Warcry - Nighthaunt discussion

Still-young

On 8/29/2019 at 9:25 AM, Bryan I Guess said:

Can't the Dreadwarden resummon as well? Thought it was just a leader ability.

Yes, either of the leaders can use spectral summons, but I believe why he suggested the Extoller is for their greater durability, speed, and damage. However the original reason you were checking your list is because you didn’t have any reapers (and hence no extoller). While Chainrasps are very hardy for low level minions (I’ve had mine stand up to stronger units for two rounds of attacks) they will still die.

All of the Nighthuant have trouble dealing damage due to their low strength. In objective based games a dread warden and chainrasp swarm would work fine but in any battle requiring you to kill enemies you’ll want the reapers for their greater damage potential as well as their quad ability. With the random nature of match ups I’d advice going ahead and picking up some Reapers and adding a couple into your rooster. While the Spirit Hosts are your most powerful unit I’ve found the Reapers to be my most reliable source of damage.

I use the Nighthuant in pick up games but haven’t been playing a campaign with them. My warband is:

Dagger: Reaper, Chainrasp 

Hammer: Reaper, Extoller

Shield: Spirit Host, Chainrasp x2

Sometimes I may swap the chainrasp out of the dagger but this is my typical deployment. Since you want to run two Spirit Hosts I would suggest:

Dagger: Spirit Host, Chainrasp 

Hammer: Dread Warden, Reaper

Shield: Spirit Host, Chainrasp x2

Edited by Lior'Lec
Typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

Dagger: Reaper, Chainrasp x2

Hammer: Reaper, Extoller

Shield: Spirit Host, Chainrasp

Sometimes I may swap one of the chainrasps out of the dagger but this is my typical deployment. Since you want to run two Spirit Hosts I would suggest:

Dagger: Spirit Host, Chainrasp x2

Hammer: Dread Warden, Reaper

Shield: Spirit Host, Chainrasp

Shield has to be a third of your miniatures included. How can these armies be legal?

So how's this look?

• Dreadwarden  

3x Grimghasts

2x Spirit Hosts

995 points. The Dreadwarden and the Extoller have the same damage output (3 A, 3 S, 2/4 D), it's just the latter has better survivability (+1 T, +4 W)... but I don't know if that's worth 45 points (I figured I'd be pushing up aggressively with the GG & SH, keeping the DW back to resummon). With three sources of Soul-marked Prey in the list I'm hoping to keep most wounding on 4+, and on turns I can get a double and a triple, the Spirit Hosts are going to be getting so much done.

• 2 weeks later...

FAQ is out. Chilling Horde is now <Double> Can only use if there is a friendly minion within 3": add 1 to attacks and Strength of this fighter.

I feel like this makes a chainrasp horde more viable. It's a rather reliable source of Str 4 attacks plus if its combined with the grimghast ability we can get Str 5 attacks.

3 hours ago, Paniere said:

so in a narrative campaign, how are the fighters killed and then brought back to game considered? Does the opponent get glory points for 1 or 2 thirds despite they came back? do they roll for deaths or not?

"Pick a friendly fighter that has been taken down. Set them up again wholly within 3" of this fighter and remove damage points from them equal to the value of this ability. They no longer count as having been taken down." 

so no,  because they do not count as being taken down, the opponent would not get any points for killing them unless they killed them again.  And as long as they stayed alive until the end of the match with at least one wound, they would not need to take injury rolls since they do not count as being taken down.

Edited by BarfAtTheMoon
  • Thanks 1

@smartazjb0y Yes, most everything can be gotten from a single soul wars boxed set including many mercenary options if you’re playing with the expansion. Add in a box of Spirit Hosts and you have all your fighter options covered. Nighthaunt can take any death faction mercenary if you already have something like a FEC or LoN collection but I believe all of the Nighthaunt mercenaries except the Knight of Shrouds can be gotten from the soul wars boxed set (don’t have the book in front of me so going off memory here).

As for the leaders it’s the Dreadwarden (Chainrasp leader, cheaper with fewer wounds and one less movement) and the Extoller (Reaper leader, costs more but higher survivability, movement, and reach). 

22 hours ago, smartazjb0y said:

I'm a little bit iffy on the names of the leaders but all of these besides the Spirit Hosts come in the Soul Wars box, correct? So if you have that, a Nighthaunt warband for Warcry should be relatively cheap and easy to start right away? 

You can have a whole warband from the tempest of souls box rather than the full price soul wars box

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

4t39psuz64e41.jpg

The Myrmourn Banshee card. What a disapointment. Mediocre stats, no range attack, no additional runemark! They didn't even bother to update the FAQ'ed Aura of Dread ability on the card.

I am really in the mood to drop this warband and I feel sorry for the people who buy this box.

Edited by Bayul
  • Like 1

its like gw is trying to sell out all their easy to build and soul wars nighthaunt stuff and the chillful horde also doesnt seem to be rewritten to give +1 att +1 strength ... but at least they hadnt forgot the fly rune this time

banshee isnt bad but a bit expensive. its a rather hard hitter for that army but the points mean there is other stuff reduced which can be brought back by the leader. one is enough to be used as a hitman for especially annoying targets, taking more means there wont be enough chainrasps to be thrown on your enemies. offensively sure, but even the needed reapers as hitters are already rather expensive, so the banshee is better with its easy to build companion glaivewraith to use the frightful touch more often than the reaping.

• 1 month later...

So how are people doing with their lists now that the Myrmourn Banshees have been out for a bit? What are people running now? I'm about to start a Warcry campaign with my friends group and we're working on a starting list for my son. He plays Nighthaunt in AoS and wants to port them over to Warcry, but we're struggling a bit coming up with a list we think will be effective after a couple practice games. As others have said, it's not a hard hitting faction (save maybe spirit hosts). We tried a horde list but found it couldn't kill a target very well. We tried a medium elite group but even that wasn't super effective.

We're going to try going ultra elite with a Dreadwarden, Spirit Host x2, Grimghast Reapers x3 next, with a huge emphasis on Spirit Marked Prey + Frightful Touch just to see how it goes. Frankly I wish we could switch out one Reaper for a Myrmourn Banshee but that takes the points above 1,000 (it's 1,005). Alternative elite lists like this could swap out two Reapers for a Banshee and a Glavewraith (so DW + SHx2 + GR + MB + GS), but then you only have one source of Spirit Marked Prey. Or we drop a Spirit Host from the original list for a Banshee and a Chainrasp (so DW + SH + GRx3 + MB + CR), but that's only one more body and I didn't think it was a good trade. But in any event we've no idea if any of this will be effective yet. 

If none of that works we might try Extoller, Spirit Host, Grimghast Reaper x2, Myrmourn Banshee, and two Chainrasps. Maybe that's the safest. But I'm very interested to hear what's working for people and how you're playing your Nighthaunt for maximum effect. I want my son to have fun. That doesn't mean he has to win everything but if he's always losing because he can't hit anything at all he's going to get frustrated.

• 10 months later...

By Nagash, this thread be raised! Join now Lady Olynder's call of mourning and spare none in the Eightpoints your icy cold rage.

We have a new book, Bringers of Death, and with it a total of 12 heros and 9 troop options. It's also nice to see Chilling Horde reprinted giving Chainrasps their +1 to both strength and attacks.

Let's talk strategy!

Prior to this release this was my most successful warband:

• Dreadwarden

• 1x Knight of Shrouds

• 2x Myrmourn Banshees

• 4x Chainrasps

Total: 985 points, 8 models

It is a nice mix of bodies and killing power, and you're not fighting for dice on abilities.

A close second would be this:

• Extoller

• 2x Spirit Hosts

• 2x Grimghast Reapers

• 1x Chainrasp

Total: 985 points, 6 models

This one handled defensive or offensive objectives well enough, but fell apart as soon as a Reaper died and the other was too far to give a Spirit Host a boost. Looks scarier than the first list, but with major weaknesses.

But now I'm looking at these others we've been cursed with. Chainghasts! With range! Banshee screams. Bladegheists Revenants with no abilities but 4 strength? Hmm, okay on that one.

And a Guardian of Souls. I am so running him next game.

What have you guys been battling with?

Hey, I'm back in Warcry after a long forced pause from Covid but now I can manage a few games a month. I'm thrilled by the new book that features more Nighthaunts ! I usually play Unmade but now that the roster is bigger I'll go with Nighthaunts for my next games.

With that said there's a lot of choice now. I think I'll definitely go with a Knight of Shroud as leader, but I'm wondering about giving the Steed or not. Having 10" move is huge, as well as the extra wounds. 

The Spirit Torment is a solid contender too for heavy hitters, but he can't regen as good as the KoS but can hit from 2". The Guardian of Souls is also a welcome addition with the ranged attack but his ability is lacklustre.

Following the large expansion to Nighthaunt's Warcry roster, I have found myself very eager to chuck some ghosts together for some spooky fun.

What do you guys think of this roster?

- Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed
- Spirit Hosts
- Bladegheist Revenants x2
- Chainrasp Horde x3

Yeah I'd love to include Bladegheists, they're my favourite models, but unfortunately their rules are disappointing. I don't get why they do only 1 damage on normals, they've got huge swords and are really good in AoS. For 10 points more the Myrmourn Banshee is better. Though with your list there's no wiggle room so I'd suggest Reapers too if you're looking to optimise a bit. Hitting from 2" is a great advantage, and the Reaper's ability helps a lot with the Spirit Host.

Though compared to the Reapers, the Bladegheists hit at S4, which mean they're less reliant on buffs to deal damage. But 1 damage is so poor that you'd rely on crits for their damage, which means they're on equal footing damage-wise with the Reapers. At least the Reapers give more flexibility, because with a double you can either mark a target and focus it down with the rest of the team, or use the universal double to get +1A/action. The Bladegheist only have access to the latter.

Do you guys prefer playing bigger but less models, horde, or a balanced mix ? There's many choices in the big ghosts roster now and they're both fast and resilient against most armies. However they're less activations/round and less bodies to contest. But I'm thinking with the rule that allows us to keep control of an objective even when we leave it (as long as there's no other enemies of course) we can play the speed game and seize early, then charge in and rack up points. Knight on Steed or the Dreadblade's ability would be ideal for this scenario.

By the way we now have access to the Unmade's Terrifying Visage on a triple with the Harridans, it's costly as a triple but being able to just freeze a dude for a whole round is a huge deal. I've played a game where I froze a Troggoth with a 85 pts model for 3 rounds. That's super useful, and I wish the Banshee had this ability instead of Frightening Touch.

I'm going to try to write a satisfying ranged list too, between the Guardian of Souls, Banshee and Chainghasts I'm sure we can manage a fun thing.

Nighthaunt strong points are

- fly

- save

The weak point is

- low damage

I prefer a mix between horde and elite. In tome of champions 19 hordes were more indicated, but with tome 2020 I think a mix is better, because there are less mission with objective control, there are more treasure and some with wounds count