Warcry - Ironjawz discussion

Still-young

You can play the game and pretty much creat a board and terrain without a problem, if you own only the rulebook. The starterbox comes with a lot of helpful gimmicks though, as you do need quite a lot of woundmarkers, activation markers and objective markers to keep track of the game. It might get better over time utilising other tools, but in the beginning it is a lot more comfortable.

In our games so far most turns are just about getting a good Waaagh. I find the basic abilities far better for us than the Warband specific ones other than that.

I have to say that I haven't looked at these yet, but I like charge as a cheap ability a lot. Waaagh is of course of the essence, as we have such a slow movement rate, and many scenarios include objective goals. Shieldbash is the big loser on those abilities from my point of view. With a high roll it can be good, but it requires an extra roll before that.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:26 PM, Eldarain said:

A Brute Boss is terrifying with the generic Quad. One shotted a full health Boingrot boss. 

Also DinoTitanEdition BoingBoingBoing is super good but it only affects one model within 1" and it forces the Squig to forgo abusing the 2" reach they have.

Yeah, that's right, I forgot about that when I wrote my little summary. I was so much in a rush to not forget how the games went, that I actually did forget, that we noticed that during the game too and put one of the Ardboys back on the field.

I wanted to play an all out Ardboy list, as I simply feel these guys don't get enough love, but in order to mix up a bit what I paint I'll try the following list next:

Brute Boss (not the one with the claw), a Brute with two choppaz, two Ardboys with big choppaz, two with two choppaz and one Ardboy with a shield. That guy I'll probably only use to wander of and take some objectives, ad he is a bit more durable than the other boyz.

Played a couple more games yesterday with Ironjawz. This time against Stormcast.

I still think Ironjawz are crippled by their 3" movement and 1" attack range across the board. Sure, when they get to melee they wreck face, but the problem is getting them there. The group with your boss is fine, being able to rely on Waaagh! to get more speed, but the other groups are essentially screwed if they deploy far from the action and/or the objectives, slogging forward 6" a turn or 8" if spending a Double for Rush.

I also don't think it's good design that one warband basically needs a decent high double or triple on the first turn(s), plus needing to activate their Leader first in every game to get anywhere.

Bottom line is, Ironjawz are quite limited and should I say boring to play. They lack variety and options that every other warband has. I also played one game with my Untamed Beasts and every turn I had a plethora of options what to do next and how to mess with my opponents plans. With the Ironjawz I feel the opponent has all the cards in his hands and I'm just playing by his plan.

14 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

The Brutez kit though, such a fun kit to convert and put together.

This is by far their best quality. Let's all pray to Gorkamorka GW will put the Brutes in their rightful place with the Orruk Warclans battletome. That being the top of the elite infantry food chain.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rumblefish said:

I mean, they ultimately play like AoS Ironjawz, which might be disappointing but shouldn't be surprising. Really missing mixed Orruks/Grots in a number of games now.

Except in AoS the Ironjawz are anything but slow. Especially with the latest GHB update adding a teleport spell and making Rampaging Destroyers a command ability instead of a random roll. If anything, Ironjawz can be made to cover ground faster than pretty much any army in AoS, across their whole army. That is not possible in Warcry.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 11:51 AM, DinoTitanedition said:

Them and a box of Brutes. There really isn't a lot of room for variation in this warband.

So what is the "standard" Ironjawz warband? Stack as many brutes as possible then fill the gaps with ardboyz?

On 8/5/2019 at 10:24 AM, DrJekyll325 said:

I picked up the Ironjawz cards last night, and I think they're going to provide the impetus to finish up the Brutes that I've had languishing on my hobby table for a while.  I'll start off building this 990-point warband and see how it does:

• Brute Boss with Boss Klaw and Smasha   (250 pts.)
  • Brute with Gore-Choppa   (200 pts.)
  • 3 x Brutes with two Brute Choppas   (180 pts. each)

Anyone played any games with an all-Brute list yet?

There are some good battle reports on YouTube. Like you, I'm using Warcry as motivation to get my Iron Jaws going again, but after several games with other warbands where the benefit of numbers has been demonstrated clearly, I think I'll need to drop a brute or two in order to get some black orcs in the list.

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

There are some good battle reports on YouTube. Like you, I'm using Warcry as motivation to get my Iron Jaws going again, but after several games with other warbands where the benefit of numbers has been demonstrated clearly, I think I'll need to drop a brute or two in order to get some black orcs in the list.

Good feedback.  Looks like I should pick up an Ironskull's Boyz box to add in to the mix.

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

That's exactly my thought. We have a spare box (wanted two sets of the cards) that I am re-purposing this evening.

So, I’m in the opposite situation. I have Gurzags box from Shadespire and 10-12 Ardboys in various configurations from playing Mordheim. 

Ideally I could call the SS guys Brutes, but that doesn’t seem great because they don’t have a good load out. I don’t want to play all ardboys though, do I?  I’m pretty much just gonna buy a box of Brutes, build 3 or so, and fill with ardboys?

On 8/9/2019 at 7:43 AM, Lior'Lec said:

... have Ironskull’s Boyz and Brutes to make his team from (I let him select a faction from those I had the models and cards for). My rough idea is the use all 4 boyz with 2 brutes; but I haven’t decided if I wanna use Ironskull himself as the leader or as just another dual weapon ‘ard boy and use the boss claw brute as leader.

Actually, also @DrJekyll325 , I've just had another look at Ironskull's Boyz and it turns out that the only one that has a use in Warcry is Bonekutta. Gurzag and Basha have the wrong weapons to match any of the Ardboyz, and Hakka is not a Brute, which is the only 2-choppa Warcry orruk.

Bummer.

8 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Actually, also @DrJekyll325 , I've just had another look at Ironskull's Boyz and it turns out that the only one that has a use in Warcry is Bonekutta. Gurzag and Basha have the wrong weapons to match any of the Ardboyz, and Hakka is not a Brute, which is the only 2-choppa Warcry orruk.

Bummer.

Honestly though, there's only one Ardboy with two weapons in Warcry.  It wouldn't be unreasonable to use them as regular Ardboys - while it's not WYSIWYG, it's easy to say "All the two weapon guys are the same."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Bummer.

Seems like it should be a pretty simple conversion to snip off one of Basha's Smashas and swap it for a Choppa from Gurzag or Hakka, no?

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Bummer.

No the entire warband can be used and still fits with wysiwyg. Take a look at their official AOS warscroll: Gurzag carries Orruk-forged choppa and smasha (so can be played as a boss or as a standard ardboy), Bonekutta wields an Orruk-forged Big choppa, and Basha and Hakka both carry Orruk-forged choppa and smasha. Yes, two of them carries dual choppas and one carries two smashas but the rules do NOT distinguish between the two. 440 points for all four if you play Gurzag as an ardboy; 520 if you use him as a boss. 

I’m currently using all four plus two brutes but I wanna convert either Hakka or Basha to a shield boy. Sadly no one seems to have a shield bit for me buy, so looks like I’ll have to buy a whole box for just the one bit (again). 

06A832E7-28D1-4F21-AA1A-062695A33132.png

Edited by Lior'Lec
Cuz

1 hour ago, Lior'Lec said:

I’m currently using all four plus two brutes but I wanna convert either Hakka or Basha to a shield boy. Sadly no one seems to have a shield bit for me buy, so looks like I’ll have to buy a whole box for just the one bit (again). 

Isn’t there a bit shop that has them? Or a local Facebook group you could ask in?

3 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

No the entire warband can be used and still fits with wysiwyg. Take a look at their official AOS warscroll: Gurzag carries Orruk-forged choppa and smasha (so can be played as a boss or as a standard ardboy), Bonekutta wields an Orruk-forged Big choppa, and Basha and Hakka both carry Orruk-forged choppa and smasha. Yes, two of them carries dual choppas and one carries two smashas but the rules do NOT distinguish between the two. 440 points for all four if you play Gurzag as an ardboy; 520 if you use him as a boss. 

06A832E7-28D1-4F21-AA1A-062695A33132.png

But this isn't using the AoS models in Warcry. It's using a-kit-containing-orruk-models to represent the orruk troops on the warcry orruk abilities card. The models do not match what is shown.

As was pointed out earlier, it's a simple conversion, but as sold, they don't match. In Warcry it's going to be very important for the models to match since individual loadouts have different unit cards and often times the appearances are already very similar between models in a warband - with the distinctions between them often coming down to only the weapons they hold.

It would not be fair to an opponent to essentially tell them to remember that "the thing that looks like the thing shown on the card is actually another thing that looks like the thing on a different card."

It's already tough to tell the differences in some warbands (looking at you Cypher Lords) even using the purpose-made models. When a player removes identification a step further it is incumbent upon that player to ensure his opponent can still identify the models at least as well as he/she could were they the standard models.

Not saying I'd deny an opponent the use of non-converted Gurzag dudes. Just discussing what I see as a fair standard and an ideal to which we can aspire.

• Confused 1

The base size of Ardboys and Brutes is noticably different. Ardboys are visually easy to distinguish:

- Two weapons

- One big weapon

- Carrying a shield

- No helmet (boss)

If you want to bring them closer to the cards, just give them regular Ardboy helmets. They'll blend in neatly. I really don't see a problem with mixing up helmet or no helmet either. Do it like in any other game. Point at the guy and say "That dude is da boss!".

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Isn’t there a bit shop that has them? Or a local Facebook group you could ask in?

Looked the other day and everywhere I tried was either out of stock or ~$10 just to get the shields (minimum orders and such). I’ll check one more time before buying but will buy the full kit before spending that much for a single bit. I don’t do FB and social media. 

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

But this isn't using the AoS models in Warcry. It's using a-kit-containing-orruk-models to represent the orruk troops on the warcry orruk abilities card. The models do not match what is shown.

As was pointed out earlier, it's a simple conversion, but as sold, they don't match. In Warcry it's going to be very important for the models to match since individual loadouts have different unit cards and often times the appearances are already very similar between models in a warband - with the distinctions between them often coming down to only the weapons they hold.

It would not be fair to an opponent to essentially tell them to remember that "the thing that looks like the thing shown on the card is actually another thing that looks like the thing on a different card."

It's already tough to tell the differences in some warbands (looking at you Cypher Lords) even using the purpose-made models. When a player removes identification a step further it is incumbent upon that player to ensure his opponent can still identify the models at least as well as he/she could were they the standard models.

Not saying I'd deny an opponent the use of non-converted Gurzag dudes. Just discussing what I see as a fair standard and an ideal to which we can aspire.

Most AoS kit can look different from the cards because of their greater customization in their kit.

Ironskull boyz is Ardboys, they have the exact same armor style, their weapon varied in look (even in the ardboy kit) ut they are still the same weapons you'd find in the normal Ardboys kit : blade, axe, club, big axe, which actually doesn't matter because you only care if the weapon is 1 handed or 2handed.

Unless you tell me you had a hard time recognize the models now because his club isn't spiky?