe that's not the best way.

By the way, the Knight Incantor from the "start to play" set is easy to convert to a skewered Stormcast, and the Chaos familiar with the clawed left hand is easily changed to a diminuative Demigryph knight fit for the Silver Tower gryph hound ( file down in the middle, put miniature shield from demis on left hand, and that's it).

Edited by zilberfrid

10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I have washed a bit too much, and the models no longer really pop, what's the best way to remove the washes? I think Dettol works to remove that first, but maybe that's not the best way

Brown Dettol won't just wash the model, its used to strip the paint so it will take it back to the plastic/metal (in practice sometimes a bit of the undercoat will remain but in general all the layers of paint on top will come off). 

The best way if you don't want/need to fully strip the model is simply to go back in and apply highlights again to the raised surfaces. That might well give it back the pop you're after. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I’m now so intrigued as to how this happened. 

9 hours ago, Eldarain said:

A dramatic retelling is in order for sure.

4 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

4802CCCA-99B5-4E26-BD7D-5D526D60D2EE.gif.cbb8d73bc6316272ceb0f751f9d6f3c2.gif

Suffice to say, I organize a group order every few months of miniatures for a few friends. 

One of those friends has a large amount high elves. He knows I want to paint high elves because of our group Facebook message stream. 

He knows I don't have a hell of a lot of hobby money. He decided to work with me on a payback method that doesn't take a lot of such money, and leans more on trading what little I have to trade.

He's sending them prior to payment because he trusts me because I run the group order

So finally got to make a start on my new force, an empire who worship a snake god that I've been planning for while. I just need new paints now then I'll make a start on a blog if anyone would like to see progress. I hope to put all the lore there as I've really loved planning this force, the diversity and freedom the Mortal Realms provide is what really pulls me to AoS. Not much for now but the initial group i need to put the plan into motion 🙂 love me some snakey bois.

IMG_20190812_212443_584.jpg

IMG_20190812_212443_585.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 3

• 2 weeks later...

Those stormcast conversions are amazing @Eldarain what are you going to use them as?

Finally got my hands on a paintbrush again and got to try the Contrast paints for the first time. I really really like them, especially for metallic effects.

Just finished the armour for one snake boi, not much but I guess it's a start, not sure whether to have gone for a lighter colour though 😕

IMG_20190821_201140_125.jpg

• Like 1

A bit of progress on my Screaming Oak conversion (Nurgle Corrupted Treelord): 

SO7.jpg

SO8.jpg

I'm also experimenting with basing material for my terrain - after having tried various ways to stop MDF from warping, I stumbled across The Terrain Tutor trying out PVC Foam Board, and decided to try it out. I haven't gotten to gluing sand and stones onto it, but theoretically it shouldn't warp, since it is non absorbent, and I am pretty impressed with the weight, strength and workability so far: 

terrainwip.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 8/22/2019 at 7:26 AM, GuitaRasmus said:

I'm also experimenting with basing material for my terrain - after having tried various ways to stop MDF from warping, I stumbled across The Terrain Tutor trying out PVC Foam Board, and decided to try it out. I haven't gotten to gluing sand and stones onto it, but theoretically it shouldn't warp, since it is non absorbent, and I am pretty impressed with the weight, strength and workability so far: 

terrainwip.jpg

I want to do something similar to this for my Overlord Bastion. What did you use as a platform to get your watchtower perfectly straight like that? I assume you have something underneath the cork bark? (This looks awesome!)

Edited by Greyshadow

23 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

I want to do something similar to this for my Overlord Bastion. What did you use as a platform to get your watchtower perfectly straight like that? I assume you have something underneath the cork bark? (This looks awesome!)

Thanks! I just hot glued a block of xps foam to the base, and hot glued the tower on top of that - then hot glued the pieces of cork bark to the block and base, and filled some gaps with filler and rocks/gravel. 

23 hours ago, Greyshadow said:

Thanks! I just hot glued a block of xps foam to the base, and hot glued the tower on top of that - then hot glued the pieces of cork bark to the block and base, and filled some gaps with filler and rocks/gravel. 

I just assembled a set of Cypher Lords for warcry, and I'm a little nervous about painting them since some of their arms and weapons flex really easily. Will GW paint/varnish crack and flake off if one of their spears catches on some scenery and bends a little? Are there any special steps y'all take to protect your extra-spindly figures?