General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

That's a very cool paint effect, but I wonder how durable it is over time and if it takes varnish sprays. Otherwise it might be the kind of thing that for a game model isn't that useful or can only be used on interior areas that won't come into bumping/hand contact. 

17 minutes ago, Overread said:

That's a very cool paint effect, but I wonder how durable it is over time and if it takes varnish sprays. Otherwise it might be the kind of thing that for a game model isn't that useful or can only be used on interior areas that won't come into bumping/hand contact. 

It looks amazing, until I watched their follow on video for it and you can see how delicate it is. They had to give it a coating of superglue and then when they were showing it being painted, you could see parts of the frosting 'melt' where they applied paint but it had not been properly coated in superglue.

So looks amazing, but I think anything other than a display piece it would be next to useless. Shame as its a really nice effect.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:51 PM, JPjr said:

I figured having these boxes on my desk would shame me action but instead they just became a towering monument to depression.

anyway a small victory for the sullen as after months I was spurred into action today and built them, now they can join their mates in the miserable ‘to be painted’ pile.

huzzah

Huzzah indeed!

That said I've found that having a pile of models glare at me unbuilt doesn't always help my productivity. There is a balance between having enough that you feel like doing them and having too many that you get quickly discouraged. As of late I've started regularly boxing up boxes that I've not touched in a while and "hiding" them inside a coffer. It gives me that "getting on with things" feeling of clearing desk/room space and I've found it sometimes motivates me. Plus the whole process of putting away and sometimes getting out/sorting through stuff means I sometimes find things. Such as yesterday I finally found my missing metal generation 1 zoanthrope so now that's on the to build pile instead of the huge box of Warcry that I've not touched much of in a long while.

Esp with lockdowns and no games I find cycling what you're building on helps a fair bit when you've a more expensive bulk of stuff to build. Not as good for painting like as not, where batch painting in groups is likely more practical

• Like 2

Everytime I try to focus down painting an army I end up getting dragged toward a different one for whatever reason *FLIPS PAINTING TABLE*

On the bright side I've built up the warbands from Catacombs and oh boy do I love those models! It's a shame the chaos warbands are so boring in regular AoS because the scions of the flame are absolutely gorgeous! I love the theme of them and how cool their 'hero' dudes look! The shadowstalkers likewise are gorgeous models and the warlocks with the dual crossbows are really great! Will likely use these ones for D&D mini's as well!

I've now got to split my focus between Sylvaneth, Chaos and Daughters of Khaine to try and get at least something painted! And pray to the gods that nothing new threatens to distract me in the meantime (This will totally fail if any new soulblight get announced)

Why is it that as soon as one breaks in a new scalpel blade, when its edge has just dulled enough that it no longer slices at the plastic at random and scrapes smooth - why is it the same moment it decides its going to break its point and no longer fit into all the little gaps. Gah I hate breaking in a new blade. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Yeah, the camera is such that the shorts could be off, but the socks puzzle me.

Take a look at the Fyreslayer models - the shorts are never on! ;) That's the real enigma. If they are Fyreslayer shorts then they are as impossible as melusai socks

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 11/14/2020 at 3:06 PM, Kramer said:

30D106B9-CA19-4F21-B2A7-20C981F51B2B.jpeg.81a345738b8d6e8f62e8972fda975d9a.jpeg

This legitimately makes me want to see rainbow stormcast now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm currently struggling to get some more of my DoK built and painted whilst waiting for broken realms to arrive. I'm quite looking forward to playing with some of the changes myself, especially finally getting to have some use out of little morathi. Though we'll see if I get proper things done or get distracted by more AoA ideas ;)

gods of moderation please delete this if it's nae appropriate but whilst I have yet to paint any more models I have clambered out of my pit of unemployed despair and done a thing, a magazine about RPGs, wargames & board games to be exact.

just launched on Kickstarter this afternoon it features an original short story from our fave BL author Josh Reynolds, interviews with Kieron Gillen (Marvel/Image), Cole Wehrle (Root), Chris Spivey (Call of Cthulhu: Harlem Unbound), Banana Chan (Jiangshi), Themeborne (Escape the Dark Castle) & Johan Nohr (Mork Borg) & several more plus loads of other features including a look back over this hellish year. 80 pages of hot wizard chat.

Not quite as much wargames stuff in there as planned (tricky to do with the pandemic & all that though we did sneak a Stormcast onto the cover) but should we make it to next year we've got something very nice & Warhammer themed planned for a future issue.

Anyway, there you go that's my been my slightly stressful hobbying.

covermockup1.jpg

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1