Squatting Watch: Alerts for Discontinued Models

1 minute ago, Overread said:

A good few are "out of stock" but not showing it on the store page until you click on the item, Skycutter is already listed as such on the UK store. It's a shame GW isn't doing more casting runs of the models for a "last week to order" which, whilst it might hammer their production, would at least give more people a chance rather than fighting over the last stocks (esp as GW isn't holding much stock of things these days). 

came back to tell this.

Available:

• Loremaster
  • Chariots
  • Warriors
  • Swordmasters
  • Quarrelers
  • Dragon

The rest is already gone.

Wow that is a big number of kits going.. as a dwarf player I won't miss the thunderers or the warriors - I'm lucky to have older metals. But there are some really nice models going out of production. This was always going to happen though- they can't keep things in stock indefinitely, especially when AoS was all about allowing them to bring in new factions and explore new races. Sad to see a lot of this go but I think they will be replaced by AoS versions- which could be very interesting AoS style Free Peoples etc.. [not just more stormcast]. You can see the wood elves have been developed into the Sylvaneth and now the Kurnothi, I imagine they have plans for the regular humans too so I hope you guys get to see new exciting stuff in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Well thanks GW, I won't need the Cities of Sigmar book after all it seems. At this point i'd have rather they just had axed High Elves at the same time as Brets and Tomb Kings instead of this giant mess they've made of the army that largely got me into fantasy to begin with.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, firebat said:

Well thanks GW, I won't need the Cities of Sigmar book after all it seems. At this point i'd have rather they just had axed High Elves at the same time as Brets and Tomb Kings instead of this giant mess they've made of the army that largely got me into fantasy to begin with.

The one hope is that there is supposed to be 2 aelf armies coming - though we've never really had confirmation from GW, just lots of not-subtle lore drops. Certainly for Malarion's "dragon" like aelves from the land of shadow. So perhaps many of your models will get use in those new forces when they come as alternate sculpts. Though its impossible to guess at right now and iwth Sisters of Battle confirmed and a new death faction all but confirmed its unlikely we'll see either of the aelf armies this year. Which is honestly a huge surprised because adding a 4th death faction was never really hinted at in the lore as early as adding those two aelf forces.

The other shocks are things like the dwarf cannon - not just iconic but GW released rules for using them as mercenaries only a few weeks ago. This might be their insane internal divisions showing up issues for customers again. Their mania to protect against leaks meaning that one department develops something another is going to axe. 

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

The other shocks are things like the dwarf cannon - not just iconic but GW released rules for using them as mercenaries only a few weeks ago. This might be their insane internal divisions showing up issues for customers again. Their mania to protect against leaks meaning that one department develops something another is going to axe. 

Also the general on horse, the only general we now have is the ugliest one someone could find with a loadout noone would ever choose. I would not even put this guy in a Greatsword unit.

Taking a moment to look at what's left for Cities of Sigmar, just as a thought exercise:

Dispossessed:

1. Warden King

2. Rune Master

3.  Longbeards

4. Ironbreakers

5. IronDrakes

6. Hammerers

Elves:

1. Sorceress

2. Black Ark Fleetmaster

3. Assassin

4. Nomad Prince

5. Frost Phoenix

6. Fire Phoenix

7. Dreadlord on Black Dragon

8. Sorceress on Black Dragon

9. Black Ark Corsairs

10. Drakespawn

11. Dark Riders

12. Bleakswords

13. Dreadspears

14. Dark Shards

15. Wild Riders

16. Sisters of the Thorn

17. Scourgerunner Chariot

18. Drakespawn Chariot

19. Sisters of the Watch

20. Shadow Warriors

21. Kharibdys

22. Hydra

23. Wild Wood Rangers

24. Eternal Guard

25. Excecutioners

26. Black Guard

Free People:

1. General

2. Cogsmith

3. Battle Wizard

4. Battlemage on Griffon

5. Hurricanum

6. Luminark

7. General on Griffon

8. Crossbowmen

9. Guard

10. Helblaster

11. Handgunners

12. Rocket Battery

13. Pistoliers

14. Outriders

15. Greatswords

16. Gyrocopter

17. Gyrobomber

18. Demigriff Knights

19. Steamtank

20. Flaggelants

52 unit listings, slightly more warscrolls than that due to some added variations, but basically a book about the same size as Stormcast.

• Like 4

Oh there's still a lot left and some fantastic models - pheonix, hydras etc..... It's just that some of the lost ones are a bit of a shock. I did wonder if glade guard would vanish since there were better and newer archer models in the force. But things like losing one dragon kit and the sky cutter are big surprises. 

Man so much being squatted. I’m surprised Volkmar’s going, Alhough it not quite for me I always thought it was quite a neat kit. 

i do wonder how much thats sold out from the list has been bought by people trying to get what units they can, and what amount are people trying to make a quick buck on eBay?

41 minutes ago, Overread said:

The one hope is that there is supposed to be 2 aelf armies coming - though we've never really had confirmation from GW, just lots of not-subtle lore drops. Certainly for Malarion's "dragon" like aelves from the land of shadow. So perhaps many of your models will get use in those new forces when they come as alternate sculpts. Though its impossible to guess at right now and iwth Sisters of Battle confirmed and a new death faction all but confirmed its unlikely we'll see either of the aelf armies this year. Which is honestly a huge surprised because adding a 4th death faction was never really hinted at in the lore as early as adding those two aelf forces.

I think the removal of the dwarf units clears the way for the future - the rumour of Grungni now building something new in the realms [according to a snippet from the Fyreslayers book] so another dwarf faction in the future. 

25 minutes ago, silverstu said:

I think the removal of the dwarf units clears the way for the future - the rumour of Grungni now building something new in the realms [according to a snippet from the Fyreslayers book] so another dwarf faction in the future. 

Totally. It's pretty clear looking at what was cut and what was kept that consideration for AoS lore/books (Yo, Skycutter) or building a coherent cities army had little or nothing to do with what was spared or not.

They kept the newer plastic models that could be used for future armies and cut the rest without hesitation.

Freeguild being a semi-exception here, in that it doesn't particularly matter exactly what elf and dwarf models make the cut for battletome purposes, but the human forces being the backbone/main point of the book had to maintain some sort of internal coherency. They still trimmed a lot of fat from Freeguild but some older kits had to stay for them until they get a replacement.

I'm now making some enemies here but got to be honest - I LOVE that last move of GW. Seriously. I know some of you feel let down but on the other hand, how long have those minis been available to buy? 10 years? It's no surprise that products disappear and are replaced by newer ones. You had lot of time to have joy with those minis. Some factions might be abandoned which might make you sad or angry. If I were to guess - Free Peoples and Dispossessed. Some will be reimagined or updated which imho is great. I'm thinking all the elves. Your minis had their time and still can give joy. As your collection and in games. Maybe only tournaments will be a no go. Maybe you will actually like where GW is taking your army. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

The book could be boiled down to: 

• Duardin (Dispossessed + Ironweld)
  • Free Peoples (Freeguild + Devoted + Collegiate Arcanum) 
  • Dark Aelves (All the Dark Aelf stuff survived basically) 
  • Wanderers - Primed for an expansion, Kurnothi being likely 
  • Phoenix Temples - Being the only survivors of the High Aelf Nuking of 2019 bodes well for them. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aryann said:

I'm now making some enemies here but got to be honest - I LOVE that last move of GW. Seriously. I know some of you feel let down but on the other hand, how long have those minis been available to buy? 10 years? It's no surprise that products disappear and are replaced by newer ones. You had lot of time to have joy with those minis. Some factions might be abandoned which might make you sad or angry. If I were to guess - Free Peoples and Dispossessed. Some will be reimagined or updated which imho is great. I'm thinking all the elves. Your minis had their time and still can give joy. As your collection and in games. Maybe only tournaments will be a no go. Maybe you will actually like where GW is taking your army. 

If they had done this at launch, sure.

They did not. They strung people along for four years, hinting at them in lore, and now phase out their armies.

• Like 6

Just now, zilberfrid said:

They did not. They strung people along for four years, hinting at them in lore, and now phase out their armies.

These armies will get new rules in the upcomming CoS battletome and can be updated in the future. That's a compromise. 

2 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

The book could be boiled down to: 

• Duardin (Dispossessed + Ironweld)
  • Free Peoples (Freeguild + Devoted + Collegiate Arcanum) 
  • Dark Aelves (All the Dark Aelf stuff survived basically) 
  • Wanderers - Primed for an expansion, Kurnothi being likely 
  • Phoenix Temples - Being the only survivors of the High Aelf Nuking of 2019 bodes well for them. 

Phoenix temples with the remains of the high elves, which is Shadow Warriors and not much else.

3 minutes ago, The World Tree said:

Just because the models are going away doesn't mean the rules are - they are still matched play legal.

And how people not owning those minis are gonna use those rules if they want to play said miniatures/battalions/Warscrolls ?

1 hour ago, Kronos said:

Man so much being squatted. I’m surprised Volkmar’s going, Alhough it not quite for me I always thought it was quite a neat kit. 

i do wonder how much thats sold out from the list has been bought by people trying to get what units they can, and what amount are people trying to make a quick buck on eBay?

Sadly, way too much I guess. I ****** loathe that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

My toughts exactly.  When i saw Skaven Battletome i was excited for the future. This BT made me hype so much and now i got a lot of models that are so light it can be used as paper weight

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maturin said:

And how people not owning those minis are gonna use those rules if they want to play said miniatures/battalions/Warscrolls ?

These models have existed for many years. Those who have been in the hobby for years have had plenty of chance to purchase. I think they are right to overhaul older armies to develop new - some of the unit choices are odd, granted - so long as the rules remain supported. They are matched play legal per GHB19.

• Like 1

It doesn't exactly build confidence for the future of the faction if this is what we see first.

If we even get one or two new plastic kits that would mean a huge deal for the future of CoS.

I dont expect that though, and it makes me wonder how many miniatures will stick around for CoS 2.0 (or if a CoS 2.0 would even happen).

• Like 2