Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think Kurnothi and Dark Oath might well end up the same way - small side factions that only appear in Lore and in Underworld as flavour and never make it into AoS other than as the character units. Though GW "might" consider making their rules a bit more like the warcry teams - ergo simpler to use in a wargame setting. 

I'm totally ready to be proven wrong and would be super glad to be proven wrong, but that's just my gut feeling. Esp if GW just got rid of the high elf lion chariot kit. Then again some of those old kits have design asthetics that would never fit with the new designs. 

It's odd to me that is the feeling you get, because it strikes me as confirmation of exactly the opposite.  If GW had any interest in supporting flavorful microfactions, I doubt we'd be looking at a culling at nearly this scale.

What it looks like to me is that GW has decided what models/factions will be supported or rolled into new armies and the rest is out the door.

Seeing 34 units officially labelled Last Chance to Buy here on the New Zealand web store, doesn't smell like repackaging to me.

lastchance4pj61.png

"Last Chance to Buy - Get Them Before They're Gone - Don't miss your chance to get these Order models!"

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Thanks 2

I'm not surprised there's a lot being discontinued. They've been removing some of the older kits whenever they update an old 8th edition fantasy army. The fact that they announced in advanced that they'd be retiring kits this time, is in hindsight, a sign it was going to be a massacre. 

Edit: Dragon Blades being discontinued is a surprise for me. They're a very good plastic kit.

Edited by Forrix

Plus, to be honest, even if all 34 units disappear and no reboxing is planned, Cities will still have more warscroll than any other faction in game. Even Stormcast. So, yeah, we'll manage, somehow, but shame about some of those. 

6 minutes ago, dekay said:

Plus, to be honest, even if all 34 units disappear and no reboxing is planned, Cities will still have more warscroll than any other faction in game. Even Stormcast. So, yeah, we'll manage, somehow, but shame about some of those. 

By my count, the book will be left with about 53 Warscrolls, which is a lot but substantially less than I expected when the book was announced. It'll be about on par with or slightly smaller than the Stormcast Battletome, give or take.

I just lost  almost all my models. 

4 years waiting for support just to be Tomb Kinged.

I am beyond words.  I bought my Elves because my wife got ne Spire of Dawn as my starter box. Since  then i bought every single "high" elven models. Multiples even. 7000 points are just gone. 

It is hard to describe how hearthbroken i am. I was gladly willing to part with my no longer sold elves but the line beeing sold until now? 

Nope, not expecting this low blow.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 12
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I am beyond words.  I bought my Elves because my wife got ne Spire of Dawn as my starter box. Since  then i bought every single "high" elven models. Multiples even. 7000 points are just gone. 

It is hard to describe how hearthbroken i am. I was gladly willing to part with my no longer sold elves but the line beeing sold until now? 

Speaking as someone who gets Tomb Kinged I find that I went through the following:

1) oh what that @#$&!

2) I guess I can still play with compendium rules

3) My stuff doesn't match the world or rules support anymore

4) I'll bring these out when I feel like trying something new

5) I have a lot of extra stuff I should clear off

6) eBay it all and move on

It's brutal but if I were to do it all over I would have sold it all off right away and moved on. Rather than lose my passion for it.

I hope whatever you decide is right for you. Very sorry to hear that. :(

Edited by Barbossal
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barbossal said:

Speaking as someone who gets Tomb Kinged I find that I went through the following:

1) oh what that @#$&!

2) I guess I can still play with compendium rules

3) My stuff doesn't match the world or rules support anymore

4) I'll bring these out when I feel like trying something new

5) I have a lot of extra stuff I should clear off

6) eBay it all and move on

It's brutal but if I were to do it all over I would have sold it all off right away and moved on. Rather than lose my passion for it.

I hope whatever you decide is right for you. Very sorry to hear that. :(

6 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

You should be able to play them until the next GHB, since they have both points and warscrolls.

11 minutes ago, Ashendant said:

You should be able to play them until the next GHB, since they have both points and warscrolls.

The whole point was the support. No traits, spells , army cohesion, no artifacts, no nothing. 

There is no good side to it.

44 minutes ago, Forrix said:

I'm not surprised there's a lot being discontinued. They've been removing some of the older kits whenever they update an old 8th edition fantasy army. The fact that they announced in advanced that they'd be retiring kits this time, is in hindsight, a sign it was going to be a massacre. 

Edit: Dragon Blades being discontinued is a surprise for me. They're a very good plastic kit.

It's so people will buy blood knights 🧛‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

there's some cuts i just don't get. gunmaster, loremaster, archers, dragonblades, skycutters, all gone for no good reason.

the failcast, i get. the plastic stuff that doesn't match current AoS lore/design philosophy, sure, whatever. sucks, but i understand.

but how can they keep guard and greatswords and cut archers? archers are, in my opinion, much better sculpts than guard, and share the same design philosophy. same thing with the gunmaster.

thanking the gods i nabbed a couple boxes of archers before the bloodbath

5 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

It is all too weired. They just changed points on DragonLords, Swordmasters and Dragon Blades on a community article last month. They just printed the mercenary band on ghb 2019 just to scrap it 1 month later?

Well remember, GHB was finished and went to print while they were still putting the finishing touches on Gloomspite.

Untill be ofitial i dont think all those units gonna be deleted.

All have square base,so pretty sure all is going to be reboxed with oval.

Only gladeguard and dwarf warriors have oval bases in that list and are boxes of 16 models when the units are 10, so i think they gonna rebox it as a box of 10 or 20.

Also no chance of delete canons when they just get the mercenary 

My idea of units being deleted are the units that arent longer in the store,as reavers,lothern guard,bolt trower,dwarfs models with the dwarf keyword as slayers etc

Edited by prochuvi
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Don't forget being discontinued doesn't necessarily mean the rules are going away. Tomb kings are still in the ghb despite being out of print for years. Anything in this ghb is legal until the next one comes out. 

It's about official support, TK and bret are still in AOS but they will probably never get updated. Those deleted one probably will be the same.

3 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

Untill be ofitial i dont think all those units gonna be deleted.

All have square base,so pretty sure all is going to be reboxed with oval.

Only gladeguard and dwarf warriors have oval bases in that list and are boxes of 16 models when the units are 10, so i think they gonna rebox it as a box of 10 or 20.

Also no chance of delete canons when they just get the mercenary 

While i want you to be right, i am pretty sure that none of the last chance to buy models was on the Battletome display. 

Pick high elves for instance,  all they had on display was Phoenix Guard and Shadow Warriors.  

The only ones not on last chance to buy.

I'm incredibly relieved I didn't pull the trigger on High Elf models other than one box of Phoenix Guard. I was hovering over the buy button on some of those boxes for months.

In the end I went with Wanderers (no finecast heroes and just one box of Glade Guard, thankfully) but I feel for anyone who was heavily invested in High Elves or Dispossessed.