Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

18 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

Dont panic,im sure this dont meaning nothing.

It is 100% imposible that dragonlord is being reboxed or deleted but the black dragon isnt being or the phoenyx. Those 3 models were released at the same time and have similar price,plastic etc so if they changue\delete the dragonlord then they gonna do the same with the black dragon and phoenyx

There is already a banner on the NZ website that clearly says the models will be gone.

There's so much here and I'm sure it has to do with a big consolidation of the range for free cities, it is a lot of the oldest units going (glade guard are circa 2007 I think?), as well as a lot of specific heroes and old mounted/unmounted kits.  Thunderers/Quarellers and the Canons are old models as well.

Either way the older models are out and I'm curious to see tomorrow's announcement brings for Free Cities.  Can't imagine they put this much stuff up and say nothing.

33 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

And that doesnt mean much considering we never had suport to begin with! That is the whole point!

People with classic armies have been waiting 4 years for support, get the book  anounced  and finally..... their models removed.

One more year of broken up subfactions with no traits, artifacts and proper rules isnt a perk, it only means you wont be supported for another year before beeing dumped.

I think you misunderstood me.  I'm not saying it's a perk. I am personally  pretty disappointed by some of the changes especially the wanderers heroes.

I was responding to one person who said they wouldn't even get a single game with a newly converted model. This is not the case. They will be able to use that model and indeed any discontinued model so long as it has points in the most recent ghb. 

Again to be clear this is not a net positive but it is not quite as terrible as some users are thinking it is. 

I absolutely understand the disappointment of a player who has been waiting for years to get a battletome for their favourite faction only to see the range discontinued. 

But to lose the ability to use your lovingly painted and converted minis in the game at all, is a much bigger problem. In the case of these order minis we haven't quite hit that wall yet. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Change countries to NZ. On the initial banner,  go right twice and it will show the Last chance to buy page.

Last chance to buy does Not mean they are going away entirely.

It has in the past and could very well mean "last chance to buy in this format"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

Last chance to buy does Not mean they are going away entirely.

It has in the past and could very well mean "last chance to buy in this format"

Because that hasn't ever happened.

Plenty of things received a rebox without going last chance.

Minus the Warhammer Legends, Last Chance has meant Last Chance.

I'm still waiting for a reprint of Ushabti to pick up a box.

• Confused 1

Just now, Lord marcus said:

Why is everyone thinking we just lost all these models? Has anyone considered that they could just be being reboxed?

Literally people in New Zealand are getting emails saying "buy these models before they are gone forever" and there's a great big banner on the website that says "Get them before they're gone!"

It's not a reboxing, they're gone.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, madmac said:

Literally people in New Zealand are getting emails saying "buy these models before they are gone forever" and there's a great big banner on the website that says "Get them before they're gone!"

It's not a reboxing, they're gone.

Until GW gives up the list they promised I'm holding hope.

• Confused 1

A lot of things we expected to not make the cut, but some of these are absolutely a surprise.

Silver lining is that this opens up a good bit of design space for order, and finally cleans up the range in a affirmative way going forwards. As well as confirms, at least to me, that free cities has considerable thought behind it. It's not just a home for wayward models, but something designed to be it's own thing.

Word for those affected, I absolutely feel for you guys. Models and hobby are a huge time investment, and you have every right to be upset and angry with GW for how long it took to make these moves. Wont pretend it's wrong to feel otherwise. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Honestly what I take from High Aelves getting the axe like this is they are getting an entirely new model range down the road when Teclis/Tyrion show up. Plus Phoenix Temple, I guess.

I'm not sure if Dark Elves being untouched means they're continuing on largely unchanged or if their update is so far away that it's not worth cutting models yet.

Wanderers and Dispossessed got their oldest models removed while keeping the newer ones. That kills the ability to play them as solo factions for now but positions them well for getting DoK sized updates later.

Free People meanwhile mostly just got some of their older/less fitting models removed. They're not likely to get a big model update anytime soon and they're the poster boys of Cities of Sigmar so they get to keep the bulk of their stuff, much like Skaven.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shankelton said:

A lot of things we expected to not make the cut, but some of these are absolutely a surprise.

Silver lining is that this opens up a good bit of design space for order, and finally cleans up the range in a affirmative way going forwards. As well as confirms, at least to me, that free cities has considerable thought behind it. It's not just a home for wayward models, but something designed to be it's own thing.

The thing that strikes me as strange about this is that the decisions seem largely about metal/finecast and model count in the box rather than the actual role of the units. As it is, a lot of the things are getting squatted are things that would actually add an interesting dimension to Cities, and a lot of the things that remain are really redundant. I hope that this means we will see some significant warscroll re-writes.

Aside from that, I think that there is one very big silver lining that is largely getting ignored. If a lot of these warscrolls are going away, it will increase the justification for using the models that you prefer as "counts as". For example, when Quarrelers and Thunderers were their own thing, it was a bit questionable to take them to a tournament and say that they are Freeguild Crossbows or Handgunners. Now I don't think there is any excuse not to allow it. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

7 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

The thing that strikes me as strange about this is that the decisions seem largely about metal/finecast and model count in the box rather than the actual role of the units. As it is, a lot of the things are getting squatted are things that would actually add an interesting dimension to Cities, and a lot of the things that remain are really redundant. I hope that this means we will see some significant warscroll re-writes.

Aside from that, I think that there is one very big silver lining that is largely getting ignored. If a lot of these warscrolls are going away, it will increase the justification for using the models that you prefer as "counts as". For example, when Quarrelers and Thunderers were their own thing, it was a bit questionable to take them to a tournament and say that they are Freeguild Crossbows or Handgunners. Now I don't think there is any excuse not to allow it. 

Everything can be summed into:

• Metal/Finecast
  • Mounted/Unmounted Two Heroes kits (GW have already committed a number of horse-cides in the past, so this is likely standard-fare)
  • Old-Fashioned Dwarfs (Those not covered head to toe in metal)
  • High Elves that didn't have Phoenix in it (I hate to pile on, but you can't buy anything for Swifthawk Agents other than Shadow Warriors now either)
  • War Altar of Sigmar (I assume it's because of the equines)
  • Glade Guard (Assume its because theyre a box of 16, but we still have Dryads)

I really like the XBows/HGuns idea. Now I have to ask why GW didn't think of doing that.

4 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

Mounted/Unmounted Two Heroes kits (GW have already committed a number of horse-cides in the past, so this is likely standard-fare)

Really hope we get some kind of army with horse options in the future. I was kind of hoping against hope that they might actually bring Empire knights back with the book but they're doubling down.

4 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

Everything can be summed into:

• Metal/Finecast
  • Mounted/Unmounted Two Heroes kits (GW have already committed a number of horse-cides in the past, so this is likely standard-fare)
  • Old-Fashioned Dwarfs (Those not covered head to toe in metal)
  • High Elves that didn't have Phoenix in it (I hate to pile on, but you can't buy anything for Swifthawk Agents other than Shadow Warriors now either)
  • War Altar of Sigmar (I assume it's because of the equines)
  • Glade Guard (Assume its because theyre a box of 16, but we still have Dryads)

I really like the XBows/HGuns idea. Now I have to ask why GW didn't think of doing that.

I don't think the "get rid of all horses" logic follows, as the Celestial Hurricanum/Luminark kit still has horses, as do Pistoliers/Outriders. 

8 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I don't think the "get rid of all horses" logic follows, as the Celestial Hurricanum/Luminark kit still has horses, as do Pistoliers/Outriders.

Horses that have been axed by GW since the start of AoS: Most Empire Knights, Silver Helms, Glade Riders, and all of those Bretonnia Knights

New models that have had Horses: Varanguard

Not to mention that horses don't scream the same kind of Fantasy world that AoS has built from the beginning.