Warcry- Splintered Fangs

Acid_Nine

11 hours ago, carnith said:

General thoughts on this warband.

I don't know what to do with the snakes. I end up using them for some objectives, but I have to keep them away from fighting because rarely do they do anything. Only against other mooks/chaff do they survive because any fighter who does a flat 2 damage at least ruins the snakes. Any suggestion on how to utilize them more, especially because I see people running multiple snakes. 

You say the  quad is great but somehow say you don't know how to use snake. That's the best unit to apply the quad on. They're cheap crit bait glass canon that can potential bring back huge value when you send them after high value target.

Edited by RaiderX

I get that the large number of attacks helps, but the snake is so fragile. It will always be wounded on 3's, survives best against low damage chaff because any fighter with base damage 2 will blow it up immediately. This was my main point with failing to understand the snake. It just doesn't survive against the targets you'd want to fish for crits. 

1 snake is ok.  3 snakes will blow things up and should make back their points with little effort. Don't have them charge right into combat. they are so tiny you can hide them behind anything. after an enemy uses its activations, send them in and nuke the model. They are fast and have high damage potential, they are glass cannons and should be treated as such. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all, running my Fangs in our local campaign league and have had great success so far until last night, was like 6-1.  Went in blind to my second convergence  on purpose  and just got left behind.  I didn't want to "make a list" just to beat the convergence battle so I went with what I had been playing all along plus a Chaos Lord and Chaos Thrall with my extra campaign points of having 5 territories.   It is a kill the messenger  where your opponent secretly picks a model to run off a board edge.  First guy I drew was FEC little buffing and his winged dude was gone turn 1 I  never moved a model, as my dagger and shield came in on turn 2 and my Hammer started out in the middle of the board with no chance of getting anywhere close to his stuff.    Next game was another splinter fang warband full of clearbloods and just couldn't wall off enough area with how my groups where broke up.  Shield starts way out of position and never gets into the fight.  I will have to reorganize to have  shot at winning this one, unless I get someone with slower army.

Oh well looking forward to reading some posts and  catching up!

Shield

True blood

Snake

Chaos Lord, mainly took because I like his wound count, reach and his double of +1 movement

Chaos Thrall

Hammer

Serpent Caller

snake 

snake

snake

Dagger

Venom Blood with dueling blades

Venom Blood with Blade and Barbed Whip

Pureblood

On 8/26/2019 at 7:17 PM, Casshern said:

1 snake is ok.  3 snakes will blow things up and should make back their points with little effort. Don't have them charge right into combat. they are so tiny you can hide them behind anything. after an enemy uses its activations, send them in and nuke the model. They are fast and have high damage potential, they are glass cannons and should be treated as such. 

If this is true, does anyone know of any non-GW companies making snake miniatures, that would fit onto the appropriate base?  Like maybe DnD minis or something?

• 3 weeks later...

My list currently

Shield

True

Venomblood spear and shield

Clearblood 

Clearblood

Dagger

Snake caller

Snakes 

Snakes

Hammer

Snake caller

Snakes

Snakes

Totals 990 points

I also just got in a Slaughter Priest with blood soaked axe and Gaunt summoner on disc, and ive been thinking of placing one in my roster.

Any thoughts... Also they mostly dominate, ive only lost 2 out of the 50+ games ive played.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:27 PM, mikethefish said:

If this is true, does anyone know of any non-GW companies making snake miniatures, that would fit onto the appropriate base?  Like maybe DnD minis or something?

Can´t help you with the snakes. Oh, wait, there is a game called Bushido:

https://gctstudios.com/catalog/izu-serpents

Now a question to you: I own some pretty old original GW pewter snakes and want to use them for a yet to build Splintered Fang crew. What is the base size for the snakes?

Thanks in advance

HTG

On 11/11/2019 at 2:46 PM, Hannibal said:

Now a question to you: I own some pretty old original GW pewter snakes and want to use them for a yet to build Splintered Fang crew. What is the base size for the snakes?

Thanks in advance

HTG

According to the assembly instructions, 25mm. The Truebood, Caller and Pureblood are on 32's, the Venombloods are on 28's and the snakes and Clearbloods are on 25's.

• 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, grimgold said:

I'm dusting off my splintered fang for a campaign, and I was wondering how are the original warbands holding up in warcry? I got the impression that the OG warbands are not great in comparison to the new warbands. 

apart from loads of ranged enemies on open boards, still great just because they can ignore a targets toughness, im playing part of a campaign myself and am running my fangs. Been doing pretty well, struggled against beastmen cus 10 ungor raiders. But killed the bull gor with just clear bloods so... i think they can still hold their own in melee

Been continuing to kick ass with my Splintered Fang against all sort of opponents. Snake swarms are awesome, the leader's auto-success net is awesome, and snake charmers simply have solid stats for their points. As a chaos band they also have access to the cheese that is the bray shaman, but I had to start leaving him out for being too game-breaking.

For those looking to make additional swarms, the old jungle swarms from lizardmen have a number of snakes in them while the current bastiladon kit has a bunch of extra snake bits that the Seraphon player is unlikely to need since the laser gem is better.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Been continuing to kick ass with my Splintered Fang against all sort of opponents. Snake swarms are awesome, the leader's auto-success net is awesome, and snake charmers simply have solid stats for their points. As a chaos band they also have access to the cheese that is the bray shaman, but I had to start leaving him out for being too game-breaking.

For those looking to make additional swarms, the old jungle swarms from lizardmen have a number of snakes in them while the current bastiladon kit has a bunch of extra snake bits that the Seraphon player is unlikely to need since the laser gem is better.

I like you.