General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

On 8/3/2019 at 11:25 AM, Kramer said:

💯 🔥 

Such an amazingly weird thing that the terrain is slightly less. And neither terrain expansions add that height either.

luckily i’ve been building a ruined city for Skirmish already. So couple of gangplanks and I’m set. Might even get a Stormcast vs DoK Warcry year game in today. 

The price of printed cardstock in the numbers GW are printing is very cheap. The logistics needed to keep track of what languages the packs are in, is not. You can be pretty sure that they decided that it’s much cheaper to just put all the cards in the pack, rather than keep track of which is which. 😊

4 hours ago, GuitaRasmus said:

The price of printed cardstock in the numbers GW are printing is very cheap. The logistics needed to keep track of what languages the packs are in, is not. You can be pretty sure that they decided that it’s much cheaper to just put all the cards in the pack, rather than keep track of which is which. 😊

I think you might have responded to another comment. Or i'm fully missing your point 😅

28 minutes ago, GuitaRasmus said:

Indeed I have. 😂 I blame an 8 weeks old baby boy and hence, very little sleep. 😉

Haha I was there roughly 27 weeks ago. I know the feeling. Good luck, congrats and enjoy it! Even the sleep deprived parts. 

• Like 1

Played my first game with my Undead using the leaked photos.

Loving Warcry. Really cool mechanics and the thematic abilities for each gang really give them character. Having Krell use his cursed weapon at a crucial moment to claim the head of the enemy leader was very satisfying.

I went into the local GW store in Los Angeles area just to get a few more Contrast Paints now that they restocked and they had the entire Warcry box set broken out and after holding several of the miniatures I changed my mind and picked up their last copy.  I still think of Python's Sir Bedevere holding up his mask every time he talks when I look at the Iron Golems though... I am going to have to mod those I think.

I also picked up a bunch of different armies' worth of the cards.  This store sold out of quite a few before I got there but I did get DoK, IDK, Nighthaunt, Gitz, Stormcast, and Bonesplitterz.  Staff said Iron Jaws sold out first and then the other Undead pack.

Its a BIG box of stuff.  Still torn on the rules vs regular AoS but I think it will be fun to go back and forth and maybe try some Path to Glory using the scenery/board size as well as building up some interesting Chaos mortals.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Travis Baumann said:

I went into the local GW store in Los Angeles area just to get a few more Contrast Paints now that they restocked

Super tangential to why's the majority of your post was about, but quick question - did that particular store have the Contrast versions of black and white in stock?  Seems like those have been super hard to get ahold of

Some stores are getting the contrast paints - Firestorm Games in the UK had over 600 delivered and last I checked still had something like 400 pots of the Black contrast paint. I think some of the initial mania has eased off so production is catching up to demand and should eventually settle down. 

Oh boy, I got this new (to me) "non-toxic" paint stripper to clean off some old metal squigs and hoppers, and it is stretching the definition of "non-toxic" as it basically dissolved latex gloves as fast as I could swap them out.  Stripped (with a brush) about 20 models, went through 5 pairs of gloves.  Hahaha

2 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Oh boy, I got this new (to me) "non-toxic" paint stripper to clean off some old metal squigs and hoppers, and it is stretching the definition of "non-toxic" as it basically dissolved latex gloves as fast as I could swap them out.  Stripped (with a brush) about 20 models, went through 5 pairs of gloves.  Hahaha

o.O

You don't need to use Alien Acid to strip metal models! UK side I use Dettol in the brown bottle liquid form (important to note as it also comes as a white spray which is no good). No acid issues, just leave them to soak for a while (hours - days - last ones I cleaned were in it for a year or two..... hey I forgot about them sorta) then just scrub off with a brush and some fresh dettol and then once totally clean rinse with water (don't use water before cleaning off the paint gunk otherwise it turns into a goopy sticky mess)

3 hours ago, mikethefish said:

Super tangential to why's the majority of your post was about, but quick question - did that particular store have the Contrast versions of black and white in stock?  Seems like those have been super hard to get ahold of

They restocked the entire line.  I was having major problems finding the Aethermatic Blue and Talassar Blue but was able to pick them up.

I now have 23 of the 34.  I will probably get the rest at some point even though I have found a few of the colors to be a little redundant.

New painting project:

A Gloomspite Squig army, already nicknamed project Skittles.

Each Squig on a different color, several skin colors on the goblins. Will keep the black robes to preserve my sanity (or at least use a single color).

Plan is to make is as psicodeloc as possible.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Yeah I was interested in trying something new.  I have a mild/gentle product I use for plastic, but I wanted to branch out into chemical-land for these metal ones.

Nail polish remover (acetone) works great for metal minis, rubbing alcohol for plastic. 

• Like 1

I’ve been using the same pair of clippers for at least a decade until they recently vanished into thin air. Went and got a Xuron 2175ET sprue cutter and highly recommend it! 

It’s sharp - cuts cleanly without much effort. The handles are long and provide decent grip. Big improvement over the old pair!

I've still got my very fist set of yellow handled hobby clippers from GW - the only reason I've bought a new set is because the little spring finally gave out. Though I still use them, its just a bit quicker with a set with a spring that pushes them apart after each clip.

Also if you're after some card protectors for general Warcry cards (or MTG or any other card game) the Dragon Shield Art cards are utterly freaking fantastic! Well made, safe and the art on them is very very well done. 2 packs (200 cards) and 2 of the plastic dragon sheild general deck boxes and I've got all my warcry cards stashed!

Edited by Overread

9 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Building my first new model in a while- swallowed the bitter pill of the price and got the Verminlord, so I have until next Thursday to throw him together and get him at least a little painted.

congrats! I've got a moderate 2500pt + skaven force but still haven't picked up the Verminlord. The idea of putting him together is so daunting! May the blessing of the Great Horned Rat be with you in you endeavor

• Thanks 1

_MG_4929.jpg.295b1720ec3986529d779b548c539959.jpg

Had my first few warcry games on this custom set during this week's hobby night, feels pretty good!

I'll definitely need to triple the amount of barricades as it can still feel pretty wide open in some configurations. I got some 6 inch bridges and 3 inch ramps in progress, too. 

I'm already brainstorming another terrain set, since 22x30" is a very pleasant size to make these sets for.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

6 hours ago, soak314 said:

_MG_4929.jpg.295b1720ec3986529d779b548c539959.jpg

Had my first few warcry games on this custom set during this week's hobby night, feels pretty good!

I'll definitely need to triple the amount of barricades as it can still feel pretty wide open in some configurations. I got some 6 inch bridges and 3 inch ramps in progress, too. 

I'm already brainstorming another terrain set, since 22x30" is a very pleasant size to make these sets for.

Great stuff, but I wouldn't add much more terrain of any kind.  This game isn't Necromunda - it's not designed to have a board choked with terrain.  Aside from the bridges you mentioned, you are already running pretty terrain heavy as-is.

32 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Great stuff, but I wouldn't add much more terrain of any kind.  This game isn't Necromunda - it's not designed to have a board choked with terrain.  Aside from the bridges you mentioned, you are already running pretty terrain heavy as-is.

Personnally I think I’m on the more terrain side ! The more opportunities for falls, jumps and stunts the better 🙂

• Like 2

Looking to start a small (cap off at 2k points) Idoneth army. Looks like 2 start collecting boxes is a pretty good start but I was curious if this list would be serviceable up to 2k with a few more purchases:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin
- Enclave: Dhom-Hain
Vulturnos, High King of the Deep (280)
- General
Isharann Soulrender (80)
- Artefact: Brain Barnacles 
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)
10 x Namarti Thralls (130)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
3 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (170)
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (120)
10 x Namarti Reavers (130)

Total: 1230 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 75

I am trying to be smart about these purchases to build something both flexible and fun. I need the one unit of Reavers for Warcry so I figure they should be in the army. 

• Like 1