General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

Yeah, I prefer to collect a wide range of models rather than trying to exhaustively stick to an army. This means that a lot of my units are understrength, and a lot of my armies have far more heroes than I'd every actually be able to field.

The reason for this is two fold. First I'm more of a collector than a gamer, so when I try to get a "complete army" I tend to want to get every sculpt, rather than a competitive list with all the requisite duplication of battleline options.

The second reason is that I often get models for using in D&D and frostgrave, which I play much more regularly than Warhammer. That leads to me picking up a box of random things here and there, which I might later come back to and expand into a little warhammer army. This leads to a bit of a haphazard collection, but over the years I've gradually filled in some gaps, and now have at least a small playable force for most armies. Warband scale games are great in this respect. I recently read the Battle Companies book for middle earth, and I reckon I can put together a small battle company for each of the LOTR factions.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

Is there anyone else like myself who just tries to collect a nice chunk of every army?

I'm at roughly 63,000 total points (not including scenery). Stormcast and Skaven are the only two over 4,000 points, sitting at 4801 and 4393 respectively. Although, if everything for Free Cities stays, that army will probably exist somewhere over 10,000 points.

I have weird stigmas for what I purchase too. So little of what I have is big models, and so much is just a combination of what comes in the two-Army battleboxes, Start Collecting boxes, and Holiday Battleforces. I only sometimes buy a kit more than once, and usually only if it is a Battleline unit, or builds a completely different model/unit (as opposed to a different weapon loadout). 

That is a collection! I got some Skavens (heroes and shadespire/ Spire of Dawn), some TKs, Sylvaneth and DoK for my wife, a couple Idoneth models and my beloved 7k elves.

Now i got half of Looncurse (the goblins) for painting for fun. I belive once more my wife is gona steal the army 🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chickenbits said:

Trying to summon up the hobby-mojo to finnish my last 30 crossbowmen. 

I now have like 4000 pts of old Empire and I'm still sure the cities book will make me buy more  😛

Believe me, it’ll happen.

Ive been playing the skaven for 13 years and my collection has grown out of frustration not having a battletome.

And well now it is out, and has been for a couple of months, and my army is not only growing, but I’m always feeling the need for more more more skaven.

well in the end I’m the proud owner of a 18’000++point skaven army.

• Like 1

WARCRY is here and darn me those models scare me a bit (all those complicated angles and mould lines - though really its not that bad until I look at the toothed swords....)

Great box, huge amount of terrain and content within it! Also the large number of cards has finally given me an excuse to get some Dragon Shield Art protectors. 

https://www.dragonshield.com/standard-sleeves/art-sleeves

Seriously go check them out if you want some card protectors for warhammer or regular card games. Also if you click on the card page for the individual art there's a download art tab that gives you the cart in a zip in several different sizes - great for giving your desktop some new art! 

I had to hunt around a bit to find some stock of them in the UK that wasn't  going into silly monies - Chaoscards store appeared pretty reliable and a good source. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Wait. GW made cards that fit standard sleeves. What a lovely day! 

Yes all the playing cards are standard size. The only overlarge are the faction summary cards and honestly I've not measured/compared them to see if they fit the standard market "Oversized" category. 

But yes all your unit stat cards, all the terrain, twist, deployment cards are all standard size :)

• LOVE IT! 1

51 minutes ago, Overread said:

WARCRY is here and darn me those models scare me a bit (all those complicated angles and mould lines - though really its not that bad until I look at the toothed swords....)

Great box, huge amount of terrain and content within it! Also the large number of cards has finally given me an excuse to get some Dragon Shield Art protectors. 

https://www.dragonshield.com/standard-sleeves/art-sleeves

Seriously go check them out if you want some card protectors for warhammer or regular card games. Also if you click on the card page for the individual art there's a download art tab that gives you the cart in a zip in several different sizes - great for giving your desktop some new art! 

I had to hunt around a bit to find some stock of them in the UK that wasn't  going into silly monies - Chaoscards store appeared pretty reliable and a good source. 

Dont care about the game but the terrain looks awesome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

Yes all the playing cards are standard size. The only overlarge are the faction summary cards and honestly I've not measured/compared them to see if they fit the standard market "Oversized" category. 

But yes all your unit stat cards, all the terrain, twist, deployment cards are all standard size :)

That's great news. Thank you. I have some over sized sleeves. Will take one to the shop to investigate.

Just now, Eldarain said:

That's great news. Thank you. I have some over sized sleeves. Will take one to the shop to investigate.

Look forward to hearing the results. Honestly the game cards are pretty safe in general since you'll only draw them once; whilst the unit cards are good quick reference, but again not heavily handled. So even without protectors they should last a good long while since you're not gaming with them like MTG cards or AoS game cards for the card game.

But yeah its still good to get them in some protectors :)

45 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Aaaand all those models i proudly showed on the first page are gone.

Great!

Not gone until gw gives us a final list. Could be in the midst of reboxing.

I'm excited for warcry because it has opened up the mortal followers of chaos with a shite load of different themes.

Edited by Lord marcus

11 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Wait. GW made cards that fit standard sleeves. What a lovely day! 

They also gave us a whole bunch of free cardstock in the foil pack faction cards!  All the languages you'd ever need to read your skills in!

Seriously tho GW that was mondo wasteful. I'd love to have been in the corporate meeting where they decided that more than half of those foils contents would be useless to the customer..

19 hours ago, soak314 said:

One thing I picked up on while doing test games on the WIP pieces for playability: try and build your Warcry boards to have a bit more verticality than the core box suggests. This will become especially apparent if you run into someone who insists on running the box terrain as their true height (>3" tall). All the falling shenanigans really add to the game, and having sufficient bits for your fellas to clamber up onto, jump between, and occasionally plummet off just *feels* so nice.

💯 🔥 

Such an amazingly weird thing that the terrain is slightly less. And neither terrain expansions add that height either.

luckily i’ve been building a ruined city for Skirmish already. So couple of gangplanks and I’m set. Might even get a Stormcast vs DoK Warcry year game in today. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Waiting for my warcry stuff to arrive as well. Looking forward to the cabal release atm. If anyone in Belgium or Netherlands wants the starter box warbands let me know, we could work out a trade of some sort :D

Hmm I was thinking about doing the same (Live in Leiden), so if you find multiple buyers let me know ;) 

6 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Sure, I will let you know if I do :). I will probably dump it on marktplaats soon XD

eBay is a hassle as a seller but eBay.de is also a good place to check out. 

Im still waiting for the old wyldwoods on marktplaats but nothing is happening there yet 😂

Edited by Kramer

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

💯 🔥 

Such an amazingly weird thing that the terrain is slightly less. And neither terrain expansions add that height either.

luckily i’ve been building a ruined city for Skirmish already. So couple of gangplanks and I’m set. Might even get a Stormcast vs DoK Warcry year game in today. 

it’s probably because they made it compatible with the azyrite ruins. I think anyone who insists on using the actual height is being unnecessarily nitpicky and unfun. But that’s just my opinion :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Moldek said:

it’s probably because they made it compatible with the azyrite ruins. I think anyone who insists on using the actual height is being unnecessarily nitpicky and unfun. But that’s just my opinion :)

That sounds logical. And I agree on the second part. Same for getting hit off things, but I’ll have to play a few games for the final judgement. It seems too unlikely to happen. I get that if it’s every shot nobody will climb but this seems the opposite.