Warcry- Cypher Lords Discussion

Acid_Nine

I ummed and ahhed about which Chaos warband to go for, eventually went for Cypher Lords!

I really like how thematic their abilities are, especially Acrobatics and Shadowy Recall.

Also waiting on some Furies to be sent to me, considering subtly converting a trio of them to better fit the Cypher Lords (as I’ll be using them to bulk the warband out as Thralls).

Aside from branding them with the Eye of Nochseed and maybe swapping a dagger or two out with a spare Mindbound blade, any other suggestions?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 6:25 AM, Nikerym said:

So I had to look that one up, the answer is: No, using abilities does not cost an action. Please disregard my last post. (goes of to reread the rules) 

In a game where I had to keep certain members of my warband alive though turn 4, I was able to use Shadowy Recall to place a minion next to my Thrallmaster (with only 4 health) which had the Illuminate on opposite side to block my opponent from getting in to kill him. It won me the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Black Blade said:

Mindbound wear cloth only, Mirrorblade have chest armor

Thanks for that, but I’ve already assembled my set! 👌

For my Warcry hobby progress; currently basing up my Cypher Lords as well as a trio of Chaos Furies - initially plans were to convert them  to better match the Cypher Lords, big think I can only probably get away with some additional Nochseed branding (freehand) on their foreheads.

Edited by Circus of Paint
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:15 PM, Circus of Paint said:

For my Warcry hobby progress; currently basing up my Cypher Lords as well as a trio of Chaos Furies - initially plans were to convert them  to better match the Cypher Lords, big think I can only probably get away with some additional Nochseed branding (freehand) on their foreheads.

As well as branding you could also look at putting collars or just chain around their necks with a little bit draping down like a leash to show that they've been taken and subjugated by your warband as opposed to roaming free etc. Also something like runes on parts of the skin or wings to basically be like magical symbols that bind the fury under the command of your leader etc. Also another way to capture the enslaved thrall beast feel would be using blood for the blood god or other paints to make little wounds or bruises on the model to show where its been beaten  into submission etc. Stuff like that all kinda helps reflect the brutality of chaos whereas the brands and runes show a more refined way of taking control etc.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Do Cypher Lords really come with 28 mm bases (one of 3 base sizes included)?

I wanted to use the AoS shattered bases... :(

I can confirm. 3x25mm bases, 4x28mm bases and 1x32mm base.

The Luminate and  3 Mirrorblades are on 28mm.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:18 PM, Lightbox said:

As well as branding you could also look at putting collars or just chain around their necks with a little bit draping down like a leash to show that they've been taken and subjugated by your warband as opposed to roaming free etc. Also something like runes on parts of the skin or wings to basically be like magical symbols that bind the fury under the command of your leader etc. Also another way to capture the enslaved thrall beast feel would be using blood for the blood god or other paints to make little wounds or bruises on the model to show where its been beaten  into submission etc. Stuff like that all kinda helps reflect the brutality of chaos whereas the brands and runes show a more refined way of taking control etc.

I built the first three Furies normally. For the other three, I’ve taken the plunge and swapped out their daggers for spare Mindbound swords. This means I had to cut off their thumbs, which I’ll resculpt so they can actually hold the swords!

I’ll also probably add some subtle scarring on them as well with Green Stuff, and paint them up like fresh laceration wounds.

In addition, I’m also awaiting another three Mindbound to play around with and try some helmetless conversions / weapon swaps with. 👍

Edited by Circus of Paint
  • Like 1

Got a question for you fellow Cypher Lord players!  We started our local league and it has been a blast!  I have Dominated a territory and can now add 50 pts to my list and can take a Thrall.  That effectively netted me 75 points to add to my list (I started at 975 pts).  Looking at the options, I can afford a Fury, or a Mindbound (standard).  Looking at the stats, the Fury is 70 pts and has move 8 with fly, but all it's other stats are similar or worse than the Mindbound (move 5 and 75 pts).  I can see situations where having move 8 and fly would be very useful, but others where a double nets us fly anyway and I'd want more attacks and health.  Which would you take and why?  I'll try with each and see how it goes.

The Fury is more useful, but taking another pawn is ultimately a better choice, as they're always reliable, while the thrall can really tip of your game over some bad roll. If you just want to fool around then Thrall all the way, if you want consistency don't ever take them.

6 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

@RaiderX, how do you get the Thrall can tip your game over a bad roll? If you’re thinking about the opposing player taking control of your fury that only applies to wild beasts not thralls. Thralls are considered friendly fighters and a part of your warband. 

Oh silly me,  In that case the Fury is better. Having a mobile unit with fly is very handy, you can grab objectile or lock down annoying range fighter like Stormcast (or in most cast as a distraction since your opponent probably kill them first)

• Like 1

Had my first two games with the cypher lords yesterday and ooh lordy were they fun! First game was basically capture table quarters and my opponent was Iron Golems. It started pretty intensely with us both launching people into each other to try and take out models. I managed to eradicate his ogre using our quad ability on my leader (the amount of attacks we get makes crit fishing great) and in round 2 I managed to get ahead in scores by clever use of shadowy recall. I then managed to start whittling down his forces enough with crits and using my mobility to stop him being able to bring the game back on turn 3.

Second game vs same opponent but he swapped to his flesh eater courts. It was the scenario where you earn points by being on top of terrain, his army was smaller (2 flayers, 1 horror, 1 crypt infernal, 1 ghoul) but he had a lot of potential to eat my larger force up and make me lose my model advantage because cypher lords are kinda squish. Suffice to say his bad luck combined with my obscene amount of crits that game... (my luminate managed to do 37 points of damage to his crypt infernal in one activation [2 attacks with onslaught]) Unfortunately for him he struggled to kill off my models whilst I kinda somehow mulched his big beasties. 

I'm looking forward to get more use out of them as I'm really enjoying their playstyle and with my fickle luck having lots of attacks is helpful for me (I did get a couple of attack activations with no wounds on 5 or 6 dice) shadowy recall also is really nice to have in ones back pocket for objective manoeuvring.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What allies from the new expansion seem like they'd work well in a Cypher Lords warband?
The addition of wizards with ranged attacks seem like the most interesting change for warbands in general, but with our speed and polearms it feels like we might not need the range as much as some other factions. I'm curious about trying a chaos spawn -- it has the speed to keep up with our fighters and a pile of wounds with good toughness. Can't fly or teleport it, but a writing mass of flesh and teeth could draw a lot of attention away from our squishier fighters.

Regarding allies, I am leaning towards trying out some Tzeentch or Chaos wizard for a nice ranged ability.  However, the Darkoath heroes also have nice abilities and many attacks!  Up to 1300 pts (6 Dominated territories) I have typically added a few models and always take 1 Fury - the move 8 and fly can be quite helpful at times. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Ulfast said:

As a new player of Warcry and thinking to start Cyper Lords, do you have any good advice?

The Cypher Lords' strengths are their mobility and number of attacks.  I really like the 2" reach weapons so my 1k list is Thrallmaster, Luminate, 3 Mirrorblades with glaive, 2 Mindbound with Double-Bladed Sword, and 1 Mindbound.  You always want to run your Luminate and Thrallmaster in different sections, as they both can use the Shadowy Recall ability, which can be very useful.  Also, there is a good tactics blog out there somewhere and not to self-plug - we just did a Dogs of Warcry podcast covering Cypher Lords: https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-8mwzt-d08f5a?utm_campaign=au_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=au_share&fbclid=IwAR206ihDtkwzn9NCpK7zCCqj3la7KrFmCBN59ryAm0FkWCVf9rP9qxtm10Q

• 8 months later...

Hi all, 

I really liked the cypher lords vibe from the start. Got even better when I heard about the third arm on the leader. But those helmets kill the look for me. 

now with a lava board coming where you can jump across or even teleport and then stylishly push someone in... I’m committing to concerting a cypher lords warband. 
tjat my flgs has one with a discount also helps ;) 

but what about theme? The easiest solutions with my bit box is kairic acolytes head swap. Or sister of slaughter masks. With both I would like to keep the hair of the original models. 

but that’s not much of a theme. Any cool ideas? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Realmhead said:

Maybe lean in to the Light theme for them?  Paint your Thrallmaster and Luminate brightly, almost glowing, and use a progressively darker scheme as you go down the hierarchy? 

Haha I had the exact same thought but vice versa. So they start pure and hyshian and end up darker and corrupted 😂

But now I’m definitely doing something with the colors to denote rank. 
thanks, I’ll have think about what it should be? 🤔

maybe yin and yang the whole warband. So the two pike people same clothing scheme but reversed. There are an even number of models so should work.