Warcry - Flesh Eater Courts discussion

Still-young

3 hours ago, Laier said:

Still waiting for mine to arrive. What lists could we muster from first glance?

Flayer leader with two bodyguards and ghouls on rest?

Or elite horrors list?

Well there're the 1k Wallet build with 1 FEC start collecting box (and you also get a big dragon, obviously unusable for this game): 1 bat leader + bat + big ghoul + 5x small ghouls. Or 1 Big Ghoul Leader + 2 Bat + 5 small ghouls.

And there're the big spender build with 1 Start Collecting FEC and 1 Crypt Horror box. Which now allow you to build something like : 1 small ghoul leader + 4x Big ghouls + 2 small ghouls, that's 995 pts.

Edited by RaiderX

@RaiderX

Thank you kindly. As I can see bat leader + 2 bats + 4 ghouls are still doable but seems too thin bodies.

I wonder about ghoul spam. Ghoul leader + 14 ghouls. Sacrificing all the abilities but a wholelot of bodies on table.

Batleader + ghouls are interesting too.

Edited by Laier

10 hours ago, Laier said:

@RaiderX

Thank you kindly. As I can see bat leader + 2 bats + 4 ghouls are still doable but seems too thin bodies.

I wonder about ghoul spam. Ghoul leader + 14 ghouls. Sacrificing all the abilities but a wholelot of bodies on table.

Batleader + ghouls are interesting too.

Actually I just noticed that the Crypt Ghouls box give you 20 ghouls, while the Start Collecting only give 10.

So if you only play WC exclusively buying Crypt Horror + Crypt Ghouls box might be a better choice (total price still the same as Start Collecting)

With 20 ghouls you can do both Ghouls spam and Big Ghouls + small ghouls to your heart content. 14 small ghouls + ghouls leader. That's a lot of activations.

Edited by RaiderX

Start collecting box is tempting, but I totally dislike the look of GW ghouls. I think I'll go for the Mantic ones. I will just get the character that comes with the Carrion Empire box if/when it will be released as stand-alone purchase, to use it as "ghoul leader" if I will ever feel to try a warband led by it.

I did some math for average damage output depending on the opponents tougthness and reletive to the points cost.

Damage output on both leaders Infernal and Haunter Courtier is obvouisly  the same. But you have to spend 45 Points more for Flying and the extra 4" move. So Haunter does 15% more damage compared to points to Infernal.

If we take a look at the Abilities the damage spreads even more. Both can use Bringer of death (tripple) for more movement. Infernal can use Death Scream (tripple) which seems pretty hard when you rolled a high tripple. if you can hit 6 enemy fighters in your 8" bubble you will do (on an average tripple of 3-4) 1+3,5=4,5 damage average.

If you gonna use your double Chosen of the King, which is "cheaper" and easier to get, you get 2 extra attacks for EACH attack in that activation. 2 more attacks with strength 4 on an average opponent with 4 tougthness would be 2*(1/6*2+1/6*5)= 2 1/3 damage. when you attack twice it will be 4 2/3 damage extra.

It is far easier to spend a double than a tripple. with your tripple spend on Death Scream you need a lot of viable targets (no line of sight). 

I think going with a heavy Horror/Haunter team is our choice.

Ghouls compared to other factions minions are okay. most of the time they will hit on 5s and 6s because of their low strength. you can'T use that much abilities. healing a ghoul sound not so great. Tripple Bringer of Death with extra movement is pretty good, average move of 3-4. Quad seems to me like a sin to use it on a Ghoul or even Ghast.

My future list will be: 1x Haunter, 3x Horror, 3x Ghoul

On 8/7/2019 at 2:20 PM, Bademeister said:

I did some math for average damage output depending on the opponents tougthness and reletive to the points cost.

Damage output on both leaders Infernal and Haunter Courtier is obvouisly  the same. But you have to spend 45 Points more for Flying and the extra 4" move. So Haunter does 15% more damage compared to points to Infernal.

If we take a look at the Abilities the damage spreads even more. Both can use Bringer of death (tripple) for more movement. Infernal can use Death Scream (tripple) which seems pretty hard when you rolled a high tripple. if you can hit 6 enemy fighters in your 8" bubble you will do (on an average tripple of 3-4) 1+3,5=4,5 damage average.

If you gonna use your double Chosen of the King, which is "cheaper" and easier to get, you get 2 extra attacks for EACH attack in that activation. 2 more attacks with strength 4 on an average opponent with 4 tougthness would be 2*(1/6*2+1/6*5)= 2 1/3 damage. when you attack twice it will be 4 2/3 damage extra.

It is far easier to spend a double than a tripple. with your tripple spend on Death Scream you need a lot of viable targets (no line of sight). 

I think going with a heavy Horror/Haunter team is our choice.

Ghouls compared to other factions minions are okay. most of the time they will hit on 5s and 6s because of their low strength. you can'T use that much abilities. healing a ghoul sound not so great. Tripple Bringer of Death with extra movement is pretty good, average move of 3-4. Quad seems to me like a sin to use it on a Ghoul or even Ghast.

My future list will be: 1x Haunter, 3x Horror, 3x Ghoul

I've thinked and to my wonder had come to "opposite" conclusion.

Infernal courtier, two flayers and four ghouls may be better option. And thats why:

We should always divide our models in shield, dagger and hammer wich comes on table in different places and at different times. So - to make use of Chosen of the King ability we need our horrors near our leader, right? But if if we will group them in one team we are risking them to arrive too late or not where we need them. And if we divide them we are risking them not to be in time near together, wasting ability and time.

Meanwhile with flayers we have not only speed to mitigate random deployment, but autonomous Skewering Strike ability wich not only gives us str5, but have a chance to stop enemies from moving. Moreso Bringer of Death from our Infernal and than Royal hunt lets one Flayer to zip through all table and smack someone being helded by ghouls.

Speaking of ghouls - they too greatly benefit from Bringer ability to keep up woth flayers and score points. Especially when you divide our team like that:

Infernal + two ghouls, Flayer + ghoul, Flayer + ghoul. Allrounder set up, able to quickly relocate and speedbumping enemy before striking where needed.

What do you think?

I’ve played a few games and I do think the 10” movement on the Flayers is downright godly. Especially as benefactor of the Royal Hunt! My Flayer was able to swoop in kill the opposing drillmaster then swoop out to safety! Though I feel for the most part all of our units except the leaders do not have high damage output and should always use swarm tactics

7 hours ago, Cataphract said:

I’ve played a few games and I do think the 10” movement on the Flayers is downright godly. Especially as benefactor of the Royal Hunt! My Flayer was able to swoop in kill the opposing drillmaster then swoop out to safety! Though I feel for the most part all of our units except the leaders do not have high damage output and should always use swarm tactics

Nice, do you also use the classic list: Infernal, 2 flayers and 4 ghouls?

Do you think WE are top or high mid tiers?

15 hours ago, Heaven_lord said:

Nice, do you also use the classic list: Infernal, 2 flayers and 4 ghouls?

Do you think WE are top or high mid tiers?

I used a Crypt Haunter, 2 Flayers and 5 Ghouls. I went against a Cypher Lords warband and was able to kill them off, but fighting against the Untamed Beasts I lost pretty bad because of their ability to make their beast fight out of activation with bonus attacks and their Leader get ultra strength attacks. I think what I could have done better was group up and really focus down certain models - but it was a objective capture mission so I was split between attacking and defending.

Question: For the "Chosen of the King" ability, can a Crypt Haunter use the ability on himself?

Edited by Cataphract

1 hour ago, Cataphract said:

Question: For the "Chosen of the King" ability, can a Crypt Haunter use the ability on himself?

I'd normally say yes to 'within X of Y model' abilities working on the fighter using it, but in this case the ability refers to a model that *isn't* the activating model, and is also asking for visibility.

I think as intended, it's not meant to work on your leader. Good way to get a horror to a very nasty state, though.

15 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So question to the group. I have the cards for FEC, but how do they play in Warcry?

Fast, punchy, and tough. They can sacrifice speed on their bruiser options to get more ghouls in. Cannot stress how fast these guys are across the board, at 5 move on the ghouls and access to a triple which is the same as an ork waaagh.

Skewering strike and chosen of the king are insane doubles. Death scream can be a surprisingly potent horde clearer if you chuck a triple 6 into it.

I think their listbuilding is quite flexible despite the base format looking very samey at 2-3 knights + X amount of ghouls left over.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, Heaven_lord said:

The haunter has the two icons so it is supposed to work on him.

on page 35 of the rule book it is written:" If a rule forn an action or ability preformed by a fighter refers to 'other friendly fighters', it means fighters for the fighter's warband, excluding itself."

in my opinion a leader (Infernal or Haunter) can't use Chosen of the King on himself. Tell me if i am wrong, but it is clearly in the core rules.

• Thanks 1

I played my first game using these guys tonight, after several games using others. I've seen a common theme, and that's the need for bodies to supplement quality troops.

My list tonight was the flying leader, the flying non-leader, the walking non-leader, and give ghouls.

Having numbers to take objectives and use wait actions to force my opponent's hand while still having several remaining activations was vital to my win.

Having fast, durable fighters to be threats drew attention away from the little guys.

It was the combined force that really did the job.

I'm planning on Orruks next, but I'm not convinced they will have the numbers to win.

First dip into WarCry... not balanced at all, but fun nonetheless.

played Infernal, 2 Flayer and 4 ghouls against some Iron-thingies... starting set up was him in the middle and the lower left, my dagger in the upper right. mission was „the messenger“ so kinda easy win for my opponent... but I almost had him. Infernal jumped up, screamed, did some nice damage (6,1,-) his messenger fled, was caught by my infernal with the quad-action, survived with 1hp, the whiff was real and stumbled off the field.

so not really an huge insight, but the game for my flayers seems fast and fun... now if only I could be the messenger 🥳

• 3 weeks later...

Am thinking about a weird list, but that might be good and fun.
Ghast Leader
Flayer
2 Horrors
4 Ghouls
The Ghast is there for "bringer of death" and "chosen of the king". The flayer for fast hits, the horrors for hard hits, the ghouls for chaff. Does this sound like a viable, or at least playable list?

Thanks for your 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted to paint some FEC and Warcry gives me a good opportunity play around with them. Seems like the biggest weakness of this band is lack of model count for any objectives game, but the ghouls are just terrible. What's everybody been using lately?

Has anybody just committed to the ghoul game and flooded the board with a bunch of ghouls, ghoul leader, and one or two horrors just for something to punch?

Did the new monsters and mercenaries book have any helpful allies to this band?

• 2 weeks later...

I just went 12:0 at a Warcry event using an Infernal, Flayer, Horror and 5x Ghouls, and must say they brutalized my opponents in every single match.  Even in an almost mirror-match the 5th Ghoul made a huge difference, out-activating, and thus out-playing a really good opponent.  With about 35 games of WC under my belt now, I feel like in the 12 competitive scenarios, that list will be dominating for a really long time.

For what its worth, nothing in the Mercs book, at least in competitive play, offers anything our army can't do better all by itself.

Also, Quads are just absurd value on units like the Infernal.  Units with high speed value disproportionately from a free move, ditto for hard hitters getting a free strike.  On an Infernal you functionally can be anywhere, and kill anything!

Edited by Neomaxim
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Ok, finally got Start Collecting FEC box. How I am supposed to assemble them?
I was initially thinking on Bat leader, Bat and Big Ghoul, as the obvious list -totally at exactly 1000 pts- is: 
CRYPT INFERNAL (LEADER) (300), CRYPT FLAYER (235), CRYPT HORROR (190), 5x CRYPT GHOUL (55)
But looking at their stats, it seems to me that fielding two 10" flying monsters could be annoying to the point of making the game unfun for my opponent (and possibly me: getting an easy victory once in a while is nice for a good laugh, if it becomes the norm it would easily make me lose interest in the warband).

I also have already ordered off eBay a set of torso+legs to make a third Flayer to have a full unit for AoS.
So I will be able to actually assemble 4 of them: a full unit of whatever I choose plus one non-leader of the other type of warrior. And I was thinking about assembling a full unit of Horrors and just one single Flayer (non leader) instead.
But list building seems a bit more problematic this way. Some options I have jotted down are:

Crypt Ghast (125) (Leader)
2x Crypt Ghoul (55)
3x Crypt Horror (190) - I would have to proxy one with the leader model
Abhorrant Ghoul King (185)
Total: 990pts / 7 bodies

CRYPT HAUNTER (LEADER) (255) 
CRYPT HORROR (190)
CRYPT FLAYER (235)
5x CRYPT GHOUL (55)
Total: 955pts / 8 bodies

CRYPT GHAST (LEADER) (125)
2x CRYPT HORROR (190)
9x CRYPT GHOUL (55)
Total: 1000pts / 12 bodies

2x CRYPT HORROR (190)
5x CRYPT GHOUL (55)
ABHORRANT GHOUL KING (ALLY) (185)
Total: 965pts / 9 bodies

CRYPT HORROR (190)
CRYPT FLAYER (235)
4x CRYPT GHOUL (55)
Total: 955pts / 8 bodies

CRYPT HAUNTER (LEADER) (255)
2x CRYPT HORROR (190)
3x CRYPT GHOUL (55)
Total: 985pts / 7 bodies

Problem is: I would like to have one flying chap in the warband AND I am not very fond of the Ghoul leader.
This leaves me with just the second build (in Italics) that wastes me 45 points.
I have to admit, though, that the 12 bodies list looks fun to try :)

Ok enough talking, sorry for the wall of text. What's your opinion? Eager to read comments and suggestions.

Edited by gabbi