General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

1 hour ago, LoopyZebra said:

@Kramer here's an example of the buildings and the palisades in the color schemes. I tried the blood on the big open area of planks in the bell tower but removed it. I used the alternating drybrush colors to break it up.

I like the idea of bleeding trees! 

20200501_101910.jpg

20200327_181912.jpg

Yeah that looks really good. Just now doing the weathering but someone wants to join in. So it’s not going fast 😅

image.jpg.16370d3116e226b2d375597130243e38.jpg

but the first bridge is done 

image.jpg.8076d50d542704985c9ce0841ffe7bc5.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all ! 

I have a question about a promotional miniature: Dacian Anvil.

Anyone know how this miniature is distributed ? Ican't found any information since an article from early 2019 where GW told us to wait for more informations about this Stormcast.

I would be glad to add the lad to my collection, so if anyone have information I would be glad to know,

Thanks all and have an happy Xmas ! Take care

Pretty little dreadmaw!!

@mojojojo101  a fair few painting production sites in 2019 went into soap production (small bottles of it) for sanitation. This might have impacted some paint supplies from some sources. That said sometimes its worth playing the field and looking at other stores. Sometimes big stores like Element gets lots of stock when they get it, but can have bigger gaps between restocks and can get more quickly bought up when they do have stock because they've a much bigger target market. Sometimes you've got to search and find a few smaller stores who have websites and see what stock they've got. This last year with things being made like they are I've used a few more smaller stores than normal because the big names were cleaned out 

6 hours ago, Sance said:

Hey i'm working on my Nighthaunt warband, and i I would like to make my pedestals like the ground in this picture:

with dark soil and pink vegetation. Not sure about painting the base dark brown or dark grey

I wonder what product to use for flocking ?

I thoughtabout using pink pollen and alien tufts from gamer grass.

You want this: https://www.gamersgrass.com/flowers-and-shrubs/39-105-lavender-flowers-tufts.html

• Like 1

I sort of complained about Element Games the other day so I think it's only fair I compliment them now. Phoned them up yesterday to remove the stuff they didn't have from my order, call took less than 2 minutes, guy on the phone was very understanding and got the rest of my order with the post this morning. It really is nice when companies make these things easy :D.

Now I've just got to sort out my motivation to actually paint something...

So I finished my conversion of a stonehorn. Found a 2nd hand  thundertusk on ebay for super cheap but couldn't find a replacement stone horn head so I made my own using the thundertusk head. It took me like 2 weeks of sculpting, changing, green stuffing, sanding, cutting and filing to get it in the right place (although I could have probably done a little more sanding) and then an evening painting the horns and finding and trying new techniques (I've not painted anything like this before). Then when that was done I converted a spare glutton with various parts and green stuff into my very own Frost Lord, very pleased with the results. 

Tried to get some decent photos of him, got one with my kit bashed thundertusk for good measure 

IMG_20210111_034203.jpg

IMG_20210111_033738.jpg

IMG_20210111_034001.jpg

IMG_20210111_033852.jpg

IMG_20210111_033621.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 3 weeks later...

I recently finished what I consider to be my best model yet:

image.png.01be2ea7a2abf01179990e7dd98832f0.png

I really tried to push myself on this one. I didn't skip any details. All that black lining was killing me near the end.

I also experimented with pre-shading metallics, to some success. The method is overall faster and looks pretty good.

My only regret is that ugly base rim, but I had to patch up the base a few times because I used a bad clay to build it and it shrank and cracked a lot.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 1/31/2021 at 11:19 PM, Eldarain said:

Love that Tomb King Beasty. Don't worry about the base thought you meant to make it look like Obsidian (which it does!)

Thank you for saying so, that's a nice perspective. Although the base rim is much more matte in real life. It's only in that overly well-lit photo that it looks so shiny.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 8:53 AM, Beastmaster said:

Just ordered a hot-wire cutter and some styrofoam. Seems like a fun way to do some terrain. 😃

I find terrainbuilding to be incredibly rewarding if I take the time to do it right.

Currently making a version of the LEGO medieval Blacksmith. I used to be into castle, but then they stopped making it for 8 years and I ended up in miniatures.

It's still a nice design, and fits with other buildings that I made.

21325_alt1.jpeg

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I find terrainbuilding to be incredibly rewarding if I take the time to do it right.

Currently making a version of the LEGO medieval Blacksmith. I used to be into castle, but then they stopped making it for 8 years and I ended up in miniatures.

It's still a nice design, and fits with other buildings that I made.

21325_alt1.jpeg

Ooh, I built that the other weekend. Its a really nice design, and as you say its the first medieval building They've done for far too long. It really reminds me a lot of the Medieval Market village from the end of the fantasy era. Always great to see more civilian buildings, and would be great as wargame terrain with all the detail. 

Ironically its flipped me back into Lego fan mode a lot, so I've not been posting here as much, ordoing as much painting the last couple of weeks. Too little hobby time for both to beat the forefront simultaneously!

4 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Ooh, I built that the other weekend. Its a really nice design, and as you say its the first medieval building They've done for far too long. It really reminds me a lot of the Medieval Market village from the end of the fantasy era. Always great to see more civilian buildings, and would be great as wargame terrain with all the detail. 

Ironically its flipped me back into Lego fan mode a lot, so I've not been posting here as much, ordoing as much painting the last couple of weeks. Too little hobby time for both to beat the forefront simultaneously!

I expected to be enthousiastic for it, but that didn't happen. I hadn't done anything with lego for so long due to castle having that 8 year hiatus.

I'm still drawing and scaling to get it to look right, it'll take a while.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had a question about shopping at your local store. Does anyone know if a store makes any money if they order something for you?

If my local store is out of stock for something I'll sometimes ask them to order something for me. I've often wondered if this helps them out at all or if I'm just making extra work for them.