Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barbossal

Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Not-not-kenny said:

I would also keep to the doctrine of elves-for-elves and humans-for-humans if AoS had literally any rules differences for them besides meaningless keywords and one inch of movement stat. In WHFB I' definitely refrain from using an elf as a adwarf since elves generally don't have T4 I2 and hatred(goblins), ut in AoS they're just a one-wound model with a sword and a shield so who cares as long as you can tell what battlefield role they have? Now it might look like I'm dragging AoS for the limited statline but I'm not (well, maybe a little) I'm fine with the CoS book slimming down the unit selection to streamline the game and just encourage counts-as where the feel and strategy of the army matters more what species they are.

What I'm not fine with is removing the archers kit, that hurts more than when they blew up the Old World.

Yes, Archers looked better than the crossbowmen or guards.

Since there are no human archers any more, inclusion of Shadow Warriors or Sisters of the Watch to keep using the models is warranted. I won't reward GW by buying new sets for removal of models, and the keyword "Aelf" or "Human" isn't used anywhere, so I won't limit my model use for it.

Edited by zilberfrid

The CoS squatting will only encourage using count-as. And it's all good as it may fit better a personal narrative (ex: an all-elf army instead of mixing humans/elves/dwarves) and making use of already bought models. The narrowing amount of warscrolls will mostly give a single option (or two) per type of unit (assumption), so  will rarely be confusing...

For example, if there is only one "heavy cavalry" warscroll option (such as Cold One Knights), it doesn't matter if you use Dragon Princes, Empire Knights or whatever models, the rules will be quite evident. Assuming they don't duplicate unit types (the squatting seems to go in that direction though). Unit stats/rules are too generic between races in AoS too think model representation for a similar role might feel off or visually bizarre (as @Not-not-kenny well pointed out).

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, VBS said:

The CoS squatting will only encourage using count-as. And it's all good as it may fit better a personal narrative (ex: an all-elf army instead of mixing humans/elves/dwarves) and making use of already bought models. The narrowing amount of warscrolls will mostly give a single option (or two) per type of unit (assumption), so  will rarely be confusing...

For example, if there is only one "heavy cavalry" warscroll option (such as Cold One Knights), it doesn't matter if you use Dragon Princes, Empire Knights or whatever models, the rules will be quite evident. Assuming they don't duplicate unit types (the squatting seems to go in that direction though). Unit stats/rules are too generic between races in AoS too think model representation for a similar role might feel off or visually bizarre (as @Not-not-kenny well pointed out).

Though I do hope there will be at least one option for cold one knights next to Demigryphs.

I suspect the core of an army will be either an expanded Darkling Covens or Freeguild. They give mostly the same options with a different flavour. My optimal Darkling Covens would be Scourge Privateers, plus Shadowblades, plus the current Darkling Covens. This would give just about the same amount of heroes and units to Freeguild. Serpentis would then be a minor Dark Elf faction that is also included (or can be allied) in one Freeguild city.

Edited by zilberfrid