Warcry- Corvus Cabal Discussion

S133arcanite

59 minutes ago, Absolution black said:

Can't wait until next week. Probably my most anticipated warband!

Look at it way, if you got the starter set, then you have a week to build the terrain and read rules, before you get them and can build em. Atleast that is how Iam distracting myself from them not being in my hands at the same time as the rest.

• Like 1

Just now, Absolution black said:

I guess I should look at it like that! I do have the starter set, hysh gang and the mausoleum set on order so plenty to occupy me for a week!

Starter set and mausoleum for me too, but only really intereste in Corvus Cabal of the warband shown for now.

4 hours ago, Kristensen said:

Starter set and mausoleum for me too, but only really intereste in Corvus Cabal of the warband shown for now.

I don't know if you had noticed but Mausoleum is a bad field to accompany Corvus Cabal.  The Mausoleum is flat with nothing to climb to,  that'd make 3 of their abilities useless.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

I don't know if you had noticed but Mausoleum is a bad field to accompany Corvus Cabal.  The Mausoleum is flat with nothing to climb to,  that'd make 3 of their abilities useless.

I know, plan to pick up as many terrain packs as I can afford, as my primary game is AoS and don't have terrain of my own. 

1 hour ago, Kristensen said:

I know, plan to pick up as many terrain packs as I can afford, as my primary game is AoS and don't have terrain of my own. 

Depend on price, I'd suggest you to pick up the Shattered Stormvault instead, they have very tall and flat pillars that'd make some interesting climb and swooping dive.

Plus I'm also not a fan of the Mausoleum, GW remove some sprues from the kit (compared to the separated Mausoleum) They used to pack you the whole things plus some extra (card+cardboard) back then (like they did in Kill team), especially for decade old kit like the Mausoleum.

Edited by RaiderX

9 hours ago, Kristensen said:

After the release of Warcry people will probably buy starter boxes for the Warcry warbands and sell the Terrain. 

On 7/29/2019 at 1:52 AM, RaiderX said:

It would be a challenge!

To be honest I am getting all 6 warbands so I will probably pick and choose depending on the terrain.

And I'm getting the terrain boxes to build up my general terrain for AoS

1 hour ago, Absolution black said:

It would be a challenge!

To be honest I am getting all 6 warbands so I will probably pick and choose depending on the terrain.

And I'm getting the terrain boxes to build up my general terrain for AoS

Well the price for the new terrain set (Shattered Stormvault) is in and it's the same as the Mausoleum, so if you really had lots of 90US$ to spare I'd suggest you buying multiple of that set instead.

Or if you want to expand the ruins terrain from the core set, get the Azyrite ruins/townscape.

There're also AoS objectile, and Shadespire Objectile that you can buy to replace those "objectile token" in the game. There're lots of better way to spend that 90$

• Like 1

Love the aesthetic, so picking these dudes up as soon as they are available.

From a stats point of view, obviously we don't have anything yet but I am expecting high move, decent attack and pretty rubbish toughness given the lack of armour. Interestingly a couple of models have spears, and the Unmade preview today would suggest these are range 2 weapons, so could be ideally suited to locking down enemy models, and supporting other models.

With their abilities they feel more like an army that will overwhelm after a turn or 2 of positioning. The Leader ability is a really strong aura buff (at this point it is actually the only one I have seen) so doing something like holding onto your wild dice, getting your Leader into the right spot, dropping a Shrike Talon with a quad and in range of the buff for effectively a 4 action, +1 strength, +1 attack activation seems sound.

The ranged attack is double is weaker than the Iron Golem version, but overall they are quite movement focussed.

Very excited to try them out.

19 hours ago, RaiderX said:

They're kinda gimmicky right now. From the GMG battle report, the starter set platform is almost 3", not high enough to activate their jump attack. And also you take impact damage while doing that.

Haven't watched the GMG battle report but people elsewhere are saying that they got a fair number of the rules wrong. In this case, if they said the platform is not 3" high they are wrong - if you have access to the IMGUR scan on the page titled GENERAL RULES you will see a picture of a platform and it described as 3" high, so enough to activate the jump attack.

Additionally you do not necessarily take impact damage. You take impact damage if you fall. Falling happens when you end a move action not on the battleground, not on a platform, and not climbing, and if climbing at the end of an activation. Climbing is just a fancy term for making a vertical move up or down on an obstacle.

So, if you have a move of 6" and are on the edge of a platform, activate Death from Above, move 3" vertically down (which is actually the height of the starter box  platforms) and 3" horizontally, you take no impact damage and have ticked the box for a 3" vertical downwards move  so additionally get the +1 strength bonus.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Haven't watched the GMG battle report but people elsewhere are saying that they got a fair number of the rules wrong. In this case, if they said the platform is not 3" high they are wrong - if you have access to the IMGUR scan on the page titled GENERAL RULES you will see a picture of a platform and it described as 3" high, so enough to activate the jump attack.

Additionally you do not necessarily take impact damage. You take impact damage if you fall. Falling happens when you end a move action not on the battleground, not on a platform, and not climbing, and if climbing at the end of an activation. Climbing is just a fancy term for making a vertical move up or down on an obstacle.

So, if you have a move of 6" and are on the edge of a platform, activate Death from Above, move 3" vertically down (which is actually the height of the starter box  platforms) and 3" horizontally, you take no impact damage and have ticked the box for a 3" vertical downwards move  so additionally get the +1 strength bonus.

Actually they just put a ruler over it and it's not exactly 3", but I guess that's rounding up because the example rule did claim it is 3"

It's still a gimmick imo, as the setup is obvious, and also require at least 2 move (climb + dive) as oppose to just move up to people and hit them. Impact damage is not a big deal, but I figure most people won't stay near a platform if you're right above them, so a fall would happen quite often.

Well if you're zoning people out of an area just by standing on terrain then it isn't really a gimmick. You can use the first turn to get into some prime positions near the objectives, and then your opponent has to decide if they want to concede the objective or risk the extra damage. Seems solid to me. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, but with a minor conversion. I cut off one of the cabalists hand and fitted it with the spear from the kneeling cabalist. That makes 3 cabalists with spears, 1 regular and 1 with familiar. With the rest of the models in the box it adds up to exactly 1000 points.

Edited by Hairojin
  • Thanks 3

I'm still building mine up (doing greenstuff rollers on my bases so will have to paint everything separately before putting them on bases) but I'm really keen to start hearing how people do. Looking at the cards they seem pretty squishy but I'm expecting a lot of their strengths is going to come from their abilities and getting extra attacks. Would be good to see how they do on boards without much levelled terrain as well just to see if that hampers them too much.