Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

War priest with book, hammer and shield joined the "temporarily unavailable" worldwide, so that might be a sign this set is here to stay. Hammer, shield and book is one of the best unconverted configurations, I think, even though it isn't mounted. 

If the warscroll of the warpriest is changed to include the rest of the army, there is a good chance I'll buy and kitbash one or a few of them to mounted hammer, shield, book dudes, because having save 3+ with unbinding, blessing, 12" movement and 6 attacks is nothing to sneeze at, especially for 80 points.

(If my rampant speculation isn't wanted, please tell me and I'll tone it down).

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

War priest with book, hammer and shield joined the "temporarily unavailable" worldwide, so that might be a sign this set is here to stay. Hammer, shield and book is one of the best unconverted configurations, I think, even though it isn't mounted. 

If the warscroll of the warpriest is changed to include the rest of the army, there is a good chance I'll buy and kitbash one or a few of them to mounted hammer, shield, book dudes, because having save 3+ with unbinding, blessing, 12" movement and 6 attacks is nothing to sneeze at, especially for 80 points.

(If my rampant speculation isn't wanted, please tell me and I'll tone it down).

Go wild sir 😉

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, VBS said:

Every now and then we see anxious posts about models "no longer being available". 

I wonder why they would be routinely anxious? It's not like they've regularly axed models and even entire ranges without warning before /s 

"No longer available online" is different than "temporarily", the best you can hope for is a rebox with those words.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, VBS said:

One trusts they learnt a thing a two from the past :/

I don't. The proof is in the pudding, and they've removed things without any warning from the game as recently as this year.  I don't take vague asides on warhammer community at face-value, because there often seems to be a major disconnect between what gets posted (accidentally and then edited or removed later) and what actually happens.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, Fairbanks said:

It strikes me that the people who really want a few of these boxes to disappear are the same people who wanted Tomb Kings and Bretonnia removed from the GHB.

I look forward to their disappointment.

I am not someone that wants any sets to disappear. I would like the Guards and Crossbowmen sets to be replaced by more beautiful guards and crossbowmen sets, but that is entirely different, I can't currently see Free People work without guards and crossbowmen/handgunners.

I am, however, quite interested in which sets are at risk of deletion, because I want to get them before they vanish.

Even if -for instance- the General is just getting a new model, it might not be as good as this one (in my eyes), or having both options will give me more diversity in my army.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

I wonder why they would be routinely anxious? It's not like they've regularly axed models and even entire ranges without warning before /s 

"No longer available online" is different than "temporarily", the best you can hope for is a rebox with those words.

I don't. The proof is in the pudding, and they've removed things without any warning from the game as recently as this year.  I don't take vague asides on warhammer community at face-value, because there often seems to be a major disconnect between what gets posted (accidentally and then edited or removed later) and what actually happens.

There is a middle ground between the doom&gloom we often see when someone claims an item no longer available in their region (but didn't bother to check if it is the case elsewhere) and on the other hand, considering that the recent claims on the CoS article means all info will be given in due time.

If indeed they will be removing all in usual style (which is still not clear), we can then all start whining and crying about no longer throwing money at our favorite plastic toys.

That is all I pointed out.

To be honest, the people that play Dispossessed, Elves and Free Peoples got some margin to be apreensive.

Since AoS release about 4 years ago, a lot of us received no suport, no lore mentions, no artifacts, no traits, and a lot of models are not even packed on rounds bases. People are concerned and rightly so. 

Now what we got is a soup book that so far we got no knowledge of how it will play and the news that models will be cut.  We get that doubt about "will it only gona be the Spire of Dawn models?", "are they gona cut that model i love because it is old?", "are they gona remove all resin?" "does the No longer avaiable really mean it is gone?" and so on.

Ps: Good to remind that Glade Guard was tagged "No longer avaiable" in GW UK/Worldwide just to return a few weeks later.

In my particular case, "Am i gona be able to finally field "High Elves" alone or will i be forced into buying Stormcasts for Battlelines and break the overall looks of my army with stuff i dont want?".

Those things are a source of anxiety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

UPDATED LIST

Full List:

USA - Out of Stock

- Wildwood Rangers/Eternal Guard

- Executioners/ Black Guard

- Free Guild General

- Unforged

- Flagelants

- Warrior Priest (new)

-  Volkmar the Grim on War Altar of Sigmar (changed from No longer avaiable to Out of Stock)

USA - No Longer Avaiable

- White Lions

- Dragon Noble

- Glade Guard

- Canon/Organ Gun

UK - Out of Stock

- Witch Hunter

- Flagelants

- Drakespawn Knights

- Bleakswords/Drakspears/Darkshards

- Warrior Priest (new)

UK - No longer avaiable

- White Lions

- Free Guild General

- Free Guild Archers

Worldwide - Out of Stock

- Witch Hunter

- Flagelants

- Drakespawn Knights

- Bleakswords/Drakspears/Darkshards

- Warrior Priest (new)

Worldwide - No longer avaiable

- White Lions

- Free Guild General

- Free Guild Archers

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

To be honest, the people that play Dispossessed, Elves and Free Peoples got some margin to be apreensive.

Since AoS release about 4 years ago, a lot of us received no suport, no lore mentions, no artifacts, no traits, and a lot of models are not even packed on rounds bases. People are concerned and rightly so. 

Now what we got is a soup book that so far we got no knowledge of how it will play and the news that models will be cut.  We get that doubt about "will it only gona be the Spire of Dawn models?", "are they gona cut that model i love because it is old?", "are they gona remove all resin?" "does the No longer avaiable really mean it is gone?" and so on.

Ps: Good to remind that Glade Guard was tagged "No longer avaiable" in GW UK/Worldwide just to return a few weeks later.

In my particular case, "Am i gona be able to finally field "High Elves" alone or will i be forced into buying Stormcasts for Battlelines and break the overall looks of my army with stuff i dont want?".

Those things are a source of anxiety.

I just really don't want spire of dawn to go. Those models are awesome, the skaven too.

I have no idea why they canned it in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

I just really don't want spire of dawn to go. Those models are awesome, the skaven too.

I have no idea why they canned it in the first place.

Unfortunelly the sprues are mixed up, so they cant sell the sides in separate packages. So the options would be keep on printing it or removing the line. Is a shame indeed but you can use then with some creativity:

-Swordmasters = Greatswords

- Griffon = Put on larger base and use the empire warscroll.

- Spireguard = Dreadspears

- Reavers = Drak Riders/Pistoleers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

Unfortunelly the sprues are mixed up, so they cant sell the sides in separate packages. So the options would be keep on printing it or removing the line. Is a shame indeed but you can use then with some creativity:

-Swordmasters = Greatswords

- Griffon = Put on larger base and use the empire warscroll.

- Spireguard = Dreadspears

- Reavers = Drak Riders/Pistoleers

They should still be able to retool with the master miniatures

The question is if they want to - a new mould is a serious investment. GW might well want to bring back some models, but can't raise the money to justify it. It could also be that they decide to replace the model with a new sculpt, but that it might not come for 3 years or more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobeau said:

The Freeguild Mounted General's horse is covered in "Karl Franz". It took me awhile to file/scrape all that off of mine. Maybe he'll get a new horse! One can dream.

Yeah, that's why I rushed to get one. My faction leader tile is Karl, and this one "happens" to be called Franz. They could change the mould and machine out/fill in the name, or they might make a new one. If they make a new one, it is probably different, and this one I like. If I also like the new one, I'll get that one as well, but if not, I'm sort of covered.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

In my particular case, "Am i gona be able to finally field "High Elves" alone

Probably not.  There is not really a free city that is just full of high aelves. And after they remove half the units (spire of dawn stuff) you won't have enough variety for a decent army.  The book is called "Cities of Sigmar" not "High Aelves".  If you want a decent list, you'll have to use multiple factions. 

If you really want to play High Aelves in AoS matched play, wait for the new ones I guess. 

2 hours ago, Lord marcus said:

They should still be able to retool with the master miniatures

That's not how it works. Give one example of that ever happening with modern plastic miniatures.   You have to digitally redesign the sprues and then have new molds made. They will not do this.   Many old starter sets have this problem. GW has learned a bit and new sets split factions on different sprues, so at least they last a bit longer.  The Island of Blood miniatures will never return. 

45 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Yeah, that's why I rushed to get one. My faction leader tile is Karl, and this one "happens" to be called Franz. They could change the mould and machine out/fill in the name, or they might make a new one. If they make a new one, it is probably different, and this one I like. If I also like the new one, I'll get that one as well, but if not, I'm sort of covered.

The War Altar / Luminark / Hurricanum kit has the same issue. And these 2 kits are really the best kits in the whole Free Cities line up (besides the new factions that have their own tomes that can be included). So I think they will just decide for now "we don't care that it says Karl Franz on it".  They will not change the molds for sure. ( see above) 

4 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Probably not.  There is not really a free city that is just full of high aelves. And after they remove half the units (spire of dawn stuff) you won't have enough variety for a decent army.  The book is called "Cities of Sigmar" not "High Aelves".  If you want a decent list, you'll have to use multiple factions. 

If you really want to play High Aelves in AoS matched play, wait for the new ones I guess. 

Hallowhearth includes most of the High Elf range, with exception of the Lion Rangers and Swifthawks ( the bulk of the Spire of Dawn) for a total of 17 Warscrolls. All of then have conditional Battlelines ( Dragon Blades, Phoenix Guard and Swordmasters).  If Hallowhearth uses any of those units as Battleline, then yes, you can field all the former High elves, since you would still be able to ally the Swifithawks with the ally rule.  Hamerhall also uses all the current Order Range.

All GW have to do to allow full elven armies if to remove the conditional "battleline IF" or make it something like "Battleline if Hallowheath" or Battleline if General is from Order Draconis" or "Battleline if the General is Aelf" for example.

Considering that Free Peoples, Dwarfs and Elves players have been waiting for a BT for such a long time, it would be a pointless book if it doesnt allow "pure" armies.  Dispossessed fans will want the option to play Duardin only armies, same will go to elves and Free Peoples, otherwise the book wont be different than current Firestorm or GA Order.  

If we are gona get Steamtank battlelines it doesnt seen like a stretch to me.

18 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

The War Altar / Luminark / Hurricanum kit has the same issue. And these 2 kits are really the best kits in the whole Free Cities line up (besides the new factions that have their own tomes that can be included). So I think they will just decide for now "we don't care that it says Karl Franz on it".  They will not change the molds for sure. ( see above) 

Oh, I think it will be okay, but I did not pay much extra (3€) and now I'm both certain and I'll have it sooner.

6 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Hallowhearth includes most of the High Elf range, with exception of the Lion Rangers and Swifthawks ( the bulk of the Spire of Dawn) for a total of 17 Warscrolls. All of then have conditional Battlelines ( Dragon Blades, Phoenix Guard and Swordmasters).  If Hallowhearth uses any of those units as Battleline, then yes, you can field all the former High elves, since you would still be able to ally the Swifithawks with the ally rule.  Hamerhall also uses all the current Order Range.

All GW have to do to allow full elven armies if to remove the conditional "battleline IF" or make it something like "Battleline if Hallowheath" or Battleline if General is from Order Draconis" or "Battleline if the General is Aelf" for example.

Considering that Free Peoples, Dwarfs and Elves players have been waiting for a BT for such a long time, it would be a pointless book if it doesnt allow "pure" armies.  Dispossessed fans will want the option to play Duardin only armies, same will go to elves and Free Peoples, otherwise the book wont be different than current Firestorm or GA Order.  

If we are gona get Steamtank battlelines it doesnt seen like a stretch to me.

For Freeguild, GW considers the nigh immortal 10ft tall tools of Sigmar that do not even have regular metabolism anymore human, so they might force us that way.

Then make Aelven and Duardin Sigmarines and you can replace everything gradually with shoulderplates the size of car bonnets.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

For Freeguild, GW considers the nigh immortal 10ft tall tools of Sigmar that do not even have regular metabolism anymore human, so they might force us that way.

Then make Aelven and Duardin Sigmarines and you can replace everything gradually with shoulderplates the size of car bonnets.

Doesnt freeguild have like 4 or so Order battleline options and some more with "Free Peoples" alligence? Archers/Crossbows/Handgunners and Guard?

I think elves in Firestorm have Glade Guard and Reavers (that will probably be removed) as Battlelines. All other 4 are conditional to mini factions with 3 or so models.  Maybe with most Swifthawks from Spire of Dawn going away, Shadow Warriors are gona become a new Order BL or Living city BL.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

My faction leader tile is Karl, and this one "happens" to be called Franz.

The way I justify it is that it is more than likely that The Emperor Karl Franz would be remembered as a revered ancient saint from antiquity. His name is on Age of Sigmar models for the same reason we adorn our standards with Latin.

17 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Doesnt freeguild have like 4 or so Order battleline options and some more with "Free Peoples" alligence? Archers/Crossbows/Handgunners and Guard?

I think elves in Firestorm have Glade Guard and Reavers (that will probably be removed) as Battlelines. All other 4 are conditional to mini factions with 3 or so models.  Maybe with most Swifthawks from Spire of Dawn going away, Shadow Warriors are gona become a new Order BL or Living city BL.

Free people currently have enough choice for battlelines, only outriders/pistoleers and the generals are not battleline.

I was half-joking of course, but I have often heard "just ally in *SCE unit*" if I lament an option does not exist in Freeguild.

The entire Aelves need to be redesigned, this was never a situation that could stay, and taking a few options away makes them entirely unplayable.