General Hobby Chatter!

Overread

Having written out in excruciating length all the unpainted models taken up space on my shelves last week and made myself feel suitably ashamed I made the most of a rare clear, dry autumnal day here in Belgium dug out a load of boxes gathering dust and have at least now primed my Azyrite Ruins, Shattered Dominion Objectives, Arcane Hazards, the last few bloody Malign Sorcery spells(!) and 2 more Stormvault bases. Good timing as The weather has reverted to the norm here and is pissing down again.

odds I can get all these done this week and build up enough of a psychic head of steam that I can finally tackle the 50 or so Squigs that keep leering at me from the shelves...

Meanwhile whilst I was feeling smug about having just undercoated some scenery your man who did that awesome Skaven warp drill has taken it up another level entirely...

9E2F126E-D057-4831-9C05-89C6A70D5F1A.jpeg

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3

I've had a productive afternoon organising my Bits Box. (it was supposed to be a productive afternoon sticking models together, but I ran out of glue...)

I don't think i've managed to make it more compact, per se, In fact I may have generated an extra box of basing materials in the process, of sorting it all out...

But Its definitely easier to find stuff now!

I knew it was a good idea to keep all of those clam packs!

IMG_9258.JPG.e897731f54000180fcb67c5b75a9c6a3.JPG

Edit: I should probably have taken a "before" photo of what it looked like when it was all in unlabeled plastic bags, but I didn't think to, and I'm certainly not putting it back!

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

Not exactly AOS related, but I bought the new Marvel Crisis Protocol starter box and spent last night putting the models together and holy cow they made me remember how spoiled we are with GW kits.  The models are pretty nice but so dang fiddly I was cursing like a sailor the entire time I was getting the things assembled.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

I don’t know if this will send people into paroxysms of unfettered joy, avaricious lust or just bitter rage at what could have been but... DAMN SON...

That is a lovely conversion! It really shows how much potential there is to give things a different aesthetic twist. It certainly has me glacing at my Tomb Kings bits box to wonder if I could do something similar. It wouldn't be easy certainly, some of the bits that have gone into that model are not easy to come by any more (such as the herald's banner, and the Tomb King models used as the attaches. Great project though! Hopefully there will be some information on how he converted it.

• Like 1

Bit of a random one but just visited the Christmas grotto at a nearby garden centre (because I’m an adult and can do whatever I want including getting excited for Christmas in November 😝) and they had these, pretty large ( the big one was about a metre wide), plastic bases for festive/Nordic decorative tableaux and ****** me if they’re not absolutely the perfect size for our little toys.

quick spray, dry brush add some rocks and ****** and some stuff coming out the holes (TENTACLES) then I reckon these will look pretty damn good for a Warcry board or mountainous addition to any table.

if you’re looking to play on some more interesting tables then could be a fun winter project. Not too expensive either the big one was only €55. Light plastic though so whilst easy to pick up and move around could get damaged but still... 

oh yeah bought a glittery chameleon for our tree too because why not...

1BC53031-AE2A-4785-AC0F-4121373AD3D4.jpeg

ABF21621-BC29-4649-B931-6386A4945664.jpeg

32BD3A12-57D1-4969-BA39-B225E411FC9E.jpeg

• Like 3

Done some scenery painting for my local gaming club in Bury. Was quite satisfying to paint. I will pick some more up this week. 

Otherwise I am working on a manticore lord for my Khorne army and in prep for the Slaves tome coming in a week or two.

I have also been passing on advice to an aspiring Khorne player. 

On Thursday I take on the bone reapers eek

7E4FB1F8-32E3-403C-937A-A6E6CC80CB5A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, michu said:

Ray Dranfield is posting on twitter new terrain tips - this time he posted size comparison of Warcry and Rohan terrain.

Hide contents

ELX96Y5WwAAbmfI.jpg

Hide contents

ELX97LTX0AIix6Z.jpg

Hide contents

ELX98AwWsAA2IgP.jpg

Nice! If anyone has the ruin of osgiliath and the warcry / azyrite ruins set I’d love to see those side by side too

@Praecautus Nice and looks like you've landed fast with the painting too! I was very much going to follow in those footsteps and make my own slaves force to compliment my Slaanesh; however I had a "Oh I appear to have a new army" moment with Ossiarchs

Also Dear GW. In your latest book about the great Gotrek - Ghoulslayer - you feature a whole race of people using melded bone and metal who aren't Ossiarchs, but who clearly use similar bone moulding technologies. You gave them a bone dragon knight.

Please - give Ossiarchs a Bone Dragon! Especially as you don't even let them ally in a zombie dragon, which would be nice but lets not kid ourselves. No neat and tidy Ossiarch army could really contend with all the messy bits falling and purifying on a zombie dragon. You could never field it anywhere near the Deathriders as the riders would be forever cleaning up their mounts; nor could you use it in the skies - it would be just terribly messy.

but a nice shiny clean dragon made of bone now that you can use! And what foe could ever dare stand against the power of a bone dragon! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Overread hah, actually the first photo are various models I acquired in a few years of Khorne in AoS and hammerhal. What I had not appreciated was that when the new tome landed I pretty much had an army the had appeared by stealth. A few units or warriors and or knights and I will have about 2k haha. I don’t know if it will be any good though but it’s certainly unexpected 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:45 PM, Greyshadow said:

Christmas break is always packed with stuff for me so I am not expecting to get much done. An hour here and there after work when the kids have gone to bed is my hobby time these days. Still, should be able to get some games in in mid to late January.

Haha feel your pain. Luckily mine goes to bed quite early but by the time I finished cleaning up after here there is not a lot of energy left. The missus and me now have a evening off/hobby night every week. Works a treat and helps me get some mental rest every few days as well. 

• Like 1

While I dislike the Underworlds game itself, I really love Shadespire - both the novel and the setting as a whole.  So much so, that I find myself thinking of different ways to build some customized terrain for it.

To build a Shadespire board, I am thinking not a few things.  First, I could use the War Cry ruins, as they look particularly appropriate for the crumbling grandeur that is modern-day Shadespire. 

Second thing is that we need the quintessential Shadespire feature - mirrors.  I figure I could buy some of this stuff...

12359311.jpg

And cut into fragmented glass shard shapes.  Glue the shards onto some creepy Tim Burton looking shapes, so that they cover the entire surface, and scatter those around the board.

I'm not sure if that would look cool, or crappy

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

While I dislike the Underworlds game itself, I really love Shadespire - both the novel and the setting as a whole.  So much so, that I find myself thinking of different ways to build some customized terrain for it.

To build a Shadespire board, I am thinking not a few things.  First, I could use the War Cry ruins, as they look particularly appropriate for the crumbling grandeur that is modern-day Shadespire. 

Second thing is that we need the quintessential Shadespire feature - mirrors.  I figure I could buy some of this stuff...

12359311.jpg

And cut into fragmented glass shard shapes.  Glue the shards onto some creepy Tim Burton looking shapes, so that they cover the entire surface, and scatter those around the board.

I'm not sure if that would look cool, or crappy

That’s cool! How much colour do you think you can give them without losing reflection? Because you need so green tints in the terrain to match the artwork colour palette.