Warcry - Flesh Eater Courts discussion

Still-young

On 8/15/2019 at 6:05 PM, Bademeister said:

on page 35 of the rule book it is written:" If a rule forn an action or ability preformed by a fighter refers to 'other friendly fighters', it means fighters for the fighter's warband, excluding itself."

in my opinion a leader (Infernal or Haunter) can't use Chosen of the King on himself. Tell me if i am wrong, but it is clearly in the core rules.

I disagree. Rulebook at p.35 specifically says: "If a rule for an action or ability performed by a fighter refers to ‘other friendly fighters’, it means fighters from that fighter’s warband, excluding itself." while Chosen of the King refers just to friendly fighter (with the Leader runemark).
So, in my opinion, Crypt Haunter can use the ability. Otherwise while bother giving him a runemark with no use?

So I wanted to chime in because my friend started playing FEC and these abilities are very destructive - so I'm trying to understand the rules on them. I specifically am looking at the same issue you guys are bringing up regarding "chosen of the king" - but I have an insight as to why I think the haunter cannot target itself.

To understand my point though, you also have to look at "The Royal Hunt" ability. I think the keyword that makes the haunter unable to target himself is "visible". I do not believe a unit is considered visible to itself. The wording for both "The Royal Hunt" and "Chosen of the King" both refer to a "visible friendly fighter" - now this is the logical connection.

If a unit considered itself as a "visible friendly fighter" then why would would "The Royal Hunt" have an added benefit in such a scenario? If the fighter counted themselves for purposes of that ability then there would never be a scenario where "The Royal Hunt"'s added benefit was not present. Does that make sense?

I think the rules issue here is that a "visible friendly fighter" does not include itself - the key word being "visible". I cannot imagine, nor would I think anyone would argue the "The Royal Hunt"'s added bonus would always apply in every scenario. Thoughts?

I've asked on Warcry Fb group, too, and the consensus is that Crypt Haunter can actually use Chosen of the King.

To me it can for the following reasons:
1) Rulebook specifically says that if the rule says "other friendly fighter" a model cannot target itself. and Chosen of the King does not specify "other".
2) Why giving the Hauter the Elite runemark, that doesn't have any "intrinsic" rulings  (like Mount or Gargantuan, for example), if not to grant him access to the ability?
3) Last and more important: because if Crypt Haunter can't use Chosen of the King, I would ALWAYS use the Crypt Infernal as a leader, and nobody wants this :P

Edited by gabbi
  • Like 2