Warcry - IMPORTANT terrain assembly information

Overread

https://waywalkerstudios.com/assembling-terrain-for-warcry/?fbclid=IwAR01xtfyuNIO4CphK7I3bXvO1NQctPun6eyFYL9s0T0bPJarm66J29EJDSo

The above is a link to an article which looks at assembling the terrain in the Warcry Boxed set so that the terrain matches the variations in the terrian cards. There are a few parts that the guide in the boxed set tells you to glue which you should NOT glue into place since that would prevent you from assembling the different terrain formations in the cards. 

So please do give the above site a quick read through so that you can build your terrain to use the cards if you want to approach the game that way. Of course nothing forces you to use the terrain cards at all and you can custom build your own battle tables using any terrain that you own. So don't despair if you build it "wrong"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

I know this forum doesn’t have many topics yet but in the event that the game does take off could we get a sticky on this thread? That way if similar issues are discovered with the various ravaged lands sets or other components we can post the discoveries or links here for easy reference. 

• Like 5

Thank you for posting this! I got my copy a little early and I didn't realize how terrible the actual instructions are. I appreciate that they are letting people build them however they want, but when they're including terrain cards they really should show people how to make the terrain for those properly. More than 3/4s of the buildings are either wrong or just missing entirely from the booklet. 

Edited by Grimrock

@LoopyZebra They slot into the pieces they are purpose built for, but don’t “exactly” slot into the other rooms/walls in the various locations they could go. They “sorta slot” in; meaning that they get caught on the edge of the wall but it isn’t as firm of a fit as on the bell tower and statue platform.

4 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

@LoopyZebra They slot into the pieces they are purpose built for, but don’t “exactly” slot into the other rooms/walls in the various locations they could go. They “sorta slot” in; meaning that they get caught on the edge of the wall but it isn’t as firm of a fit as on the bell tower and statue platform.

Thanks! I'm now considering if I just want to glue the stairs to their proper areas. I dont like the idea of setting up the terrain to have it fall down mid game 

1 hour ago, LoopyZebra said:

Thanks! I'm now considering if I just want to glue the stairs to their proper areas. I dont like the idea of setting up the terrain to have it fall down mid game 

maybe magnets could help? refrigerator magnet strips are pretty cheap and you can probably figure out spots of where they could go

3 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

maybe magnets could help? refrigerator magnet strips are pretty cheap and you can probably figure out spots of where they could go

That’s sounds like it might work, there is an ever so small strip of overhang along the wall where you could stick a strip magnet and then use rare earth magnets under the top step of the stairs. I’ll look and see if I have any strip magnets left around here to give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lior'Lec said:

That’s sounds like it might work, there is an ever so small strip of overhang along the wall where you could stick a strip magnet and then use rare earth magnets under the top step of the stairs. I’ll look and see if I have any strip magnets left around here to give it a try.

Let us know how it goes! I have plenty to paint without stairs so I'm going to come back to them later this week.

I'm not sure how close I'll come to the official board as I want to mount mine on squares or rectangles with a magnetic underside, so I can paint and base them to match my Aqshy themed terrain and then attach it to a magnetic whiteboard.

Idea being to be a little like a Zone Mortalis board and be able to move pieces around but have them firmly held in place

• Like 1

Didn’t have any magnetic strips, will pick some up this week if I get a chance to swing by the craft store after work but may not be until this weekend.

My own paint scheme is ending up much closer to the board than a I originally intended. Was going for a grey stone with some green undertones and decided I’d give it a wash with a blue/green wash recipe but it really kinda stained it a deep blue/green. Should’ve diluted it more. 

Edited by Lior'Lec
Additional comment

On 8/5/2019 at 11:03 PM, Lucio said:

I'm not sure how close I'll come to the official board as I want to mount mine on squares or rectangles with a magnetic underside, so I can paint and base them to match my Aqshy themed terrain and then attach it to a magnetic whiteboard.

Idea being to be a little like a Zone Mortalis board and be able to move pieces around but have them firmly held in place

D33ECAD6-A692-4577-932F-92D1054C32C2.gif.1f178cdb73c5e5ea839e45ba523e7fcb.gif

Genuinely though very good idea, can imagine that it also makes storage easier and safer. Might end up trying the same. 

• Like 1

Picked up the strip magnets on my way home this evening but sadly they didn’t work. Two rare earth magnets would hold each other with the stairs between them but the strip magnet wouldn’t even hold up the weight of the RE magnet alone.

Other ideas would be a bar style ceramic magnet or *maybe* a small bar of steel if you can find either in a size that would fit. I don’t have either so don’t know. Another idea would be glueing multiple rare earth button magnets under the overhang. If I have trouble during play with the stairs I may give one of these other ideas a go but for now I’m just gonna play with it as-is (my stairs are already painted and ruins are almost done, don’t wanna risk messing them up if I don’t have to).

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be finished with my Iron Golems this evening and decided I’ll skip the mausoleum and jump onto the shattered stormvault next. For those of you who’ve already started on this kit: are there any inconsistencies in the kit like with the ruin city that I should be aware of before starting? Also, if I set the podium risers (the bit the columns sit on top of) up one step higher than the floor height would it make setting up the terrain according to the cards difficult? 

So, just to be clear, as I start the build on the terrain from the starter box I:

Should not glue the ladder to its depicted position from the mid level to the top level on the belltower

Should not glue the stairs to the belltower as is depicted in the instructions

Should not glue the platform to the top of the statue head

Should not glue any of the walls from step 8 to one another

That leaves with just a few of questions.

(1) Should I glue the short side railing to the statue head platform as is depicted at step 6b?

(2) Should I glue the stairs to the statue head platform?

(3) I heard a rumor that there are two pieces of terrain shown in the instructions that didn't ship in the box. Do the experiences of those here who've built the terrain bear that out?

(4) I'm leaning towards using "tacky" like you buy at hobby shop to afix the different pieces together after having drawn the terrain card. Does that seem like something that would work or is likely to mess with my paint jobs?

Cheers,

Christopher

@Christopher Rowe On your top points:

The ladder from middle to top section of the bell tower can be glued, that’s just a matter of personal preference.

Correct

Correct

You can glue the wall sections of the ruins together to build the four ruined buildings. Again, this is personal preference, but for stability I would glue them. If you build and glue them according to the directions on the blog you’ll have four sections that use up all of your pieces and match all of the cards. The only reason I’d see to leave them unglued was if you wanted to expand it with other kits down the road.

On your questions:

1) No, leave part D7 unglued (I missed this one myself)

2) No, you want both sets of stairs removable.

3) Sorry, haven’t found anything missing myself and haven’t heard any rumors about missing sprues or pieces.

4) Silly Putty, Blu Stuff/Poster Tac should all work ok to hold pieces together but they’ll fall apart if someone pushes a little on them. As for the paint job I’ve used blue stuff and poster tac both as a mask when airbrushing and can confirm they don’t damage the paint underneath (assuming the primer and paint are dry and cured).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lior'Lec said:

I’ll be finished with my Iron Golems this evening and decided I’ll skip the mausoleum and jump onto the shattered stormvault next. For those of you who’ve already started on this kit: are there any inconsistencies in the kit like with the ruin city that I should be aware of before starting? Also, if I set the podium risers (the bit the columns sit on top of) up one step higher than the floor height would it make setting up the terrain according to the cards difficult? 

I haven't built it, but I read that the small platform should be built without gluing the.. grate? Onto it. That way it can be placed directly against the larger platforms.

@Grimrock thanks, noticed that one scrolling through the card. I was mostly worried on whether or not having the  pedestal bases raised up would cause problems for the bridges but it looks like they cannot be glued down anyway (sometimes they’re on long sides, sometimes on the short sides). Thinking I may pick up some block ceramic magnets or just some bar steal to magnetize the pedestal bases. I still need to get some to magnetize my varinspire ruins for easy transport anyway.

Edit: maybe tomorrow before I get done with the IG’s... seems I underestimated how much I had left to do...

Edited by Lior'Lec
In post

On 8/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, Eldarain said:

Wondering if there are any pitfalls like this with the Stormvault set. Anyone had a look at the cards yet?

I had a look at mine, and the pillars that go around the edges of the big rectangles move from deep map to map, so don't glue those down.