Warcry - Legions of Nagash discussion

Fisherdwarf

The cards:

9kdygr68fhd31.jpg.1c22f50ae1ffb657e6e8aa5a5f163ed2.jpg

Seems like it's possible to play a few variants of this warband, ranging from a more elite grave guard to a mass of skeletons. While I'm personally leaning towards a healthy mix, I can't but imagine what can be done with Vanhel's and a blob of warriors.

Another interesting point is Necrotic Siphon. I might not have fully grasped the whole wild dice mechanic, but getting a fairly high triple doesn't seem that rare. Having guaranteed damage should let you play more conservative in that combat phase, even if it's just 3-4.

Obviously, the ressurrect can be very situational, but bringing back a grave guard with 2h-weapon next to a juicy target might outshine the Siphon.

Really looking forward to trying these guys out. Worried about the low speed, but I feel it might be manageable with some creative ability shenanigans.

My issue is warbands like this that can take 55pt models. Take 10 and that's only 550 points. You still have 450 left. Chuck in a leader and more 55pt models and you can have a lot of models. Now I know what your thinking they are only skelies with 8 wounds each. But say you run a warband with 7-8 models it would be very difficult to beat these horde warbands as you have nowhere near enough attacks to kill them all /outnumber on objectives. 

4 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

My issue is warbands like this that can take 55pt models. Take 10 and that's only 550 points. You still have 450 left. Chuck in a leader and more 55pt models and you can have a lot of models. Now I know what your thinking they are only skelies with 8 wounds each. But say you run a warband with 7-8 models it would be very difficult to beat these horde warbands as you have nowhere near enough attacks to kill them all /outnumber on objectives. 

Yes, I think the sheer amount of activations will allow you to react to your opponent's moves with a big advantage. Then add the quad and you'll have even more.

EDIT:  I was wrong about this.  Turns out the three different 8 pointed stars are slightly different and the one on the seneschal is the Chosen Champion and not the leader one.  --> At first I was disappointed I couldn't have a skeleton champion or a seneschal in the same warband as a necromancer but then it dawned on me that only the siphon ability is necromancer only.  So I'll definitely have the two other leaders on the roster.  <-- see?  wrong.

A bit of tactics when it comes to out numbering your opponent:  tempo matters.  The game plays fast and is often concluded in three or four turns.  So if you use and ability to get extra movement and get a good number of your guys to engage their more expensive ones turn 1 you're going to feel great.  But then they're going to hit you.  And if you engaged people who haven't activated yet, they're going to hit you twice.  And this assumes that it all works out in terms of having enough models in the dagger, shield and hammer and having them be in the right places to tie up what you need to.

Might I suggest instead that you look at the scenario and bypass objectives and set up layers of guys beyond the objectives but not engaging the enemy?  So they not only are forced into wading through your numbers, but they have to spend the activations/abilities to move in rather than you giving them an extra attack?

And for the scenarios when you need to attack superior enemy fighters, you'll need to make sure you use your weight of numbers to actually get more attacks in.  Tying them up with models won't do much if they already have the objectives they need or are walking away with the treasure.

People are acting like swarms are just going to dominate the game, but I think that will only be true if you are really, really thoughtful about how to use them.  I think people are going to use their elite models to just crush swarms late turn 1 and early turn 2 and force the swarm player to play the last half of turn 2 and all of turn 3 with their numbers advantage largely gone and at a significant fighter quality disadvantage.

Edited by Nin Win
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Nin Win said:

At first I was disappointed I couldn't have a skeleton champion or a seneschal in the same warband as a necromancer but then it dawned on me that only the siphon ability is necromancer only.  So I'll definitely have the two other leaders on the roster. 

Sorry, how do you figure? I must admit I'm not entirely clear on the rules, but it appears only the necromancer has the actual leader runemark (the one referenced in Shambling Horde and Chosen Champion abilities), while the seneschal and champion runemarks are slightly different. I find clicking the image to open it shows a slightly better resolution.

On the other hand, if they are all leaders, how would you play both the champion and the seneschal in the same warband?

I agree on your tactical approach though, movement and positioning will be absolutely vital. The low speed of the skeletons will be a factor, but hopefully a large amount of activations will allow us to play in a flexible manner, often getting the "last word in" in a round, so to speak.

• Thanks 1

Looks like you're right about that.  Chosen Champion looks so close to the leader that in the lower res image it's hard to tell them apart, but they are different.  So I'm sad I won't be able to use them as leaders, but happy that I can now include them alongside the necromancer.

share1.jpg.e3544b5fc997c1703c2d1393d4d37ace.jpg

Those are actually different runemarks apparently.  That's good news, I guess.

Edited by Nin Win

So I'm only like 5 games in with Legions of Nagash and I've noticed something.

Triples are really reliable.  Doubles happen a lot in the 6 dice and you'll always have a wild die so you can very often have a triple when you want it.

Legions of Nagash is pretty slow.  One of the fastest ways to have a fighter be where you want is to summon it closer after it has died.

I've had a couple games where the objectives ended up being a substantial distance from many of my fighters.    At first I was wary about double moving skeletons and grave guard into vulnerable positions on turn 1 or 2, but now I see that I want one or two to die.  Just so I can redploy them with my necromancer as he heads towards actually doing something important.

I had a game yesterday where I had to end a move action within 1" of a certain board edge and remove the fighter.  The only reason I won was three of my fighters from the other side of the board were taken out in turn 1 and 2.  I was able to revive them on turns 2, 3 & 4.  I ended up winning 6-4 because of that.

TLDR:  Summon Undead to score objectives.  It's often faster than walking there.  Losing a skeleton or two turn 1 can be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i dd the math for a cuple of warbands ad found out, that Legion of Nagash units hit pretty hard compared to their Point costs compared to other warbands. so playing slow  and defensive (like in aos) shouldbe the key in warcry. outnumbering your opponent with a lot of attacks or objective holding seletons. even if you choose the "elite" way with Grave Guards you have so many models on the board.

Both double seem very powerfull Chosen Champion nd Cursed Weapon. Choen Champion used on the Seneschal boosts him to incredible 6 Strength. Even hitting Stormcast won't be a problem anymore. But placing a cursed Weapon on the Seneschal boosts his damage output even more.

i am exited to play some games with my good 'ol skellies

Will probably need some kind of FAQ to be sure as there doesn't seem to be anything about how and when you clear activations.

And it isn't clear what happens with dead models. The summon ability makes it seem like they keep their damage tokens. But if a model dies round 1 and you raise it round 3 is it's activation cleared or does it remain at the state it died?

Yesterday i played my first few games with Legion of Nagash and i have to say, they are awesome!

i played an "elite" List containing: Necromancer, 3x Seneschal, 3x Grave Guard with great Wight Blade, 2x GG with Crypt Shield. 

They hit that hard. My Seneschal hitting the Ogor beeacher with Chosen Champion did 14 Damage to him. in only one Swing! ok that was lucky to roll 2 6's but even the 3'****** in that moment. Cursed Weapon is also a very good ability. Both of them only cost you a double.

I won't forget my opponents face, when he killed one of my Seneschals, just to see me summoning him back, right next to his Leader.

Question on that Point. A Model which was activated in the current Round and resummoned in the same round. Could this Model be activated again?

On 8/16/2019 at 1:49 AM, pseudonyme said:

You should either wait for the faq, or use the email address Sam Pearson communicated for the faqs (look ais his twitter account)

Some of us don’t do social media... well I don’t at any rate. Can we get that email address posted here please?

• 2 weeks later...

sooo what kind of basic skeleton do you guys prefere? The ones with the spear or the ones with the blade? Blade has more attacks but lesser reach and only 3 crit. Spear has one less attack but 2'' reach and also the 4 crit damage. Just curious about your opinion and experience :)

1 hour ago, B.C.D. said:

sooo what kind of basic skeleton do you guys prefere? The ones with the spear or the ones with the blade? Blade has more attacks but lesser reach and only 3 crit. Spear has one less attack but 2'' reach and also the 4 crit damage. Just curious about your opinion and experience :)

Well, it very much depends on the situation for me. Damage-wise, my Guard with GW are so much more efficient that the difference between the Warrior loadouts becomes inconsequential.

They're there to be in the way and take damage, mainly.  I run 2 swords and 1 spear in my current campaign, adding another spear for next time. I find myself putting the spear within 1" more often than not despite his range - forcing a disengage or 1 or 2 attacks on a Warrior is more valuable than a few points of damage. In this aspect, I think the swords are more useful, technically putting in a tiny bit of extra value with slightly higher damage output.

However, when I have an opportunity to use a layered formation, a spear in the back poking over the swords has several uses: extra damage without providing another target, the intimidating factor discouraging contest, and last but not least an opportunity to move fairly freely to tie up enemies who manage to get past the main line.

All in all, I basically use both loadouts to tie up enemies until my Big Boy Skeletons can shamble over and actually do damage. For some reference, what I've been playing:

Necro, Seneschal, Champion, 5 GGwGW, 2 Swords, 1 Spear

Im not a big fan of skeletons at all.  Offensively they just arnt good. I prefer running necromancer, 6 seneschals, and 1 graveguard.

Seneschals and graveguards do absolutely crazy amounts of damage for their points. And you get to bring 1 back to life every turn.

2 skeletons just dont compete with 1 Seneschal for damage. Yes you can argue the merits of using skeletons as roadblocks. But you can also argue the merits of outright killing enemy models so you dont need to roadblock in the first place. Seneschals do that.

Edited by Khobai

Regarding summon undead, while a FAQ would be nice I don’t see why they’d be able to activate if they already did this turn. RAW the ability just says to put them back on the table within 3’’ of the caster, with as much wounds as the value of the ability ( which makes a triple 6 really ideal). 

The ability says specifically its the same model being brought back. And the rules say a model cant activate twice in a turn. That makes it pretty clear to me.

Whenever possible you want to bring back dead guys that havent activated yet this turn.

• Like 3