General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

2 hours ago, michu said:

It could be? But it's rather about people comparing their painting to the Golden Demon winners and thinking they are not good enough (I'm gulity of that too).

There are three "vices":

Stripping paint over and over again because you don't like the paintjob.

Comparing yourself to people that are more skilled than you.

Starting a build and never even finishing the plastic.

That's my take on them, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Realmslayer book arrived!

Nice hardback with a light gilt edge to the pages. There's a short intro, then there's the body of the book which is the transcript for the audiobook. Within that there are two sections of pictures which are really well printed and presented - nice middle of the page, glossy vibrant artwork from all the covers of Gotrek and Felix novels. Heck they remind me why I'm annoyed GW still hasn't given us (witch) aelves riding on sea serpents!
At the end is an interesting bit of the transcript with notations on it from the writers. Including details of bits that were cut or changed such as the intro being shortened by 15 minutes and removing the setup for the Fyreslayers being on the walkway when they meet Gotrek at the very start (honestly perhaps something that should have been there).

What do you people do with armies you fully painted and finished, but dont enjoy playing? (Or like in my case the original planned army wasnt competitive enough and shifted into something unenjoyable)

I loved IDK previews. Loved lothan, namarti,  soulrender, aspect and volturos and the playstyle they promote on paper, but boy was I dissappointed with the actual output on the table haha.

The reason I cant play the aspect is due to fragility. His spear already broke off 5 times during games XD.

I have a personal rule of thumb that I only play what I painted, so kind of feel stuck with the army now having invested so much painting time into it.

Edited by Kugane

@Kugane if I were you I'd put the army into either a nice  display case that keeps the dust off and lets you see them; or into a carry case so that its protected. Either way I'd store rather than dump them. Provided that you are not financially (or through other pressures) forced to sell them, I'd hang onto them. Who knows a second wave of models; an adjustment in a Generals Handbook or just some time away from them could all result in you getting the bug to play them again and seeing them appear far more viable on the tabletop as well.

Also consider playing them in other types of game - Warcry or Meeting Engagements - ergo games where the meta shifts a bit. 

In general selling off an army is a big choice if they are built and painted and any army you sell off will ALWAYS cost more to replace later if you get the itch for them. Heck I've hardly touched my Tyranids in ages but I've kept them and steadily work on them now and then because every so often I do get the desire to break them out. Had I sold them off in every dead period I'd have wasted loads more money just buying them back (plus then there's a huge building and painting lagtime which can kill the motivation to play them again - esp if you want to jump into a 2K game or such) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Eldarain said:

The Lichemaster's return to the Mortal Realms has begun. The first of his Warbands for an upcoming Narrative Campaign is finished.

IMG_20190916_183554~2.jpg

I think it irritates him when people recognize him and say "Look, it's  the Necromancer with a Hat!!" "I have a name for Nagash's sake!!". :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moldek said:

beautiful warband and terrain! Will you be using warcry, skirmish rules or some homebrew system?

It will be a Warcry campaign. It should be a lot of fun. There are no prizes for winning. It's just gonna be about painting and the story. I'm making three warbands loyal to the Lichemaster for it. 1 Legions, 1 Flesh Eater and a converted Vampiric Hunting party (SCE)

Thanks for the kind words. That's my home table.

• Like 2

How would you guys go about creating your own race? 

I had a throw away idea i could use help on.

gorkamorka stumbling across slaanesh's prison during one of his mindless rampages. Not really understanding the enormity of what he's come across and unable to let an opportunity to humble a fellow God go past he smashes his mighty fist into the God of excess stomach, causing a violent expulsion of soul matter. 

Briefly amused by these pathetic mewlling creatures he would unintentionally help shape them by his brutal will. However as is his want this amusement wouldn't last long and they would be cast into the mortal realms to fend for themselves. 

Prized for their strength and sharp intellect the fractured people would be pressed into slavery by the races of the mortal realms or hunted down by others as an abomination that shouldn't be. 

years of suffering at the hands of others  would help shape them into a hardy people with a strong identity and hatred for all others outside of their own. Even the Gods wouldn't be spared their ire. 

The exodus of these people wouldn't happen in a flood but rather a trickle. Chain gangs breaking free of their masters whip, gladiators revolting from the fighting pits, miners turning pick and hammer on slave drivers. 

Drawn together the people's would form into wandering nomadic groups across the mortal realms. Using their freedom to explore the worlds denied to them and hurt thoughs that had hurt them. 

This is pretty much as far as I've gotten outside if how I imagine them looking. Even if I did get the chance to start the project and see if I could mould these guys to the table top I dont even know where I'd start or how I would represent them on the table top. 

Lol please dont gut me for this.

4 minutes ago, sigmar is scottish said:

How would you guys go about creating your own race? 

I had a throw away idea i could use help on.

gorkamorka stumbling across slaanesh's prison during one of his mindless rampages. Not really understanding the enormity of what he's come across and unable to let an opportunity to humble a fellow God go past he smashes his mighty fist into the God of excess stomach, causing a violent expulsion of soul matter. 

Briefly amused by these pathetic mewlling creatures he would unintentionally help shape them by his brutal will. However as is his want this amusement wouldn't last long and they would be cast into the mortal realms to fend for themselves. 

Prized for their strength and sharp intellect the fractured people would be pressed into slavery by the races of the mortal realms or hunted down by others as an abomination that shouldn't be. 

years of suffering at the hands of others  would help shape them into a hardy people with a strong identity and hatred for all others outside of their own. Even the Gods wouldn't be spared their ire. 

The exodus of these people wouldn't happen in a flood but rather a trickle. Chain gangs breaking free of their masters whip, gladiators revolting from the fighting pits, miners turning pick and hammer on slave drivers. 

Drawn together the people's would form into wandering nomadic groups across the mortal realms. Using their freedom to explore the worlds denied to them and hurt thoughs that had hurt them. 

This is pretty much as far as I've gotten outside if how I imagine them looking. Even if I did get the chance to start the project and see if I could mould these guys to the table top I dont even know where I'd start or how I would represent them on the table top. 

Lol please dont gut me for this.

I guess the first thing is to decide what kind of base you want to build them around. For conversion purposes its usually best to start with some kind of existing model to work from. There are those who are very handy with green stuff and fimo clay, and can sculpt their own models from scratch. For most though its best to look at a variety of ranges to find something which is close, and then build on that by kitbashing, green stuffing and creating variant paint schemes.

You then need to convert some rules to represent them. Again its perfectly possible to write an AoS warscroll or alliegence abilities from scratch, but its always easier to have a starting point, and tweak things a bit to better match what you want your army to be able to do. The simplest solution is to create a "counts as" force, so you take a legal army list, but use your custom models to represent the existing scrolls. That may be easier said than done if your idea is quite unique, but if you can find something similar then its possible to add rules, change numbers and generally tinker until it gets closer to what you want.

Good luck with the project, it sounds great, so we'll be keen to see what you come up with!

• LOVE IT! 1