Beastgrave Speculation

AthelLoren

Yay! Underworlds season 3 has been teased at Open day! Let's speculate and just plain chat about what warbands we want to see and what the warbands in the starter will be. I think it'll be Creatures of the Forest (Satyr/Centaur aelves) vs BoC from the look of it. How about you?

That's looking like a solid guess! Though just silhouettes those are some distinctly woodelfy hair dos and fancy horned helmets.

While the beastman is most certainly a man beast, I'm wondering if they might be hiding a Khorne or Nurgley flavour. I'm hoping that later as Nurgle in AoS has a thematic tie in with forest what with the garden of Nurgle, the funny plague trees and his on going war with the Sylvaneth.

I'm excited to be surprised by Beastgrave. It seems like in some cases the Underworlds warbands are prototypes or teases for upcoming faction reimaginings (Zarbag's Gitz, Mollog, Godsworn, and now what looks very much like Wood Elves with centaurs), so I'm hoping for at least a few warbands that come totally out of left field.

At the same time, it seems like there's some existing factions that are just screaming out for warbands, like Idoneth Deepkin and Daughters Of Khaine.

With the new book coming out, I'd love to see a Cities Of Sigmar warband, combining a few very different characters under a unified aesthetic (just to take inspiration from Callis & Toll, perhaps something like a witch hunter, a freeguild soldier, and a scourge privateer?).

I think we're also due a new death warband or two - despite Nagash's importance to the setting, it feels he doesn't actually have much presence in the game compared to the other alliances. Perhaps Flesh Eater Courts this time? Lots of fun possibilities with them.

I've seen lots of people going down the rabbit hole of assuming that because this is set in Ghur that means all the warbands will reflect that - lots of beasts and savage warbands. But if you think about Nightvault, really only the two warbands in the core set had anything to do with the 'theme' of the season. It could have been called Night Of The Mushrooms and made just as much sense. I suspect it'll be the same here - nature-y Wood Elves vs bestial Beastmen in the core set, and then everything else a free-for-all.

Edited by robinlvalentine
  • Like 2

My wishlist:

- Base set without Stormcast (I already have those)

- Beasts of Chaos warband

- Wanderers warband

- Free Peoples warband (especially Ghur themed, would be brilliant!)

- White Lions themed warband (would fit Ghur perfectly)

- Ogor or Bonesplitters warband (again, fitting Ghur)

- Daughters of Khaine warband

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 2

Agreed on the "No More Stormcast" wagon. They have enough representation already. 

Looks like we're getting Cavalry type models which are pretty exciting. And IDK or DoK warband would be fantastic for me as I'd love to have those as Warbands. But then we could also get a little crazier with some Daemon warbands showing some personality of individual Daemons. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, zombiepiratexxx said:

Agreed on the "No More Stormcast" wagon. They have enough representation already. 

Looks like we're getting Cavalry type models which are pretty exciting. And IDK or DoK warband would be fantastic for me as I'd love to have those as Warbands. But then we could also get a little crazier with some Daemon warbands showing some personality of individual Daemons. 

I don't mind Stormcast in the extra warbands, I just do not want them in the base set.

Beastgrave Warbands

- Stormcast Sequitors (from Dreadfane - expect a full expansion)

- Banshees (from Dreadfane - expect a full expansion)

- Free Peoples OR Wood Aelves

- Savage Orcs (lead by a shaman hoo yeah)

- Beastmen

- Ogors (giant wolves or double ironguts...)

- Slaanesh themed band

- Nurgle themed band

BONUS - Daughters of Khaine replacing one of the others

New mechanic - models that take up 2 hexes (cavalry) OR terrain hexes

Edited by riddlesworth

Something else I'd actually like to see - 3D terrain that actually fits the game. I think as a concept it'd add a lot of personality to games, giving it a bit more of that wargame feel, but the pieces they put out for Nightvault were just silly, they looked pants and half of them were totally impractical to actually use for their intended purpose.

10 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Something else I'd actually like to see - 3D terrain that actually fits the game.

Like these very nice unofficial ones ?

Revears Resin Terrain

Guard Resin Terrain

Chosen Axes Resin Terrain

Only 3 warbands seem to have their own... I think they're from Poland.

Yes, if GW made them I would buy them all... All the ones relative to dwarves, of course...

Edited by WathLab

9 hours ago, WathLab said:

Like these very nice unofficial ones ?

Revears Resin Terrain

Guard Resin Terrain

Chosen Axes Resin Terrain

Only 3 warbands seem to have their own... I think they're from Poland.

Yes, if GW made them I would buy them all... All the ones relative to dwarves, of course...

Those are nice, and of course you can relatively easily make your own with leftover bits and some plasticard, but what I mean is I'd like to see GW integrate terrain into the game more substantially.

Perhaps an expansion that comes with a bunch of minis for traps, obstacles, magical barriers, etc, along with a bundle of cards that allow you to place, interact with, or destroy the new scenery. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

interact with, or destroy the new scenery

That in particular would be great - you could spend an attack action to try to destroy this intriguing ancient Sigmar  Kurnous statue...

To find what ? Glory points, ancient artififacts (best upgrades in the game), inspiration, other buffs, new objective tokens... or hidden beasts !

Wow.

Edited by WathLab
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, WathLab said:

That in particular would be great - you could spend an attack action to try to destroy this intriguing ancient Sigmar  Kurnous statue...

To find what ? Glory points, ancient artififacts (best upgrades in the game), inspiration, other buffs, new objective tokens... or hidden beasts !

Wow.

Or just to put an axe in the head of Sigmar...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

I admit I excited for the possibility of new warbands, but I'm also worried that this new edition will change the rules in some way that will invalidate Nightvault... And I only purchased it not too long ago! 😵

Don't think there's any reason to worry about that. Nightvault didn't invalidate Shadespire. 

On 7/26/2019 at 3:16 PM, robinlvalentine said:

Don't think there's any reason to worry about that. Nightvault didn't invalidate Shadespire. 

True, but... the new warbands released after Nightvault came out used the magic rules - so, if you didn't have Nightvault, you might not know how to use them. If Beastgrave adds some new rules that will be essential to playing the coming warbands, then you'll still need to buy the Beastgrave coreset to get the rules...

New wanderers will all be „hooved“ Satyr-like creatures..?

look at his feet, the length, position and overall pose suggests hooved elves.

832CE526-B5B8-4A44-B4CA-512FA9CEADED.jpeg.f5201f579489be599b4aeedeb6987172.jpeg

I wouldn‘t be surprised especially since GW leans AoS quite heavily into greek/Roman mythology. =}

plus the new Orion Drawing which is more tribal and quite different to the old Orion model.

BDB41DAA-F058-467C-AF22-96D237156E60.jpeg.bc99a50860397f8b3cd273303b4391f6.jpeg

Also both models wield a briar/thorn bow.

Hooved elves incoming! :}

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, PiotrW said:

True, but... the new warbands released after Nightvault came out used the magic rules - so, if you didn't have Nightvault, you might not know how to use them. If Beastgrave adds some new rules that will be essential to playing the coming warbands, then you'll still need to buy the Beastgrave coreset to get the rules...

I mean... yeah, I think you can taken it as a given that there will be at least one new mechanic and you'll need to buy the new core set to use any warband that uses that mechanic. But that's not really a big issue - there are 16 previous warbands you could still play, against each other or against the new warbands, and you shouldn't be at any disadvantage. And chances are that some amount of the new warbands won't require the new rules either (a quarter of the Nightvault warbands don't have wizards, for example). 

The Undeworlds starter sets so far have been super cheap too - only a little bit more than buying two new warbands anyway. So I don't think there's really any reason to be worried, even if you did buy Nightvault recently. 

I know there are plenty of other factions that desserve their own warbands in this coming Season 3... AND I desperately want Slaanesh and Dark Elves Pirates myself but...

But the Equation Beastgrave = Moutains = Dwarves seems very appealing to me.

Maybe totally unexpected Chaos Dwarves ???

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, JackStreicher said:

New wanderers will all be „hooved“ Satyr-like creatures..?

look at his feet, the length, position and overall pose suggests hooved elves.

Hooved elves incoming! :}

It would make sense to me to have a wardancer like faction spun out of the wood elves like DoK was spun out of old dark elves (and everyone expects angel/light elves to be spun out of high elves). On the other hand I prefer to think its a goth elf wearing new rocks until there is hard evidence otherwise.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:47 AM, riddlesworth said:

Beastgrave Warbands

- Stormcast Sequitors (from Dreadfane - expect a full expansion)

- Banshees (from Dreadfane - expect a full expansion)

- Free Peoples OR Wood Aelves

- Savage Orcs (lead by a shaman hoo yeah)

- Beastmen

- Ogors (giant wolves or double ironguts...)

- Slaanesh themed band

- Nurgle themed band

BONUS - Daughters of Khaine replacing one of the others

New mechanic - models that take up 2 hexes (cavalry) OR terrain hexes

We had that scaly tail rumour engine a while ago. What about a seraphon band - maybe that tail is a kroxigor with some skink buddies?

20 minutes ago, WathLab said:

But the Equation Beastgrave = Moutains = Dwarves seems very appealing to me.

Maybe totally unexpected Chaos Dwarves ???

I like the way you're thinking. We do have 1 official non-FW chaos dwarf in warcry incoming after all. Personally, I'd love to see some new dispossessed with characterful underworlds sculpts though, I know its a very worn out fantasy trope but I do like my dwarves old-fashioned, drunk and grumbling.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dr Ben said:

We had that scaly tail rumour engine a while ago. What about a seraphon band - maybe that tail is a kroxigor with some skink buddies?

Midway through Nightvault, my call for the warbands included Seraphon, but given the new army books previewed, i think that's a fairly good steer on what we might see. That and the dreadfane warbands