Charging vs Pile-in

Orvos

Question

A simple question that I'm struggling to find an answer for...

I have a Black Knights cavalry unit 10" away from an enemy unit. During the movement phase I move it 7" towards the enemy,  i.e. halting  3" from the enemy unit.

I'm now within pile-in range for the combat phase. BUT, I want to 'Charge', because I get buffs for charging with the unit (+1 attacks and +1 damage). Do I still have to roll for the Charge...because technically the Charge could still fail, if I roll double 1s...?

If I roll double 1s and the charge roll fails, presumably I can still pile-in, but won't get the charge buffs?

Is this correct? Thank you!!!!

4 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Orvos said:

I have a Black Knights cavalry unit 10" away from an enemy unit. During the movement phase I move it 7" towards the enemy,  i.e. halting  3" from the enemy unit.

I'm now within pile-in range for the combat phase. BUT, I want to 'Charge', because I get buffs for charging with the unit (+1 attacks and +1 damage). Do I still have to roll for the Charge...because technically the Charge could still fail, if I roll double 1s...?

If I roll double 1s and the charge roll fails, presumably I can still pile-in, but won't get the charge buffs?

You can't get into combat range by normal moves in the movement phase. (except you have a rule that you can pile in if you are more than 3" away like Yethees who can pile in while they are in 6" of enemy units), because you have to end normal movement outside 3" of enemy models while to pile in you need to be in 3" to the enemy unit.

Corerules Page 4, Enemy units and Retreat

When you make a normal move for
a model, no part of the move can be
within 3" of an enemy unit.

Corerules Page 5, Piling In

PILING IN
A unit can make a pile-in move if it
is within 3" of an enemy unit or has
made a charge move in the same
turn. If this is the case, you can
move each model in the unit up to
3". Each model must finish its pile-in
move at least as close to the nearest
enemy model as it was at the start of
the move.

So if you want to attack a unit in close combat you have to charge them or get into pile in range when another unit in combat piles in into the 3" Range of your unit.

And if you are in 3" you can't make chargemoves.

Corerules page 5, Charge Phase, Paragraph 1, last sentence

You cannot make a charge move
with a unit that has run or retreated
earlier in the turn, or with a unit that
is within 3" of an enemy unit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Orvos said:

You are not allowed to "halt" within 3 inches of enemy units:

"When you make a normal move for a model, no part of the move can be within 3" of an enemy unit [...]"

(https://ageofsigmar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2018/06/AoS_Rules-ENG.pdf, page 4)

I hope this allready answers your questions. If not, feel free to ask further.

• Like 1

That's great guys, thank you!

Looks like I was confused about the WITHIN 3" phrasing. I was assuming that stopping AT a distance of 3" still qualified for pile-in, but in fact the base has to be WITHIN 3", which obviously you can't do with a normal move....thus necessitating the Charge roll.

Brilliant!!! Thank you!!!

3 hours ago, Orvos said:

That's great guys, thank you!

Looks like I was confused about the WITHIN 3" phrasing. I was assuming that stopping AT a distance of 3" still qualified for pile-in, but in fact the base has to be WITHIN 3", which obviously you can't do with a normal move....thus necessitating the Charge roll.

Brilliant!!! Thank you!!!

Just to clarify: Exactly 3" away is within 3 ". You just can not reach this "boarder" with a normal move.