Warcry- Cypher Lords Discussion

Acid_Nine

14 hours ago, Circus of Paint said:

I'll probably dip in the Chaos warbands starting with Cypher Lords. Gotta paint some long-outstanding DoK first and Warcry seems a great excuse to do so!

Personally I find their whole look really fascinating and a great glimpse at our first "proper" Hyshians.

Same! They're the kind of chaos themeing that really grabs me (opulence + deception + a liiiiittle bit of intelligence to hide the bat**** insanity).

The thrallmaster a.) being a ripped dude in flowy, pretty robes and b.) having a secret third arm behind em is exactly what sold me on it.

Edited by soak314
missing words
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

So I dunno if I'm just too sheltered, but how many of the cypher lords are guys and how many are women? Is it the point that you can't tell?

4 male, 4 female

Male

-Thrall master.

-Big dude(mindbound) with Nagamaki, also had optional build with 2 blades

-Big dude(mirrorblade) with Naginata

-Mindbound with 2 blades

Female

-Luminate , she's the one with the Crescent moon Spade.

-Mirror Blade with duealing swords

-Mindbound with double bladed staff/nagamaki, optional build with blade

-Mindbound with Blade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

Does anyone have a way to visually tell the difference between the Mindbound and the Mirrorblades?

The description on the warcry site is wrong. "Warbound with double-bladed sword" is the 80 points fighter, not the guy showed. With that in mind you can tell all Mirrorblade have the same rectangle-ish hat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RaiderX said:

Bummer they didn't had any abilities that allow them to dodge attack.

So they appear to be a tricksy style warband. They move quick. They  hit you then get teleported out. I see them being great at capturing objectives. I like their abilities, and the leaders ability to subtract 1 from every fighter attack within six inches is going to be brutal.  So my thoughts is this warband is going to want to try to dictate where fights are going to happen. They are not a a get up in your face a duke it out. They seem to be more hit and run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Circus of Paint said:

So;

2 x Mindbound

1 x Mindbound with Glaive

2 x Mirrorblades with Double-bladed Swords

1 x Mirrorblade (with Two Swords)

Correct?

Mirror blade didn't have double bladed sword. Mindbound has

there aref 3 mirror blade in the box, they all have chest armor plate. (or breastplate)

Mirror blade with 2 blades. (female)

Mirror blade with gllaive(2-handed), optional build into mirror blade with 2 swords. (male)

Mirror blade with glaive (1 handed glaive, the other hand chanting. (male)

Edited by RaiderX
  • Like 1

Hit hard and hit fast sums them up well, but there's another dimension that most people are ignoring:

Half the models have a 2 inch range. That means, for most of the Iron Golems (especially them) and Untamed Beasts, on the first turn where you get into combat they're going to have to spend one action to get into range, cutting damage taken in half on the turn you engage. And if you're engaged with other factions with 2-3 inch reach, most of those models aren't going to have to disengage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

Mirror blade didn't have double bladed sword. Mindbound has

there aref 3 mirror blade in the box, they all have chest armor plate. (or breastplate)

Mirror blade with 2 blades. (female)

Mirror blade with gllaive(2-handed), optional build into mirror blade with 2 swords. (male)

Mirror blade with glaive (1 handed glaive, the other hand chanting. (male)

That's really helpful thanks!

Looking at the armour (especially their should pads), I see the difference now! The Mirrorblades (and Luminate) are also on the new 28mm bases which also helps to distinguish them from the Mindbound on 25mms.

I didn't realise one of the double-hander Mirrorblades had an alternative build option.

Is there also an alt-build for one of the Mindbound - or are we stuck with two 75pt normals and one 80pt Glaive?

Edited by Circus of Paint

11 hours ago, Circus of Paint said:

That's really helpful thanks!

Is there also an alt-build for one of the Mindbound - or are we stuck with two 75pt normals and one 80pt Glaive?

Yes, the Mindbound with double bladed sword can be built into a Mindbound, look at the sprue it's the bit right next to the double bladed sword. It look like a Khopesh (an Egypt sword)

Building my list and I find Thrallmaster are too expensive for my liking, I had to remove the Luminate if I want a 10-man list.

Hopefully we had more cheaper leader option in future expansion.

Also I like how they model the Thrallmaster to look like a range fighter that would stay away from CQC, turn out he fights with his fists and he hit like a truck.

Edited by RaiderX
  • Like 1

The Cypher Lords are the real deal. I am now 2 and 0 with them. I love the play style. Hit and run. 

Pros:  Great movement, Great damage potential, 2inch on some mele attacks, Outstanding Quad and triple abilities.

Cons: Very Squishy, require serious tactics. (Old wood elf, and beastmen players will love them), The double abilities not so good.

29 minutes ago, tyler1906 said:

The Cypher Lords are the real deal. I am now 2 and 0 with them. I love the play style. Hit and run. 

Pros:  Great movement, Great damage potential, 2inch on some mele attacks, Outstanding Quad and triple abilities.

Cons: Very Squishy, require serious tactics. (Old wood elf, and beastmen players will love them), The double abilities not so good.

The only bad double is sweeping blow, probably useful once GW introduce ...mowing grass mission.

Throwing star is extra damage, usually better than onslaught at dice value 3-6 if you can only attack once. Not the most fun or creative ability but they get the job done

Acrobatic Leap allow you to leap over walls and platform.

Acrobatic leap is nice. But usually I use my wild dice on a double to make a triple. Teleport and  -1 to attack is just more valuable..lol. But the are good. The melee rage of 2 is a big deal especially when using the somersault quad ability with the luminate..I move bonus move to opp staying at 2inches. Bonus attack 5 dice and if I am luck to get two crits that is 10 damage off that back. Now I can either secure the kill or move 5 inch away. Too good. I did this a couple of times today.

I find Shadowy Recall to be an odd ability. The only 2 units that can use it are your leader or the luminate (2 most expensive units, and the ones with the most damage potential) Wasting an action and 3 dice to "save" a 75-120 point figure (or possision them to attack) feels wrong given that action economy is a big part, and not using your best fighter (I mean 5 attacks with 2/6 is insane!) to fight just feels wrong.