General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

I finished my yearly inventory project, only to ruin the whole thing by buying a bunch of older boxes that still had the old Warhammer Fantasy printing on it, because it filled gaps in the collection, and it was 25% off.

But my paints are now organized too :D

image.jpg.acaad0836a063fd4d99cc475c5116805.jpg

Also the newborn twins helped me beat my fear of painting large models. Just that subtle realization about how much they mean to me, that I’m carrying them around one armed (if not nearly one-handed), and the big models were $100 at most and won’t be damaged permanently by painting.

If you think that this might help you get over your fear of painting large models, I also suggest checking with your wife before having a kid, she may not be as enthusiastic about having so many of your works of art around the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

Oof, only thing worse than what the cat dragged in is what it drags out.

Just now, Evangelist of Cinders said:

I immediately thought of this old art

Db9sRTHXcAAFSGU.jpg

That's gorgeous!  (and the moons are so fitting with the comparison :D )

Did you already put that in Inspirational Art? That'd be great for a Tempest city force that's either basing itself as the flying ship city of Bataar with a more rustic "Kharadron" fleet or a new city made up of floating islands like around the Tauroi archipelago skylands. :)

Edited by Baron Klatz

On 3/1/2020 at 2:14 AM, zilberfrid said:

If you have a cat that likes carrying around ziplock bags as "prey", keep your bags of bits far away from them.

I came home to a lot of lady bits strewn about the stairs.

Three curious cats here. I have plastic boxes for everything. 😅

7 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Three curious cats here. I have plastic boxes for everything. 😅

It's mostly the one, the other is content sitting on my lap while I paint and getting hair in my paintjobs.

Headbutting minis also is sometimes cause for a discussion.

• LOVE IT! 1

Whoa, this guy's got a gruesome hobby project. He's making all the Endless Spells grotesque. xD

Like Purple Suns hatching Lord of Changes.

FjMHEs8_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The Endless Spells being natural disasters from the realm-edges is bad enough but his sailing through the chaos realm first is a whole new nightmare. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slowly grinding through painting my pastel blue 40k wych cult and making silly zombie pirate conversions for my recent cities project. Unfortunately xbox MMO's have been stealing my time a lot recently so I've not worked on them as much as I should whoops! But I did get to have my first game with the cities. My vampire general on griffon did a lot of killing (and a lot of whiffing) whereas my zombie handgunners did very little beside finishing the last couple of wounds off arkhan the black. Teach that guy to be a skeleton and not a zombie!

Hoping to get some more pics up on my blog soon now that I've sprayed some bits up for painting and have added a cannon onto an old pirate ship mortis engine to make it a steam tank. Just needs zombie crew ;) 

I'm very glad to see that ramshackle pirate ship too, it looks amazing and it's nice to see other embracing the pirate theme. Arrr!!

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 2

That's beautiful!

Would be great for a new race as well like a native people in the realms birthed by the God-beasts forced to hide from the pantheon.

"Despite the folktales, cats have no king. Only a queen……. Did you know that there were once many gods? Some… escaped. They slipped between the cracks in the realms, where even the Ruinous Powers dare not go. One of those gods was the mother of all cats. The first ones, at least. She left her children in every realm. Some were big, some small. Some weren’t really cats at all. But all gods leave a little of themselves behind, when they go. An echo, a whisper."

~ Balthas Arum to Elya.

Also gorgeous grots alert!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hah nice use of a toy to create a battlefield arena! Must admit that was what I thought warcry was going to be more about - pitted gladiator battles. 

I've also taken the final final final setp toward potentially starting to do this "painting" thing and picked up some more brushes. Now I just need to clear more of the desk and actually apply some of the paint to the brush and then to the models. 

Also in other game related news I'm somewhat happy - Chaos Cards are having a warehouse sale and whilst there isn't much left on the list there was a load of Draco Magi sets for £2. I'd had an eye on the game before but never found it UK side for an affordable price; so £2 is a done deal! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I have a second High Elf Griffin that I intend to make into a Snow Leopard (well, the rear quarters at least), what do people think is a good way to make it appear more fluffy?

You've basically two options

1) Greenstuff on more fur. Basically put some greenstuff on without losing the shape of the body and use a bald to create fur streaks. Now you could do this over the whole lower half, but it would require a lot of work and could backfire and look tacky. You can use an artists trick whereby you only do this on the ends of the major area of fur and the edges where it changes direction; so you create a thin band of fur effect which gives the illusion of thicker fur over the whole area. 

2) Paint. I've seen some artists do painting fur whereby instead of a smooth single coat they use a very small brush and more paint colour variation to paint on streaks - like lots of lines that comprise together to make the fur effect.

Both of these would benefit from studying actual cats and looking at the patterns of fur on their bodies. It can take some surprising directions at times (an area to watch out for would be as you move back from the barrel of the body toward the area just infront of the hind legs). 

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I just received new tools for greenstuffing, so I can let loose on this project.

I was also thinking of using brushstrokes to my advantage on flatter areas, to use unthinned paint as a base layer and texture a bit with it. I do have some experience with the "tiny brushstrokes to simulate hair" technique, but the top layers are an excellent proving ground.

I'll also be changing the tail, it needs to be longer and thicker (and will hold up the model).

Not really sure where to put this. What properties do realmgates have. Are they gateways to multiple realms or just one place in particular. 
I ask this because as I come up with fluff about Matorea, I need a realmgate from Ghyran  to Hysh. I found an almost perfect spot for the province of Matorea near or around an existing realmgate Festermere and was wondering if I need to make one up or use an existing. On the map there are only a few gates unless I can just have one handy.