Warcry - Ironjawz discussion

Still-young

I’m really happy by these points and stats. Looks exactly like I was hoping for. 

Very tough and brutal warriors That are high points so it’s not to big of an investment. Get a box of brutes and you’re set. Add the shadespire set (if you play that like me) and you have options. And of course 9 brilliant mini’s to paint. 

All positive in my mind. And having a higher wounds characteristic on the brute bosses than the ogor breacher is just the icing on the cake. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Too bad their pole weapon didn't get a 2" range.

Yeah, I have no idea how valuable it's going to be. But looking at the design of the Orruk version of a pole weapon and the ones carried by the splintered fang it makes sense that they should be longer range. The extra strength seems good though. 

4 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Yeah, I have no idea how valuable it's going to be. But looking at the design of the Orruk version of a pole weapon and the ones carried by the splintered fang it makes sense that they should be longer range. The extra strength seems good though. 

If you have a long weapon and you poke someone with a short weapon, you're forcing them to spend a move action if they want to hit you. Otherwise you'll get hit back two time.

All chaos warbands had long weapons, Ironjawz will be struggling vs poke team that also shutdown movement like The Unmade.

Edited by RaiderX

7 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

If you have a long weapon and you poke someone with a short weapon, you're forcing them to spend a move action if they want to hit you. Otherwise you'll get hit back two time.

All chaos warbands had long weapons, Ironjawz will be struggling vs poke team that also shutdown movement like The Unmade.

We'll see, I do get your point though. But i'm very hesitant to draw conclusions until i've played some games. Or at least until others have played a few games testing it out. Because we have no idea if that pokey stick, which as far as I've seen does less damage as trade off, will even be able to kill the brutes in three turns while you sit on the objective. Or if the charge ability won't let you circumvent that anyway. (To be honest I can't read the abilities card, but it looks like the generic double is called charge, and don't the golems have a charge ability which is a free move if it brings you into combat?) 

6 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Sorry if it’s obvious.

...err...it isn't to me....what do you mean? I'm doing that in order to finish an old project. I have some Brutes here and might throw them in the mix later. Their numbers make seem pretty much like beasts on the field. The biss with one choppa and the guy with the gorehacka seem to make a good core. Some Ardboys with two hackaz can then fill up the ranks. But I'm not the stats guy, that's just a feeling.

I'll be going with an Ardboy boss, two guys with shields, three guys with big choppaz and three guys with hackaz and bashaz. That's a bit more numbers on the field at 1000 points.

1 hour ago, snaga said:

I need to buy Iron Jaw modules.

So for all the Iron Jaws players out there. I want to play them in Warcry.

What will you buy to build a war band from scratch?

This is the 3 boxes that you can buy

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Ironjawz-Orruk-Brutes

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Ironjawz-Orruk-Ardboys

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Etb-Ironjawz-Ironskulls-Boyz-2018

The Ironskull Boyz is 4 Ardboyz with fix loadout. But they have much better sculpt than the Ardboys kit, and also cheaper, come with scenic bases.

The easiest band that you can build is 5 brute. Should come at 990-995 points.

The other is 8 Ardboys.

And then there're the mix list.

My advice is to get the brute first, then Ironskulls boyz or Ardboys, but seriously, It'll be great if you can find someone to split the ardboys box with.

The ardboys box give you 15 ardboys, they're 3 sets of the same 4 ardboys + leader, which mean you can split it with 3 people if you want to.

Edited by RaiderX

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

This is the 3 boxes that you can buy

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Ironjawz-Orruk-Brutes

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Ironjawz-Orruk-Ardboys

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Etb-Ironjawz-Ironskulls-Boyz-2018

The Ironskull Boyz is 4 Ardboyz with fix loadout. But they have much better sculpt than the Ardboys kit, and also cheaper, come with scenic bases.

The easiest band that you can build is 5 brute. Should come at 990-995 points.

The other is 8 Ardboys.

And then there're the mix list.

My advice is to get the brute first, then Ironskulls boyz or Ardboys, but seriously, It'll be great if you can find someone to split the ardboys box with.

The ardboys box give you 15 ardboys, they're 3 sets of the same 4 ardboys + leader, which mean you can split it with 3 people if you want to.

Thanks man that helps alot

On 7/31/2019 at 8:33 AM, snaga said:

I need to buy Iron Jaw modules.

So for all the Iron Jaws players out there. I want to play them in Warcry.

What will you buy to build a war band from scratch?

For what it’s worth, but @RaiderX pretty much said it all. 

I’m going for a box of brutes, and the iron skull boys. I also have an oop model but that’s less relevant for you. 

If you do want to end up playing Ironjawz in AoS i’d suggest getting the start collecting instead of a box of ‘Ard boys and/or Ironskull’s boys. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NL/Start-Collecting-Ironjawz

that way you get 3 gore gruntas (€67), warchanter (€26) and 10 ‘Ard boys* you can use in Warcry for only €80. With the box of brutes €45 you will likely be getting for Warcry anyway you have 530 pts. Which is a great start for a nice 1K army I reckon.

* the normal €45 box of Ard boys gives you 15 boys. 

I think I'll try to play an all out Ardboy list. At 1000 points it looks like this: Boss, 2xShields, 3xGreataxe, 3xChoppaz/Bashaz

Though I'm not sure if that loadout can keep up with the other warbands. The Ardboys don't have that many healthpoints compared to the Brutes, and their speed an lack of range weapons will likely make them hard to play. Gives "Ardboys" a whole new meaning...

8 hours ago, DinoTitanedition said:

I think I'll try to play an all out Ardboy list. At 1000 points it looks like this: Boss, 2xShields, 3xGreataxe, 3xChoppaz/Bashaz

Though I'm not sure if that loadout can keep up with the other warbands. The Ardboys don't have that many healthpoints compared to the Brutes, and their speed an lack of range weapons will likely make them hard to play. Gives "Ardboys" a whole new meaning...

I’m drawn to the idea of a band of pure Ardboyz out there trying to prove they’re as tough as anyone else as well.

The really low movement of the IJ concerns me a bit. Makes me wonder if Brutes will be better because when you finally get there, you need to kill quickly since you’re already probably late to the party.

Waaargh! looks like a great ability. Roll a high-ish double and use a Wild dice, and you could get Move 7-9 on all models near your leader. Double move them up the field, and then you should be in bashing range of anything by round 2.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:01 AM, Kramer said:

GW dropped the ball on this one (same with the preytakers on the Beasts).

Against any toughness value, the two choppas do more damage on average than the gore-hacka, unless my math fails me really bad.

6,66 wounds average against T3 or less with the 2 choppas vs 5 with the gore-hacka.

5,33 vs. 5 against T4

4 vs 4 against T5

If there would be a T6 model it would be 4 vs. 3 for the 2 choppas again.

So don't waste your money buying brutes and giving them gore-hackas. No one uses them in AoS either.

• Haha 1

Played my first game with Ironjawz on Saturday against the store manager. Gore Choppa Brute krumped two characters each in one attack with crits. Brutes are overall deadly but most notably tanky. My opponent's untamed beasts got a lot of crits, but most of the time he failed to wound me on normal rolls. Ardboyz were also useful. They give us the bodies we need if we decide to flood the board. Need to give brute boss with klaw/basha another go. He didn't do too great. The Brute Boss with Boss Choppa deals equal damage to the Gore Choppa. 

While we are slow, we have a few abilities that give us bonus move actions or extra movement (like WAAAGH!, Charge, or the universal ability Rush). 

Can't wait for my next match with da boyz! 

• Like 2