Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

I could see Slaves to Darkness losing the finecast models in their range as they are all leaders and there are plastic alternatives. So that would be many of the "exalted chaos lords" and the exalted chaos lord on mount. That would still leave them with chaos warlords and a mounted lord and mage atop the manticore

After that the marauders could be at risk if GW intends to replace them with the Warcry Warbands. Depends really on GW's attitude toward the Warbands and Slaves to Darkness. I can't see GW dropping chaos warriors and knights and such unless they were to replace them.

I'd also expect to see "creatures of Chaos" listing lost on the GW store, with the models in it simply being included in their respective armies that they fit into. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

I could see Slaves to Darkness losing the finecast models in their range as they are all leaders and there are plastic alternatives. So that would be many of the "exalted chaos lords" and the exalted chaos lord on mount. That would still leave them with chaos warlords and a mounted lord and mage atop the manticore

After that the marauders could be at risk if GW intends to replace them with the Warcry Warbands. Depends really on GW's attitude toward the Warbands and Slaves to Darkness. I can't see GW dropping chaos warriors and knights and such unless they were to replace them.

I'd also expect to see "creatures of Chaos" listing lost on the GW store, with the models in it simply being included in their respective armies that they fit into. 

I could see StD lose their Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, Chaos Warriors and Chaos Knights.

They already have chosen and Varanguards, and things like the Kairic Acolytes could well be the way forward, with Warcry sets having that nice expensive stopgap for the tiers under chosen.

It would also retain their "kill all horses" theme.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I could see StD lose their Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, Chaos Warriors and Chaos Knights.

They already have chosen and Varanguards, and things like the Kairic Acolytes could well be the way forward, with Warcry sets having that nice expensive stopgap for the tiers under chosen.

It would also retain their "kill all horses" theme.

Chaos Warriors are about as heavy a staple in the setting as you can get being as they are the primary enemy of Stormcast - I can only see them getting new sculpts not removed. Meanwhile Chosen are finecast, it would be nuts to make them the main battleline warrior for Slaves to Darkness. 

Meanwhile Varanguard are elite mounted troops akin to leaders; so again not competing with chaos knights. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Overread said:

Chaos Warriors are about as heavy a staple in the setting as you can get being as they are the primary enemy of Stormcast - I can only see them getting new sculpts not removed. Meanwhile Chosen are finecast, it would be nuts to make them the main battleline warrior for Slaves to Darkness. 

Meanwhile Varanguard are elite mounted troops akin to leaders; so again not competing with chaos knights. 

You have a point (though the iron drakes vs thunderers come to mind for the Varanguard). The marauders and their horsemen I would think are not long for this world though.

The reason why I would think the Chaos warriors and Knights are going out is their price, they are priced quite low for newer lines.

They are not selling well. The StD godsworn hunt has been sitting in last chance to buy since before I was even in the hobby.

In the same vein I expect the Freeguild Guard and Crossbowmen to go away, GW wants unit boxes to be more expensive than them, and I don't recall them having upgraded a box with the same warscroll.

Edited by zilberfrid

I could certainly see Chaos Knights and Marauders being discontinued. The Knights  have been largely supplanted by flashier cavalry Bloodchrushers, Blightlords Etc. Same with Marauders and the god specific dudes and the Warcry stuff. I already use my twohanded  weapon Marauders as Bloodreavers. 

The same may be true for the vanilla  Chaos warriors but I’d wait to see what Darkoath brings on that score. 

We are seeing the Order cut occurring with Cities of Sigmar, the Death and Destruction ones have already happened so Chaos may have a bit of a trim. 

Of course in the majority of case discounted production has not meant removal from the rules 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I could certainly see Chaos Knights and Marauders being discontinued. The Knights  have been largely supplanted by flashier cavalry Bloodchrushers, Blightlords Etc. Same with Marauders and the god specific dudes and the Warcry stuff. I already use my twohanded  weapon Marauders as Bloodreavers. 

The same may be true for the vanilla  Chaos warriors but I’d wait to see what Darkoath brings on that score. 

We are seeing the Order cut occurring with Cities of Sigmar, the Death and Destruction ones have already happened so Chaos may have a bit of a trim. 

Of course in the majority of case discounted production has not meant removal from the rules 

It has not meant direct removal from the rules, many of the discontinued Destruction models are now gone from the rules as well.

In any case, at the CoS reveal, they stated that the models they cut would join Warhammer Legends, i.e. being removed from the game.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

It has not meant direct removal from the rules, many of the discontinued Destruction models are now gone from the rules as well.

In any case, at the CoS reveal, they stated that the models they cut would join Warhammer Legends, i.e. being removed from the game.

Gitmob are probably the only example of removal from the rules, I did say “majority” not all. 

Theres plenty of models with both Legends and AoS rules. There’s no particular precedent to your claim on that score. May or may not be the case we’ll have to wait and see.  

On a slight tangent a lot of character models were discontinued for the arrival of CoS are Freeguild really only going to have leaders mounted on Griffons?   Also Freeguild  come on 10 man sets so I’d expect them to be beefed up to 20 man sets.  How about this for a crazy idea what if they chucked in a sprue of thunderers instead of extre human handgunners for a CoS missile troops set?  Unlikely but it would fit with the narrative 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

Unless they start scrapping Ogre models I can't see much changing in Destruction, they've had their cull.

I think some ogres are potentially on shaky ground, and it really depends on the future of BCR.

If the BCR ice/snow aesthetic is dropped, and the Start Collecting stuff is folded into Mawtribes, then Yhetees, Icebrow Hunter and Frost Sabres are as good as gone.

Conversely, BCR might be seen as unique enough to not only remain, but even get the above models replaced with new plastic kits. Both extremes are possible at this point.

Of course, the middle ground of remaining as one of two options (i.e. in addition to Gutbusters) in an Ogre tome is the most likely option, with the same crappy Yhetee and cat Finecast being retained.

I don't know much about Gutbusters, but I would be worried about Gnoblars, Firebellies, Gorgers and, following some recent squatting of mercenary options, even the various Maneaters.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of predicting cuts/replacements I’d imagine we could see some cuts from the Mawtribes book. They have a substantial amount of Resin that could easily be replaced. 

It’d be safe to say the old Tyrant kits gone.

Maneaters and the Firebelly are probably at risk, being the units they’ve shown the least support/commitment to. 

The Butcher could easily be replaced by a plastic kit, but that all depends on the toe of release the Mawtribes will get. Yhetees and the Gorger are most likely not going anywhere but again, could easily be replaced. 

Icebrow Hunter and Sabre’s are probably safe, though there has been that rumor about them being in an Underworlds team. 

52 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

On a slight tangent a lot of character models were discontinued for the arrival of CoS are Freeguild really only going to have leaders mounted on Griffons?   Also Freeguild  come on 10 man sets so I’d expect them to be beefed up to 20 man sets.  How about this for a crazy idea what if they chucked in a sprue of thunderers instead of extre human handgunners for a CoS missile troops set?  Unlikely but it would fit with the narrative 

There still is the Empire captain, it has the worst loadout possible, and the ugliest model, but it does use the General warscroll. The general on griffin has a wildly different command ability.

I do not think they will increase unit numbers, all new units are with a lower amount of units, not a higher one, and even if, they would not add the discarded sprues in the new sets.

If Freeguild gets a new missile troop, I expect a second culling where the battleline remaining is greatswords, and the guards and crossbowmen are removed.

11 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

There still is the Empire captain, it has the worst loadout possible, and the ugliest model, but it does use the General warscroll. The general on griffin has a wildly different command ability.

I do not think they will increase unit numbers, all new units are with a lower amount of units, not a higher one, and even if, they would not add the discarded sprues in the new sets.

If Freeguild gets a new missile troop, I expect a second culling where the battleline remaining is greatswords, and the guards and crossbowmen are removed.

Ah good call on the monopose captain I’d forgotten him. 

I didn’t mean number of units increasing you are very correct the number of units in total has tended to go down. I meant the number of models in a box which they’ve tended to increase for boxes like that to 20 

4 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Ah good call on the monopose captain I’d forgotten him. 

I didn’t mean number of units increasing you are very correct the number of units in total has tended to go down. I meant the number of models in a box which they’ve tended to increase for boxes like that to 20 

Could you tell me which boxes that would be? I am sort of new, I don't know all that much about anything from before the end of may.

7 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Could you tell me which boxes that would be? I am sort of new, I don't know all that much about anything from before the end of may.

Black Orcs to Ard boys and Savage Orcs to Savage Orruks spring to to mind where the number of models of models in the box went up. As did the Bloodchrushers.  They didn’t add in extra sprues from other sets with them. They did with a couple of the FEC sets though 

3 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Black Orcs to Ard boys and Savage Orcs to Savage Orruks spring to to mind where the number of models of models in the box went up. As did the Bloodchrushers.  They didn’t add in extra sprues from other sets with them. They did with a couple of the FEC sets though 

Thanks! It is a possibility, but I think they will not put any effort in this set. It already makes a MSU, and GW does not even care enough to change the URL on the website of every model (nor the sticker when you buy them).

20 hours ago, Charleston said:

I look forward for the "Sylvaneth killed the Radio Star Greywater Fastness" Lore.

Btw, I have 2 Boxes full of "Assault on Skull Pass" Dworfs. Any Idea how to use them now? Terrain? Basing Material? Tought about some Stoned Dworfs, like in Guild Wars Lore, that are statues now.

The miner models are some of my favorite, you should definitely use them as Longbeards, as @Skreech Verminking said. Be sure to put the wheelbarrow in there, too!

The cannon could be repurposed for the armament of of some mobile artillery, a la Gyrocopter or even allied Kharadrons (which is going to be a thing, I'm very certain, since their mobile gunships are way better than a stationary war machine anyway). Depending on your whimsy, I'd model it to be some kind of clockwork aparatus on legs, or a dirigible floating gun platform with double cannons (since you have two boxes) or whatever suits you! Just take a look at what you want it to represent before you start putting it together.

4 hours ago, Overread said:

Just look at Skaven, GW clearly doesn't want all those old plastics, finecast and metal models; but at the same time they didn't want to drop them when they've likely got plans to replace them at some stage. However alongside that they simply haven't got the room to add that whole slot of production - so the models remained and they kept them on. 

In the case of Skaven, they probably have a sizable backlog of Finecast models still, because AoS 1.0 factionalized them so much that they were a literally unfieldable army for most players, even if they had sizable collections. It's a shame about the Rat Ogres though, they are hideous sculpts and among the first multi-pose plastics produced, and they need greenstuff just to even look decent, especially around the joints.

5 hours ago, Overread said:

I wouldn't expect them to release a 2.0 Tome and then later start removing more models. It would unsettle the AoS fanbase FAR too much in general and that would make it very hard to sell - esp after all the unsettling they've done thus far. 

As much as I think people are over reacting to this culling if GW released a battletome then discontinued the army in 6 months I'd be on my way out. Anything that winds up in CoS is going to be safe for the foreseeable future.

I'm pretty sure some factions are going to be partially squatted in the future. If I had to guess I would say Bonesplitterz, Gutbusters, Beastclaw Raiders, Seraphon, Slaves to Darkness are going to through some minor squattings,

LEXICANUM

Finished uploading all the images on the Lexicanum, through I was pretty lazy on the names

44 minutes ago, Ashendant said:

I'm pretty sure some factions are going to be partially squatted in the future. If I had to guess I would say Bonesplitterz, Gutbusters, Beastclaw Raiders, Seraphon, Slaves to Darkness are going to through some minor squattings,

LEXICANUM

Finished uploading all the images on the Lexicanum, through I was pretty lazy on the names

Blimey Bonesplitterz only have two box sets !! Loosing anything would be pretty major. 

High possibility of some Ogor trimming with a new book coming though I might guess at Gnoblars 

Edited by Ollie Grimwood

12 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Blimey Bonesplitterz only have two box sets !! Loosing anything would be pretty major. 

It's not the units, it's the three finecast heroes. Not to mention their one plastic hero comes with a built in square base that includes part of his foot. Would be nice to see some replacements but with the merged Orruk book I'm not sure how likely that is.

Similar problem to Ogors and their extensive range of finecast heroes/units that will probably be fully or mostly purged with the Mawtribes book.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, madmac said:

It's not the units, it's the three finecast heroes. Not to mention their one plastic hero comes with a built in square base that includes part of his foot. Would be nice to see some replacements but with the merged Orruk book I'm not sure how likely that is.

Similar problem to Ogors and their extensive range of finecast heroes/units that will probably be fully or mostly purged with the Mawtribes book.

Good point, though it wouldn’t  really affect them all the characters can be made out of the plastic sets pretty easily as could a mounted missile unit. 

Edited by Ollie Grimwood

Seraphon also deserve mention, they have no less than 11 different finecast kits, and even a lot of their plastics are badly in need of replacement.

Makes me wonder a bit about all the rumors of the Seraphon release being pushed back, I could see squatting a third of their range without replacements or upgrades for existing kits not going particularly well.

They could always give them the Skaven treatment instead, but who knows.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, madmac said:

Seraphon also deserve mention, they have no less than 11 different finecast kits, and even a lot of their plastics are badly in need of replacement.

Makes me wonder a bit about all the rumors of the Seraphon release being pushed back, I could see squatting a third of their range without replacements or upgrades for existing kits not going particularly well.

They could always give them the Skaven treatment instead, but who knows.

Highly unlikely they would squat seraphon. They've always sold well due to the dinosaurs riding dinosaurs asthetic.

Furthermore when AoS released the seraphon the getting started sold like literal hotcakes.