Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

39 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

The way I justify it is that it is more than likely that The Emperor Karl Franz would be remembered as a revered ancient saint from antiquity. His name is on Age of Sigmar models for the same reason we adorn our standards with Latin.

That works too. My city isn't *that* devoted to Sigmar though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

The way I justify it is that it is more than likely that The Emperor Karl Franz would be remembered as a revered ancient saint from antiquity. His name is on Age of Sigmar models for the same reason we adorn our standards with Latin.

passed on down from... the space lizards? did any humans survive from the world that ways to tell these tales? 

13 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

They should still be able to retool with the master miniatures

Those models were done before GW fully went over to 3d sculpting, so the molds were made made using a pantograph and a 3-up model.  I expect it would be easier to simply just resculpt them digitally from scratch now.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Those models were done before GW fully went over to 3d sculpting, so the molds were made made using a pantograph and a 3-up model.  I expect it would be easier to simply just resculpt them digitally from scratch now.

Technically, rises in the model can be filled in on the mould by hammering in metals, and engravings on the model can be ground off. Both are not very good for the mould though.

I've just taken a look of the US side of things:

US

No longer available:

• Organ gun/cannon
  • Dragon Noble
  • Glade Guard
  • White Lions

Temporarily unavailable:

• War Altar
  • Foot general (with greatsword)
  • Warrior priest (shield)
  • Unforged
  • Flagellants
  • Eternal guard/Wildwood Rangers
  • Black Guard/Executioners
  • Dragonlord on Dragon/Archmage on dragon

Australia

No longer available

• Organ gun/cannon
  • General on horse

Temporarily unavailable:

• General on foot with handgun
  • Warrior priest with two hammers
  • Handgunners/crossbowmen
  • Corsairs
  • Guard
  • Greatswords
  • Ironbreakers/Irondrakes
  • Luminark/Hurricanum
  • General/battlemage on griffin
  • Hammerers/Longbeards

UK/EU

Same as yesterday

What I can surmise: 

• Someone in Australia is building a Freeguild army
  • Aelf forces are also in demand, dark ones in particular

About phasing out:

• Archers going towards no longer available
  • Dragon nobles going towards no longer available
  • White lions going towards no longer available
  • Glade guard going towards no longer available

Weird stuff:

• General on Horse no longer available, but option for mercenaries
  • Organ gun/cannon no longer available, but required for mercenaries

We do not know whether the no longer availables will be back, but there is a chance of that happening. Next is pure conjecture:

• High elf dragon safe
  • General on griffin safe
  • Bleakswords etc safe
  • Guard safe
  • Crossbows/handguns safe
  • Corsairs safe
  • Single pose generals and warpriests safe
  • Ironbreakers/Irondrakes safe
  • Eternal guard safe
  • Luminarch safe
  • War altar safe
  • Greatswords safe
  • Flagellants safe
  • Unforged safe
  • Drakesworn knights safe
  • Hammerers/Longbeards safe

I would rather have the models of the archers and general on horse than the models of the crossbowmen and the single pose foot generals, but what can you do.

Edited by zilberfrid

Thanks for summarising it all. I've drawn similar conclusions from the same data. It looks like most stuff is probably safe for the moment, since it seems odd that they would list something as temporarily out of stock if they weren't restocking it.

For what its worth I decided to get the kits I need to finish off a couple of Aelven projects. I already have complete Wanderers and Dispossessed armies, but was a little torn between advancing with Freeguild or Aelves. Finishing off my Swifthawk, Eldritch Council, and Scourge Privateers forces only really required getting a kit each, and they were all ones I'd been after for a while. Conversely trying to complete a 2000 point freeguild army would be impractical at present. I'll wait and see what happens and if the sets are still around in six months to a year then they can be a project then.

There are still a few Aelven units I don't have, like Phoenix Guard, Darkling Blackguard etc. but I'm pretty sure that those were both featured along with the battletome in the convention photos, so I reckon they are safe no matter what. I'm not so sure whether dragon knights or lion rangers will stick around, but I don't have any of those, and have no plans to start a new allegiance at the eleventh hour.

In many ways though, this is driven more out of excitement than panic buying. I'm kind of hoping that I'll soon be able to run a massive Aelven Alliance army, comprised of all my currently disparate collections. Time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

I am keeping my hope up with the Dragon Noble. Is an awesome modern plastic model with many assembly options.

Also the US store already switched up models from one category for the other (Volkmar).

Not trusting the US store anymore 🤣

Thanks for the intel!

5 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Technically, rises in the model can be filled in on the mould by hammering in metals, and engravings on the model can be ground off. Both are not very good for the mould though.

That's entirely possible of course.  I'm just going from what I was told when I went to Games Days in the distant past when there used to be various production staff there.  Now it's all done entirely using CNC machines - the pantographs and old school tools have likely been parked in the depths of a tool room somewhere 😉

4 hours ago, Chickenbits said:

I really don't get GWs hate towards the general on horse. Good, plastic kit. Was in one of the firestorm Boxes. Popular in freeguild armies = it sells. 

It is very beautiful and versatile, more dynamic posing than some of Freeguild.

I think GW was afaid of the majesty of the set overshadowing Stormcast. They have not yet dared to touch Deathclaw, but did hit the poor horsey.

Longbeards&Hammerers have joined temp out of stock in Australia.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

It is very beautiful and versatile, more dynamic posing than some of Freeguild.

I think GW was afaid of the majesty of the set overshadowing Stormcast. They have not yet dared to touch Deathclaw, but did hit the poor horsey.

Longbeards&Hammerers have joined temp out of stock in Australia.

Which is relative b******* because longbeards are one of the few battle-line units dispossessed have that actually looks decent.

1 minute ago, Lord marcus said:

Which is relative b******* because longbeards are one of the few battle-line units dispossessed have that actually looks decent.

Temporarily out of stock is a lot better than no longer being sold, and I rate it higher than being available, because it signifies intent to restock.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Temporarily out of stock is a lot better than no longer being sold, and I rate it higher than being available, because it signifies intent to restock.

Granted. Still hoping they don't let go of them though. I had wanted to add a small shield-wall to my freeguild/free City.

5 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

Granted. Still hoping they don't let go of them though. I had wanted to add a small shield-wall to my freeguild/free City.

I think they are quite safe. If everything that was temp out of stock somewhere would be end of line, Freeguild would have a grand total of 0 units.

What I don't like, is that the models that became unavailable never hit a "last chance to buy" marker, or get any communication about them whatsoever.

Edited by zilberfrid

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I think they are quite safe. If everything that was temp out of stock somewhere would be end of line, Freeguild would have a grand total of 0 units.

Good point. However by the same token we may not have a general very soon. At least not a plastic kit

2 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

Good point. However by the same token we may not have a general very soon. At least not a plastic kit

And this worries me. Not having a mounted general simply isn't good for having diverse tactics.

Having the mounted general in a different warscroll would be perfect.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

And this worries me. Not having a mounted general simply isn't good for having diverse tactics.

Having the mounted general in a different warscroll would be perfect.

Agreed. My dear is they will leave the general to the footslogging finecrap models or just the general on griffon

9 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Our fears and hopes seem to align. Sadly, this probably will not effect GW's business startegy.

It never does.

Although they do relatively wierd business moves all the time: raising prices on models which are already the upper limit for thier target audience while simultaneously posting record profits.

4 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

It never does.

Although they do relatively wierd business moves all the time: raising prices on models which are already the upper limit for thier target audience while simultaneously posting record profits.

Oh, but that was easily explainable by the pound being at an all time high, sky high interest the last few years, less and less competing businesses with comparable quality and plastic modeling costing more per model the longer you use a mould.

Oh wait, the reverse of all those things are true?

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 2